LEAF in Kansas City

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Efacec DCQC in the KC City area is impressive. The dual-standard units seem very solid and easy to use.

I've charged at about a dozen different DCQC units and I rank them at the top with AddEnergie's (I think the latter are only deployed in Quebec for now).
The one sad thing is how there are so many CHAdeMO in St. Louis and around KC, but nothing in between.

Nissan should be advertizing their investment in CHAdeMO as well as covering the important corridors, instead of just silently equipping the largest cities.

Berlino said:
The Efacec DCQC in the KC City area is impressive. The dual-standard units seem very solid and easy to use.

I've charged at about a dozen different DCQC units and I rank them at the top with AddEnergie's (I think the latter are only deployed in Quebec for now).
The one sad thing is how there are so many CHAdeMO in St. Louis and around KC, but nothing in between.

Nissan should be advertizing their investment in CHAdeMO as well as covering the important corridors, instead of just silently equipping the largest cities.

One interesting thing on the devices, they're labelled as implemented by KCPL but 'electricity supplied by nissan'

I received the following email on Wednesday from Nissan indicating my CARWINGS subscription is being extended:

Great news, Eric! Your CARWINGS1 subscription has been extended.

When you purchased your Nissan LEAF,® it included three years of complimentary CARWINGS—the innovative system that lets you communicate remotely with your car to check the charging status of your battery, set timers, turn on climate control, find local charging stations and more. To thank you for being among the first gas-free drivers, we've extended your subscription until further notice.

While we do anticipate CARWINGS being a paid subscription service in the future, you'll get at least 90 days' notice before your complimentary subscription expires.

We hope you're enjoying your 100% electric Nissan LEAF and that CARWINGS has become part of your daily driving routine. (And if you haven't tried it yet, download the app today for iPhone® or Android.™) If you have any questions about CARWINGS, please call us toll free at 1-877-NO-GAS-EV.

Keep Charging On!

New Member, long time EV'r. Just saying hi. I started commuting 35mi/day electric in 2010 in a Red 1986 BMW-3 series converted to electric in California. I swapped the batteries for 14.4kwh of LiFEPO4 / 156v. When used Leafs became cheap in 2013, I purchased one for steal and I've been driving it ever since. I've put about 30,000 miles on it now. And I figure I've driven probably 50,000 all-electric miles. My 2011 SL has the (at that time optional) CHaDemo and the DC fast chargers have changed how I can use the car. How novel that a 4-yo car can take on a whole new purpose. Last weekend I did a 130mi trip in my Leaf. DO NOT place any trust in Prarie Fire! All the other DCFS are find, this one has troubles. Otherwise, great trip.

I also purchased a Chevy Volt last year. Great car for my wife, as she just wants to go all over town and first 40mi will be electric. I've been itching for a Model-S, but yeah...

-Bruce

ericvoll said:
I received the following email on Wednesday from Nissan indicating my CARWINGS subscription is being extended:

Great news, Eric! Your CARWINGS1 subscription has been extended.

When you purchased your Nissan LEAF,® it included three years of complimentary CARWINGS—the innovative system that lets you communicate remotely with your car to check the charging status of your battery, set timers, turn on climate control, find local charging stations and more. To thank you for being among the first gas-free drivers, we've extended your subscription until further notice.

While we do anticipate CARWINGS being a paid subscription service in the future, you'll get at least 90 days' notice before your complimentary subscription expires.

We hope you're enjoying your 100% electric Nissan LEAF and that CARWINGS has become part of your daily driving routine. (And if you haven't tried it yet, download the app today for iPhone® or Android.™) If you have any questions about CARWINGS, please call us toll free at 1-877-NO-GAS-EV.

Keep Charging On!
Curious that I haven't received that notice, since we purchased our cars within a couple of days of each other...I don't like to "assume" anything, but perhaps my subscription will just "magically" continue. ;)

bruceme said:
New Member, long time EV'r. Just saying hi.
Hi Bruce, welcome to our little community. Whereabouts in KC are you? I've noticed quite a few more LEAFs in the Northlands.
bruceme said:
I've been itching for a Model-S, but yeah...
Now that the 70 KWh model with AWD is the base model, I've taken a peek again myself. I was at the Tesla store in KCMO on Monday and have a test drive scheduled for April 19. I keep rationalizing that with one more Supercharger halfway between KC and STL (which I could even now bridge with a short Level 2 stop), I can visit my mom in Pittsburgh for zero fuel costs.

Ob LEAF content: Now that the L3 chargers popped up like crocuses, has anyone noticed any more L2 EVSEs being installed in the KC area? I keep looking at PlugShare, but I don't really see any new ones.

-Karl

MobileEV said:
Ob LEAF content: Now that the L3 chargers popped up like crocuses, has anyone noticed any more L2 EVSEs being installed in the KC area? I keep looking at PlugShare, but I don't really see any new ones.

