Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great, thanks! Having to add the other account is the little snippet I forgot!

Pipcecil said:
Ok, since many android phones have other "skins" on top by the phone manufacturer, this might be slightly different - but it should get you close enough to do this, this is from an unskinned phone (pure android). In addition the android version could also cause other small changes to how this works:

I am assuming one of the phones uses the account that you bought leaf spy pro on. So I will just assume that for now.

On the phone that needs leaf spy, go to your phone's settings. Under settings should be a header "Accounts" and a button to "add account". Add the gmail email of the "account" that has leaf spy pro purchased under (will need password obviously). Uncheck/check all the items you want to come over to the phone (emails, contact list, etc.) and confirm the addition.

Once this email account has been added go to the Google Play store. In the upper left should be the thee lines to access options (if not you may have a earlier version of the Google Play store - see if you can't get the latest version or find the options for that version). On the top of the options is the account that is current in the play store, hit the down arrow to see all accounts and select the account you just added. Go to the leaf spy pro app (either by "my apps" or finding it in the store). Download the app (since this account already had purchased it). Once downloaded and installed, switch accounts back to the original in the play store (using the same method).

Done and enjoy!

I have been analyzing the Leaf Spy log. Field "Motor Pwr(100w)" is a bit puzzling. The heading would seem to indicate that the unit number of 100w units, however, the numbers do not seem to correspond to this, multiplying by 100 seems to produce number which is substantially less than actual power used by the car, and it does not seem to be decimal point problem either. I would like to have Watts? For example, when driving 120 km/hour constant speed (gps measured) the number seems to hover around 100, and 10kW is way too little for that speed (Leaf itself says something like 250Wh/km)

hsuonsivu said:
I have been analyzing the Leaf Spy log. Field "Motor Pwr(100w)" is a bit puzzling. The heading would seem to indicate that the unit number of 100w units, however, the numbers do not seem to correspond to this, multiplying by 100 seems to produce number which is substantially less than actual power used by the car, and it does not seem to be decimal point problem either. I would like to have Watts? For example, when driving 120 km/hour constant speed (gps measured) the number seems to hover around 100, and 10kW is way too little for that speed (Leaf itself says something like 250Wh/km)
Leaf Spy provides the raw Motor Power number reported by the Leaf. We do not know for sure the units but they looked like 100w units.

More data needs to be collected to see if this is correct or if some other unit or formula is needed to translate them into watts. This is why I chose to record them in the raw units so other translations could be made after collecting the data.

My ELM327 mini arrived today so I plugged it into the CAN bus plug under my steering column. When I couldn't connect with LeafSpy I powered the car up. I'm getting an I-key fault message & 3 bars where the km range should be on the drivers display which goes away when I unplug the ELM. Fair to say I've got a dodgy ELM?

I had a close look at the ELM mini pcb (it's vaguely visible through the blue plastic moulding). There is a SM led (led2) on the pcb that doesn't come on when I plug it in. Is it supposed to?

Sorry for interrupting the discussion...
I downloaded some interesting data from my LEAF battery temperature sensors using LEAF spy which I would like to share with you all...
I looked back at the data log from tonight's drive home from work and noticed that all three temperature sensors for the battery showed a decrease in temp as I drove home! :) Each sensor showed ~ a 3 to 4 degree F drop. Has anyone else noticed this kind of great news using the LEAF spy app?! Can you tell that i'm ecstatic?! ;)

I do notice a temp drop sometimes, but it really depends. Mostly it occurs when the battery temps are significantly warmer than the ambient temperatures. This usually occurs after I QC in the cooler months or when I take the my car out from the garage during warmer weather in the mornings.

I always see batteries warming up as I drive the car. This is my typical drive to work:
TempVsChargeGraphExample.png

(if you want to make nice graphs like this quickly and easily PM me for free access to http://www.leaflogger.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Here is the change list for test version 0.31.33 that I will be releasing later today to the tester group.

Both Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro will get these new features.

6j1e.png
c1gi.png
ixdq.png

Here are screenshots of the two new screens. Left normal and right zoomed in. Note for zoom/scroll to be active you need to be in "Screen Frozen" mode. To be able to change screens again you will need to tap the Screen Frozen message to toggle it off.

To take a charge graph on model years 2013 on up you need to have the Leaf turned back on after the charge has started otherwise the CAN bus will go to sleep after a few minutes. On 2011/2012 the CAN bus stays active while charging and for 15 minutes after the end of a charge.

Red is %SOC, Magenta is %Gids (where 281=100%), Blue is charge Kw. SOC will always be greater than Gids.
5nvc.png
07mq.png

Blue is elevation and Red is speed.
j1mu.png
q6lx.png

Turbo3 said:
Here is the change list for test version 0.31.33 that I will be releasing later today to the tester group.

I have a 2014 SL so I can help with the gear position. Let me know what you need...

Dan

dan2112 said:
Turbo3 said:

I have a 2014 SL so I can help with the gear position. Let me know what you need...

Dan
You will just need to enable logging then start the Leaf up in drive mode and shift through all the combinations.

Then import the log file into excel and look in column EN for the new number not in my table or just send me the log file.

Thanks for helping out.

I originally thought adding the Gear Position to the Log file would make it easier to determine start and end of trip.

