LEAF in Kansas City

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, they have no chance of ever selling me a gas car. I won't buy anything but electric unless something better comes along and something better is not fool cell or cng or flex fuel or petrol

One a second note, i'm wondering if my math skills are deficient. I think I counted the capacity bars wrong as there are clearly 11 still and have been for several days. Note to self, don't check car when leaving office after work. You'll be fried.

Thanks to MobileEV for his open invitation that he posted here on 2/15/2015 to view and discuss his solar panel configuration. I visited with him in April and now have a pallet of solar panels sitting in my garage waiting to be installed. The goal is 9990 kW (37 x 270W). If only it would stop raining. :cry:

Henry,

I'm glad it worked out! I'm still pleased with the installer in terms of follow-through. Last month's power bill was $5...$9 connection fee and I sold so!e power back. Now I don't have to listen to the whole "driving on coal" argument any more.

In other news, the KCMO 72nd and Prospect HyVee EVSEs I posted about earlier are now online! I see Eric already checked in on PlugShare and updated the profile.

Less than 2 weeks to insanity! ;-)

Karl

The used prices on used LEAFs seems to keep dropping. Sucks for us early adopters unless you weren't planning to sell/trade anyway. Mine will become my daughter's first car when she turns 16, and in the mean time will remain my daily commuter.

But it's great news if you want to convince others to get into EVs.

Here's a link from Hendrick Nissan, which includes some others in their network that would have to be shipped in.

http://goo.gl/SR6rLP" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Karl

While plugged in this afternoon to the DCFC at Hy-Vee on Barry Road & N. St. Clair I spotted a white Leaf belonging to cdherman. The license plate made it easy to figure out. Another white Leaf pulled into the Level 2 parking space and plugged in. All four Level 2 chargers at this location are operational. I updated the description in PlugShare.

I noticed that since this DCQC was established in PlugShare several months ago that I cannot edit the Outlet type to also check the box for "EV Plug (J1772)". If there is no way to edit it then maybe I should create a new entry for EV Plug (J1772). Otherwise, when someone unfamiliar with the area is searching for a Level 2 charger they won't be able to find it with the current information. It would also have it own PlugShare score which would not be affected if the DCQC were offline again. How have you all resolved this in the past?

Henry said:
If there is no way to edit it then maybe I should create a new entry for EV Plug (J1772).

I've had the same issue with other listings. Despite an "Edit" feature, there doesn't seem to be a way to edit certain aspects.

I would say go ahead and create a new listing for the L2s. If and when someone is able to edit them in the future, the listings can be consolidated. Also, if people filter out DCQCs, they might otherwise not see that there is an L2 in the same location.

I also wonder how to get rid of the "Coming Soon" on the HyVee at 72nd. It's live. BTW, that location got paint on the parking spaces today. Progress is being made on the network!

Karl

While at the Starbucks by the Liberty HyVee just east of I-35 and 152 Hwy, I spotted another set of L2 stations under construction, so I added it to PlugShare (http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/65776" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). Finally a place to charge in Liberty since the SemaConnect at the Walgreens has been busted forever and nobody takes care of it.

This is a good location since there is lots of shopping in walking distance.

Unfortunately, the DCQC at the PriceChopper one exit north (http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/60912" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) was still dead the last time I checked it.

Keep 'em coming!

Karl

Attachments

• HyVee small.jpg
    HyVee small.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 13
...and another one popped up at Sam's Club on North Oak Trafficway. 6 L2s are active with paint on the parking spots. Should only be a day or so away from having the caution tape removed. In a pinch, one could access them now since the retractable cords on the new units are pretty long.

FWIW, ChargePoint is adding these on their maps, so they should keep popping up.

http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/65824" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Karl

ericvoll said:
So, guess what I got Friday?

I've been using my ChargePoint card to activate their stations, but contactless credit cards can also be used. That means Apple Pay on my iPhone 6 or on my new Apple Watch can also be used. I've started using my Apple Watch to activate the stations, and it's very convenient. At the free stations (most of them are of course), I just hold up my Apple Watch up to the sensor to authorize the transaction. It hits my card with a $1.00 authorization (which goes away after a week), and the station activates. The free stations are still free.

Normally, I would use my ChargePoint to deactivate the station. For the Apple Pay; however, it's my understanding that the card information changes every time it's used, so I would suspect that you can't deactivate the station by using Apple Pay again. The station would probably see it as another credit card.

For the level 3 ChargePoint stations, just press any of the four buttons next to the display, and you are presented with an option to stop charging. Press the corresponding button, and your session will be completed. For the level 2 stations, you just unplug your car when done (if using the J1772 connector). For the level 1 stations, it might be more complicated. I know the cover locks over your power cord, so you have to use your card to unlock. These might not work, because you wouldn't be able to unlock when done.

Using an iPhone or Apple Watch to activate ChargePoint stations is awesome!!

So I made a discovery. When using my Apple Watch to authorize a station, it appears that when I scan it a second time, it recognizes my digital credit card a second time and stops the session, so I guess one would be able to use Apple Pay with the stations with the locking door. The announcement that London Transport would start accepting Apple Pay next month, made me think about trying it.

I just wanted to share the "good news" with my KC LEAF friends that coal-rolling has officially arrived here. I was victimized twice by this duelly on my way up the slope to the Bond Bridge, northbound I29/35 a little after 5:00 on my way home this afternoon. He cut it out when he saw me taking pictures and headed into the fast lane from the middle (I was in the slow lane), but later when I caught up near the 29/35 split, he made another weak attempt at blowing soot my way, even though I was 2 lanes over. Maybe it was weak because he figured the ICEr between us would get the brunt of it?

http://imageshack.com/a/img673/3515/77au6s.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyway, watch out for this jerk going to or through the northland.