-Karl
Our electrician at the hospital leaked news Wednesday that we signed a contract Tuesday to install several L2s here. He dropped the name Lilypad, so maybe there's some truth to it and Facilities has an actual contract. We have multiple buildings and parking lots surrounding our main downtown campus and supposedly they'll be going into each of the lots. I'll believe it when I see it! I'd rather there be a DCQC on hospital hill...

Kathy

MobileEV said:
The rebates are still available, but they keep going down in value.

They're $1.00 per Watt through the end of 2015.

http://www.kcpl.com/save-energy-and-money/for-home/home-rebates/mo/solar-power-rebate" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My out of pocket without the KCPL rebate is about $3.35 per Watt. So if you can get $1.00 off, it's down to $2.35 per Watt. That makes for quick payback.

If anyone is interested, private message me and I can hook you up with the installer, with whom I am very pleased so far.

BTW, nice work on hunting down the L3 chargers. I will likely try the one in Liberty tomorrow.

Karl
Thank you Karl for showing me around your solar powered home solution last Monday. It was very informative. I made an appointment with your installer that same day based on your recommendation. I am excited to learn more about the products, rebates, and tax credit.

Henry said:
Welcome to the forum Bruce. What color is your Leaf? Can I ride shotgun on your Tesla test drive? (just kidding)

Red 2011 SL

I forgot to say, I lost 1 bar of charge last fall at about 32,000 mi (it has 5,000 when I bought it used if you do the math). Not shedding any tears... just smiling past every gas station.

bruceme said:
MobileEV said:
Whereabouts in KC are you?

Thanks Karl,

Western Shawnee

Bruce, welcome to the forum. Nice to have another JOCO member. Mine is the red 2012 you'll see in Lenexa =)

You're absolutely correct, the dcqc in PrairieFire will be problematic even if they get the device working because it will be ICE'd all the time.

Tom

Bruce,
Was that your Leaf I parked next to at First Watch Saturday morning?

Do I get to claim first "wrecked" Leaf in KC?

"Wrecked" = scraped bumper when another car and I backed into each other at the same time. Yes, I have a camera but I didn't see the lights until they got real big real fast. Rear bumper scraped to the black. This was like 2 weeks ago.

Tom

As for "wrecked" -- some fine young fellow did $550 damage to my bumper in Summer of 2013, when my 2012 Leaf was less than a year in service.

I did not have it repaired....

I was chatting with a fellow who told me that a 2013 black Leaf came off lease and was for sale in NKC for $13,000 No accidents....

Why would I bother to repair anything on an old Leaf. They will depreciate regardless of condition. Still will be drivers, as is mine. But not worth spending money to fix scrapes and dinges...

cdherman said:
I was chatting with a fellow who told me that a 2013 black Leaf came off lease and was for sale in NKC for $13,000 No accidents....
I haven't seen a 2013 that low, but the 2012s certainly are getting quite cheap. It's only a matter of time with potential owners watching for LEAF 2.0 with more range.

http://goo.gl/28LFAC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-Karl

So, guess what I got Friday?

I've been using my ChargePoint card to activate their stations, but contactless credit cards can also be used. That means Apple Pay on my iPhone 6 or on my new Apple Watch can also be used. I've started using my Apple Watch to activate the stations, and it's very convenient. At the free stations (most of them are of course), I just hold up my Apple Watch up to the sensor to authorize the transaction. It hits my card with a $1.00 authorization (which goes away after a week), and the station activates. The free stations are still free.

Normally, I would use my ChargePoint to deactivate the station. For the Apple Pay; however, it's my understanding that the card information changes every time it's used, so I would suspect that you can't deactivate the station by using Apple Pay again. The station would probably see it as another credit card.

For the level 3 ChargePoint stations, just press any of the four buttons next to the display, and you are presented with an option to stop charging. Press the corresponding button, and your session will be completed. For the level 2 stations, you just unplug your car when done (if using the J1772 connector). For the level 1 stations, it might be more complicated. I know the cover locks over your power cord, so you have to use your card to unlock. These might not work, because you wouldn't be able to unlock when done.

Using an iPhone or Apple Watch to activate ChargePoint stations is awesome!!

My brother-in-law works for KCPL and sent me these pictures today, sorry I'm not sure the location. Wish Oklahoma would get off their butts and do something like this.
IMG_0248.jpg

IMG_0249.jpg

IMG_0250.jpg

mayo said:
My brother-in-law works for KCPL and sent me these pictures today, sorry I'm not sure the location. Wish Oklahoma would get off their butts and do something like this.
Yes, they're switching into high gear. My employer has been contacted to install up to 12 stations and they want to do it by June 1. They must have some kind of internal deadline. It would be interesting to see a progress map.

Just stopped at the Liberty Price Chopper DCQC and good news: they have marked the space! There was a cone blocking the space while the paint dried, but the cord still reached. 35KW peak @ 80% batter. PlugShare seems to be wonky, so I couldn't check in. A quick thanks to the girl at the cafe while picking up a bagel (on sale too) inside sealed the deal.

A good start to a Friday. Pleasant weekend to all!

Karl

Attachments

• 2015-05-01 08.53.20.jpg
    2015-05-01 08.53.20.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 25
Back