Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DaveinOlyWA said:
nice but so used to it the charge/discharge being displayed the other way
I am following Nissan's convention where current into the battery is positive and drain is always negative. Think of it as your bank account. Positive entries are good.

Since the app no longer uses the ELM 12v measurement command the Settings panel used to calibrate it has also been removed.

Here is what the volts/amps data looks like for a two drive trip plus a plug-in with no charge.

97c20.jpg

Note that at the end of the drive when the Leaf gets plugged into the charger but not enabled to charge the battery provides 1.59 amps for the 15 minutes until the three dash charge lights stop flashing and the Leaf goes to sleep.

You can see the Leaf makes no use of the power it has available from the charging cable to power any of the Leaf's electronics during this 15 minute period.

It will be interesting to see what this looks like during a charge.

I need a quick test of this new version from one or more of my testers with 2013/2014 Leafs to be sure the 12 volt amps read is being read. If you are a tester please install today's version when it shows up for install (about 90 minutes from now).

Once someone confirms the amps reading works on the newer model Leafs I will release to everyone.

New versions are:

Leaf Spy 0.32.26
Leaf Spy Pro 0.33.38

If you don't see a non zero amps reading send me an ELM trace so I can fix the code.

If you see a value of -128.00 for amps send me an ELM trace.

A trace from a 2013 Leaf shows that Nissan not only changed the message length for read 12v battery amps but also changed the encoding format for amps. I will need more data to determine this new encoding format.

Until I figure out the new format reading/displaying 12v battery amps will be limited to 2011/2012 Leafs.

Agreed. I have never seen a charging system display that did not show current in the battery as negative and current out of the battery as positive...

DaveinOlyWA said:

TomT said:
Agreed. I have never seen a charging system display that did not show current in the battery as negative and current out of the battery as positive...

DaveinOlyWA said:

Even the LEAFs dash shows positive (to the right) for energy out of the battery and negative (to the left) for regen into the battery.

QueenBee said:
TomT said:

DaveinOlyWA said:

Even the LEAFs dash shows positive (to the right) for energy out of the battery and negative (to the left) for regen into the battery.
That dash is showing Motor power not battery. So to the right is power to the Motor and left is power from the motor.

Into is positive and out of is negative. It is all relative to the object. When you add something that is positive when you remove that is negative.

With the GID-Meter, I show the Battery Pack outputs, both voltage and current,
as positive.

With only four digits to use, and output currents over 99.9 amps
possible in normal operation, then 123.4 amps output is consistant with
392.6 volts output.

Charging and Regen currents are usually less than 100.0 amps, so
showing -40.6 (amps) worked for me, as my Current Out value.

Power out is usually less than 100 kW, so I show P80.6 for Power Out,
and C30.6 (kW) for Charging power into the Battery Pack, again trying
to identify the values and show the numerics in four "digits".

But, that is just what worked for me, and seemed to make sense
to my somewhat alien (perhaps hybrid) brain. :)

I just bought Leaf Spy Pro and don't know how to enable battery AMPs as in Leaf battery. In Leaf Battery to see the BAT Amps I had to select Alt Gids in the configuration but that option is not available anymore. Is there anyway to see BAT Amps and not the motor rpm?

vegastar said:
I just bought Leaf Spy Pro and don't know how to enable battery AMPs as in Leaf battery. In Leaf Battery to see the BAT Amps I had to select Alt Gids in the configuration but that option is not available anymore. Is there anyway to see BAT Amps and not the motor rpm?
Alt Gids were dropped as it was not supported on the newer Leafs. When reading Alt Gids the battery AMPs value was also included in the data the Leaf returned so I got it for free.

I will look into restoring HV battery amps in a future update. There are many Leaf parameters that could be read and displayed. I just need to decide on a logical way to show this additional information (like DC/DC converter temperature). Should there be a separate data screen? Should it be user configurable?

Keep in mind that battery amps changes rapidly while driving and the value that was displayed when selecting Alt Gids was only updated every few seconds.

I might add a special monitor mode where only battery amps/voltage are read which would increase the update rate to many times a second at the expense of not reading anything else from the Leaf.

garygid said:
With the GID-Meter, I show the Battery Pack outputs, both voltage and current,
as positive.