However, in looking at my wife's logs I see she shifts into Park while waiting at a long stop lights.

============================
2:06 PM PDT uploaded Leaf Spy Pro version 0.31.33 to google Play Store for tester group. In 90 minutes it should be available for testers to install.

A lot of excellent work, as usual. Many Thanks,

One suggestion.
If possible, arrange the test apps from the play store so that they do not
install over the Release app, but install with a different name and/or icon.
Then, comparisons with the last release can be made, and if the test version
has bugs that make it unusable in some way, the tester is not "stuck" until
a new version comes out. Also, the tester can still demo the last Release to
others, and better help others with questions and training issues.
Thanks for considering this.
Cheers, Gary

What message are you sending to get the leaf battery voltage? It seems from the service manual a lot of modules have their own voltage measurements available. If you are querying the DC/DC it shouldn't be too hard to get some other goodies!

garygid said:
A lot of excellent work, as usual. Many Thanks,

One suggestion.
If possible, arrange the test apps from the play store so that they do not
install over the Release app, but install with a different name and/or icon.
Then, comparisons with the last release can be made, and if the test version
has bugs that make it unusable in some way, the tester is not "stuck" until
a new version comes out. Also, the tester can still demo the last Release to
others, and better help others with questions and training issues.
Thanks for considering this.
Cheers, Gary
Gary,

I wish it worked that way in PlayStore. There is not even an option to withdraw a test version so that I could get everyone back to the released one.

Their system seems very primitive to me which is strange since there are so many apps out there and other developers must have the same issue. Perhaps I am missing something in how it should work.

I am wondering if you back out of the tester program does it revert you to the release level? If you back out do I need to send you another invitation to get back in again?

It would take some work but perhaps I could make up a Leaf Spy tester app that does little to nothing and release that on Playstore for free. Then I can upload test versions of the real app which can only be downloaded by test members and since it is free you would not need to buy it a second time. Any new testers would just need to provide me with their purchase ID to join the group. Since it is a different app it can have a unique icon with the word "Test" added to it.

With the new backup and restore settings feature you could easily move your settings from the official app to the test app. Just save with one then restore with the other since they use the same folder for save and restore (file name is different for Lite,standard,Pro versions).

I will look into that after I release this next version. Right now I noticed that my 0.1 second heartbeat timer is not working and can be anywhere from 500 to 1500 msec. You can see this in the state numbers stepping very slowly and slow responses to tapping the screen.

Just added new option in selecting Model Year of "BMS" at the top of the list before 2011. If you select this then only request to the BMS are made by the app. This is to support people who are getting Leaf battery packs from junked Leafs for use in upgrading other cars to electric drive. You need to wire the EV-CAN wires coming out of the BMS to the CAR-CAN pins (6/14) of the OBDII connector to allows standalone reading from just the battery pack.

JeremyW said:
What message are you sending to get the leaf battery voltage? It seems from the service manual a lot of modules have their own voltage measurements available. If you are querying the DC/DC it shouldn't be too hard to get some other goodies!
Are you referring to the 12v battery or the HV battery?

The new 12v reading comes from the VCM ECU.

The two HV battery readings come from the message that reads all the cell pair voltages. They have always been read by the app along with the 96 cell voltages just never displayed/logged until now.

Sorry, 12v battery. On page EVC-57 of the service manual, there's quite a list of things that can be monitored with the consult tool that come from the VCM. I think a lot of these things are being queried for. I won't list them here, but there's quite a few things like coolant temp, pump speed, and my favorite at the moment "VCM POWER SUPPLY (ACT) - Displays the 12V power supply voltage of the VCM when the VCM is started"

My CANary is up and running (and logging) now so I hope to contribute more in this area. :)

I think I found a minor bug. On one of the screens, if I hit menu, I get two options to select the ODBII. Here is the screenshot:

2014-05-26%2022.03.00.jpg

I am running v0.31.33.

On a side note, what do the three different lines on this screen mean? I don't see a legend.

I have seen that too but don't have a sequence to reproduce it.

If you can find a sequence that always causes it to happen that would be a big help.

In night mode:
Red= SOC%
Blue=GID%
Green=Charge Power

Added Colors and Labels to the screen

pjnw.png
k1li.png

Thanks Turbo3. I will try to find a way to consistently reproduce the issue.

Another minor bug:
On the charging screen, I tapped the area to freeze the screen, it said screen frozen, and then I zoomed in. The screen, however, kept updating as the car charged. In short, it did not freeze.

As a usability side-note, although I have been using this app for a while, I didn't know that there were all of these different options on screen two. subscreens? I am not sure how to make them more obvious. Maybe the 0 in the lower left that indicates the screen you are on could be a number to indicate how many subscreens there are.

I had not thought about it but yes the new charge and elevation/speed screens will continue to be updated even when Frozen.

To freeze those screens I would need to add a second array. They are different from the other screens as they are displaying history data. The other screens are reading data from the Leaf so I can just skip updating the screen. If I did that for the charge elevation/speed screens then zoom/scroll would not work.

So I will just change the name from Screen Frozen to Zoom/Scroll.

I am not sure just adding a number would make it clear that there are more screens available by tapping. I will need to think about that one. It is described in the built-in help.

8wn1.png

Back