Kathy

eclecticflower said:
I just wanted to share the "good news" with my KC LEAF friends that coal-rolling has officially arrived here. I was victimized twice by this duelly on my way up the slope to the Bond Bridge, northbound I29/35 a little after 5:00 on my way home this afternoon. He cut it out when he saw me taking pictures and headed into the fast lane from the middle (I was in the slow lane), but later when I caught up near the 29/35 split, he made another weak attempt at blowing soot my way, even though I was 2 lanes over. Maybe it was weak because he figured the ICEr between us would get the brunt of it?

http://imageshack.com/a/img673/3515/77au6s.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyway, watch out for this jerk going to or through the northland.

Kathy

You should get their license plate # and report them to the local police non-emergency line. Local police have already taken notice. If the Kansas Highway Patrol catches one of these idiots, it's a $150 fine.

http://www.kctv5.com/story/26057923/police-warn-drivers-against-rolling-coal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Unfortunately for me, he did not have a rear license plate, just some paper that said CAT. I was never in a position to see a front plate. I was compromising my driving just trying to take the 3 pics that I did with my huge iPhone 6 Plus and not drop it (hard to take pics with a small hand and book-flap type case) or cause a wreck. Trust me, I'd love to turn him in.

Dash cam, need one. Karl, fix me up! :D

Kathy

wtc88c said:
What in the world is "coal-rolling"?
See this wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_coal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Rolling coal is the practice of intentionally disabling the Clean Burn Programming of a computer controlled diesel engine, so that the vehicle can emit an under-aspirated sooty exhaust that visibly pollutes the air. Practitioners tamper with their vehicles' emissions controls in open defiance of environmental regulations. It also may include the intentional removal of the particulate filter[1] Practitioners often additionally modify their vehicles by installing smoke switches and smoke stacks. Modifications to a vehicle to enable rolling coal may cost from $200 to $5,000.[2][3]

Rolling coal is a form of conspicuous pollution. Targets of coal rolling often include owners of hybrid vehicles as well as bicyclists and pedestrians.[4][5][6][7]

In March 2015, Illinois General Assembly Representative Will Guzzardi published a bill proposing to impose a $5,000 fine on anyone who removes or alters their vehicles EPA Emissions equipment. Guzzardi has made it clear that "The fine would come on top of any penalties enforced by the current law that prohibits emissions tampering." [8]"

Here are some lovely images of perpetrators:

https://www.google.com/search?q=coal+rolling&biw=1024&bih=1179&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=_dWCVfTYF4ugNqWWsYAP&sqi=2&ved=0CCQQsAQ&dpr=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

eclecticflower said:
Dash cam, need one. Karl, fix me up! :D

Kathy

Ditto for me. One of my coworkers has one and swears by his. And last year, I was a victim of a hit and run; someone crushed my bumper in a parking lot while I was elsewhere shopping. They didn't leave a note, so I had to spend $500 getting it fixed at a body shop. To make matters worse, the body shop caused additional damage when overspray from one of their other projects landed on my car. My detailer had to have one of their guys work for two days clay baring my whole car to fix that. It was an odyssey. Next time, if there is one, I'd like to have something to show the police.

I've looked online, but there are so many choices (and a lot of crap frankly); it all seems overwhelming actually. What I'd like to do is something like a flight data recorder. Ideally, it would have high resolution cameras that look forwards and backwards, and would also run while the car is turned off. I'd like it to just work and be professionally installed. I don't want deal with unsightly cords, resetting memory cards, or anything else obtrusive. I just want to drive, and if something happens (even if the car is parked), then I can pull the video.

Any ideas on where I should start? Are there any businesses in the Kansas City area that I should check out?

Thanks

Eric,

Here's what I sent to Kathy in a PM (with some edits):

I have a predecessor of one of these and it seems to work just fine. I'm sure you can go high line with GoPro or some such. I also didn't want someone breaking into my car to get an expensive one.

http://www.amazon.com/F9-Dashboard-Recorder-G-Sensor-Detection/dp/B00TRC3YF0/ref=sr_1_28?ie=UTF8&qid=1434692630&sr=8-28&keywords=dash+cam" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.amazon.com/WickedHD-Nightvision-Detection-Viewing-1920x1080/dp/B00MYHOD5A/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1434692630&sr=8-20&keywords=dash+cam" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can also just look on Amazon, but there is a dizzying array. Don't forget to buy a 16 or 32 GB micro SD card. I've considered buying a 2nd one to be rear-facing. The mounting is the issue there and I haven't tackled a neat way to do that.

Karl

eclecticflower said:
I have seen this topic discussed before. I found this thread:

Post subject: Re: Bought an HD Dash Cam for my LEAF - Check it out here...

Couldn't make a link copy with my phone, sorry.

Kathy

Karl/Kathy -

Thank you for the great information. I did a bunch of research and have ordered the dash cam system recommended in the thread started by Lasareath ( http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=15151" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ). The unit parts are very discreet, record both front and back, and there are some really good videos/reviews online. It was a bit pricy ($239.95), but if I had it a year ago, it would have saved me a lot of money.

I'll post something after I get it all installed and setup.

ERIC

.....oh, and a link to the video review: http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2015/3/1/k1s-the-first-front-rear-hidden-1080p-dash-camera.html?currentPage=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back