With only four digits to use, and output currents over 99.9 amps
possible in normal operation, then 123.4 amps output is consistant with
392.6 volts output.

Charging and Regen currents are usually less than 100.0 amps, so
showing -40.6 (amps) worked for me, as my Current Out value.

Power out is usually less than 100 kW, so I show P80.6 for Power Out,
and C30.6 (kW) for Charging power into the Battery Pack, again trying
to identify the values and show the numerics in four "digits".

But, that is just what worked for me, and seemed to make sense
to my somewhat alien (perhaps hybrid) brain. :)
I am showing the 12v battery amps as I get it from the Leaf in the format the Leaf is sending. I am not deciding on a polarity. It comes that way and that is what I am going to display.

Back to more important issues. I need log files (the .csv file) from testers who have 2013/2014 Leafs using the latest Leaf Spy Pro test version 0.33.39. This will save the 12v battery amps data in a format I can analyze to determine the changes from the older Leafs.

If screen 3 is not being used for anything, would that be
a good place to put many of these miscellaneous values?

Perhaps some buttons on that screen would select which
groups of values would be shown in the center of that screen?

Turbo3 said:
vegastar said:
Alt Gids were dropped as it was not supported on the newer Leafs. When reading Alt Gids the battery AMPs value was also included in the data the Leaf returned so I got it for free.

I will look into restoring HV battery amps in a future update. There are many Leaf parameters that could be read and displayed. I just need to decide on a logical way to show this additional information (like DC/DC converter temperature). Should there be a separate data screen? Should it be user configurable?

Keep in mind that battery amps changes rapidly while driving and the value that was displayed when selecting Alt Gids was only updated every few seconds.

I might add a special monitor mode where only battery amps/voltage are read which would increase the update rate to many times a second at the expense of not reading anything else from the Leaf.

I use the HV battery amps to check how fast is DC fast charge progressing, so when it slows down I usually disconnect. Also, here in Portugal some DCFC are slower than 125A (I found one that was only 40A...) and this is the only way to know.

Those engineering parameters (Amps, temperatures, etc) are great for many advanced users, but since many users won't find them useful probably they could stay in a separate screen as you suggested.

For now I could just use the old Leaf battery App to check the current during charging, but it would be great to have all these data in LSP.

Turbo3,

I may have found a bug: I am not sure which version first had the problem, but the SOC% (in lower left corner) does not update on the battery cell screen on my Kyocera Event unless I switch to the screen which shows Gids, SOC, tire pressures, etc. I am using v0.33.39 now. By the way, I like the 12-volt battery information that was added with the latest version.

Gerry

vegastar said:
Turbo3 said:
vegastar said:

I use the HV battery amps to check how fast is DC fast charge progressing, so when it slows down I usually disconnect. Also, here in Portugal some DCFC are slower than 125A (I found one that was only 40A...) and this is the only way to know.

Those engineering parameters (Amps, temperatures, etc) are great for many advanced users, but since many users won't find them useful probably they could stay in a separate screen as you suggested.

For now I could just use the old Leaf battery App to check the current during charging, but it would be great to have all these data in LSP.
You should be using the new charge graph on screen 2 for that function. It will show you the charge power dropping as the charge level (SOC) increases. No need to look at battery amps.

The graph makes it very easy to see when the charge is slowing down.

GerryAZ said:
Turbo3,

I may have found a bug: I am not sure which version first had the problem, but the SOC% (in lower left corner) does not update on the battery cell screen on my Kyocera Event unless I switch to the screen which shows Gids, SOC, tire pressures, etc. I am using v0.33.39 now. By the way, I like the 12-volt battery information that was added with the latest version.

Gerry
Good catch.

Fixed in 0.33.40 for Leaf Spy Pro and 0.32.37 for Leaf Spy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just uploaded 0.33.40 to Playstore for testing by testers. If no other problems are found I will move it to the general release step (Publish it) in the next day or two.

garygid said:
This ver 33.40 seems to have lost all the "previous" data.
No problem if that was intentional, but the previous update
retained the "old" data. FYI, Gary
Do you recall if it was just the 96 cell pair data that got cleared or did it include the VIN, SOH,Hx and other saved data?

Back