LEAF in Kansas City

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I successfully used the DCQC on the Plaza last night. It's right off the the entry ramp if you come from the north entrance (across from McCormick and Schmick). It wasn't ICEd, perhaps due to Kathy's sign.

BTW, I noticed that DCQCs do not stop charging at 80% even if you have your timer set for that. Does everyone else have the same experience?

Karl

Karl,

So glad that one is working! Were both signs still there (one on the wall, one on the unit)? Charging shouldn't stop at 80%, it should just get slower toward the end, from what I've read on the forum. Unless you specifically set a timer to complete a short time after you arrived (at 80%), then you hit the override timer button, which ignores your preset timer and you'll charge to 100%.

Happy Spring, everyone! :)

Kathy

I have parked next to another Pearl White Leaf at Price Chopper on Barry Road (free GE Station) and am curious who that might be. It might have been Glacier White. I could not really tell since it was at night.

You may have noticed that after I visited the first three DCQCs in the Northland that I update the description in PlugShare with this formatted text after any site specific directions that might help someone locate it. (There were two versions of it before this one.)

"Use ChargePoint RFID card, or a credit card with an RFID chip, or call ChargePoint at 888-759-4389 and ask them to enable station ID: xxxx."

Replacing xxxx with the actual station ID. I thought this level of detail would also help a new EV owner that did not already have a ChargePoint RFID card. I did not find out about the RFID card when I bought my car at Fenton Nissan. I was using level 2 ChargePoint stations when I drove from the Northland to Olathe and simply called the number and gave them the station ID. After doing that for over a month the ChargePoint customer support person told me how to get the RFID card for free. I was not happy that the dealership did not tell me about it.

During the time when I posted on PlugShare that the DCQC displays in the Northland were white/non-functional, I called ChargePoint to report the issue and ask them to remotely restart the unit. The first thing that they will ask you for is the station ID. But you cannot see it because the screen is all white and it is not printed anywhere else on the unit. So, I decided to start adding it into the description on PlugShare so that we would all know it in case someone needed to call ChargePoint. BTW, they were unable to remotely restart all three of them at that time. I suspect that the installation of that software may not have been in place at that time. Hopefully it is there now.

For those of you that live near the DCQCs in Overland Park, Lenexa, or Lees Summit. Please help me add the formatted text with station ID for each of them. I do plan to make a road trip and visit each DCQC when I have a free weekend.

Henry said:
I have parked next to another Pearl White Leaf at Price Chopper on Barry Road (free GE Station) and am curious who that might be. It might have been Glacier White. I could not really tell since it was at night.

There are several white Leafs up north. Mine is pretty easy to spot as I have custom plates -- PLUGZ N

I know of another white Leaf owner that leases -- emergency medicine doctor -- who also lives up north. They are not on this site, AFAIK.... I have not memorized their plates -- I see them occasionally.

My wife drives our Leaf to the Hyvee on Barry Road routinely, but seldom the Pricechopper.

Henry -- were you at Zona Rosa yesterday, Friday, late afternoon, early evening? Saw a white Leaf there too in the Marshall's parking lot..... Did not recognize....

BTW -- glad to have another KC Leafer. We indeed should do another meet sometime. Will likely become a yearly thing, but even that is a minor accomplishment.....

I heard about an Earth Day Fair where EVs are on display from Al Pugsley at MAEAA.org on Saturday March 28th at Shawnee Mission East High School. It starts at 9:45 AM and I was planning to head down there for a little while.

Karl...getting close to 20K miles

Karl,
Let me know when you pass 32k miles =)

Had a battery problem occur this weekend. The battery in the key fob finally died. Yes, the emergency put the fob next to the start button works. I just don't know how long or how many times it will work.

I got new batteries for both fobs last night and it's back to normal again. So the existing key batteries last about 30-36 months. 3 year anniversary Jun 20, 2015.

Starting to see range limits increasing. I wonder if that second bar is about to go. The obd connector I got doesn't seem to want to connect to the leaf spy app on phone.

Did anyone make it to SM East for the Earth Day festival? I was out camping so I couldn't make it...again. That's two years in a row it's been on a campout weekend.

Tom

ksnogas2112 said:
Karl,
Let me know when you pass 32k miles =)
I'm averaging about 1000 miles per month, so in a year or so.

ksnogas2112 said:
Starting to see range limits increasing. I wonder if that second bar is about to go. The obd connector I got doesn't seem to want to connect to the leaf spy app on phone.
My range has been going up as well. Next time we see each other, I can read your LEAF with LEAF Spy.

ksnogas2112 said:
Did anyone make it to SM East for the Earth Day festival? I was out camping so I couldn't make it...again. That's two years in a row it's been on a campout weekend.
It was pretty cold and I was the only LEAF there. I did have some intense discussions with a few folks that might actually follow up and get a LEAF. The Teslas got the most interest until you tell people the price tag. :)

FWIW, I also hit the Union Station DCQC on the way home for a few KWh, which is a sweet thing. I did find that there was an ICE parked there when I got there. While I was sitting there looking at PlugShare for the address of the closest DCQC, the ICE owner came back and moved. So the signs are good, but clearly not hitting home with everyone.

Karl

MobileEV said:
FWIW, I also hit the Union Station DCQC on the way home for a few KWh, which is a sweet thing.

I did not see the Union Station DCQC listed on PlugShare. Is it new or has it been around as long as the others?

I had a chance today to use the DCQC at Hen House on 87th & Lackman. I added pictures and the station ID to PlugShare. This was the first unit where I have seen the KCPL stickers attached to the unit. So of course I had to add a picture of it.

I used the DCQC on the Country Club Plaza last week. It took a while to find it since the address on PlugShare is on Broadway but the entrances to the parking garage are on 47th and also Nichols Road. I updated the description with that info. I thought about changing the address in PlugShare to be on 47th street but the business that has sponsored the space for the unit may be on Broadway and it might upset them if I change it. Does anyone know if we are allowed to change the address information without upsetting anyone?

Henry said:
MobileEV said:
FWIW, I also hit the Union Station DCQC on the way home for a few KWh, which is a sweet thing.
I did not see the Union Station DCQC listed on PlugShare. Is it new or has it been around as long as the others?

I didn't see it on Plugshare either, Henry, so I wonder where it is, too. Union Station is just a stone's throw from where I work and I'd use it.

Henry said:
I used the DCQC on the Country Club Plaza last week. It took a while to find it since the address on PlugShare is on Broadway but the entrances to the parking garage are on 47th and also Nichols Road. I updated the description with that info. I thought about changing the address in PlugShare to be on 47th street but the business that has sponsored the space for the unit may be on Broadway and it might upset them if I change it. Does anyone know if we are allowed to change the address information without upsetting anyone?
Actually, the address is correct. That's actually a door that leads into the garage, so you can walk in and there it is. It's not where you would drive up to for charging access, so adding the info on Plugshare regarding the driveway entry is probably the best way to go.

Kathy

MobileEV said:
Henry said:
MobileEV said:

Sorry, I had Union Station on the brain. I meant the Plaza.
Thanks for clarifying that, Karl! :D

ksnogas2112 said:
Had a battery problem occur this weekend. The battery in the key fob finally died. Yes, the emergency put the fob next to the start button works. I just don't know how long or how many times it will work.

I got new batteries for both fobs last night and it's back to normal again. So the existing key batteries last about 30-36 months. 3 year anniversary Jun 20, 2015.

I only use one of the key fobs. The other one is in my fire safe. A few months ago, I started getting a warning in the dash that my key fob battery was getting low, so I replaced the battery in the fob. I traded my fob out for the one in the fire safe, and within a week or so, I got the key fob battery warning for it also.

I believe the length of the battery life in the fobs is not a function of how often the fob is used or how much one drives. I suspect the major variable is the length of time the battery is in the fob. The battery life for me was about 2.5 years.

I have only had my Leaf since November and since that day the battery temperature displayed on the left side of the dashboard had always shown four bars except for one very cold day where it dropped down to three bars. Over the past week it is now regularly showing five bars and today I saw six bars. I know that it is nothing to be alarmed about.

I really prefer to see actual numbers to measure something like temperature or capacity instead of bars but I know that is only possible with Leaf Spy, which I do not own.

Have any of you figured out the temperature range that is represented by each bar that is displayed for battery temperature on the dash?

example:
3 bars: 20F to 40F
4 bars: 40F to 60F
5 bars: 60F to 80F
6 bars: 80F to 100F
and so on...

Henry,
Here's the results from the wiki http://www.electricvehiclewiki.com/Battery#Battery_specs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Battery Gauge Segment / Temperature Chart[4]:

Segments Min Degrees C (F) Max Degrees C (F)
12 56 (133) none
11 52 (126) 59 (138)
10 49 (120) 56 (133)
9 47 (117) 52 (126)
8 36 (97) 49 (120)
7 23 (73) 47 (117)
6 10 (50) 38 (100)
5 -3 (27) 27 (81)
4 -5 (23) 15 (59)
3 -8 (18) 4 (39)
2 -12 (10) 2 (36)
1 -15 (5) -2 (28)
0 none -5 (23)

Just saw VW commercial in KC that included the 'all electric VW Golf'. That makes the second EV commercial I've seen. The other was the BMW i3 that ran during the Olympics.

Hey Nissan, take the hint.

First day's production of my solar panels. Enough to power the LEAF for a full charge plus run my house. No more fossil fuels!

-Karl

Attachments

• 20150401 First Day Solar Production.png
    20150401 First Day Solar Production.png
    159.9 KB · Views: 22
Back