Reality of a Coast-to-Coast Road Trip in the Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GetOffYourGas said:
skysail said:
As a sailor planning a trip to south and central America in a 30ft sailboat, a trip like that sounds very appealing to me. I average probably less than 8mph, anything else is fast.
Are there any other good sources for right ups about trips like that?

As a sailor myself, I had to comment on this. A 30' boat has a hull speed of about 8mph. I would plan your trip assuming an average speed of 1/2 to 3/4 of hull speed (4-6mph).

Also, I assume you are aware, but beware of pirates off the coast of south america, particularly Venezuela. It sounds like fiction, but they are very real and very dangerous to American travelers.

To the OP, it sounds like you've made up your mind not to go. I can't blame you, but I'm a little disappointed that we won't get to read about your adventure!

Haha, awesome sailing references.

I would like to one day embark on a cross country trip, but I think right is not that time. I think it would be more optimal with an EV that gets closer to 200 miles per charge, not to mention the associated risks of getting stranded, costs of gear, miscalculating the route, and etc.

If they can create an "Electric Highway" as they've done in Great Britain, then I'd be all over this. When it boils down to it, I just can't risk it.

Believe me I would've liked to give it a go. I would've taken pictures and documented the whole trip; perhaps one day.

Primary, this was to scout out the possibility of a trip like this and encourage discussion about such trip.

Is it cheaper to haul your car on a transporter than to rent a towing vehicle and a dolly, or a big enough truck that you can put the car inside with other stuff? Been awhile since I had to look at rental costs.

BTW, to me anyone who's going to take a serious road trip needs a spare and jack. I think Tony Williams was one of the first to get one (and figured out how to mount it under the rear of the car), for his BC to BC trip.

GRA said:
Is it cheaper to haul your car on a transporter than to rent a towing vehicle and a dolly, or a big enough truck that you can put the car inside with other stuff? Been awhile since I had to look at rental costs.

BTW, to me anyone who's going to take a serious road trip needs a spare and jack. I think Tony Williams was one of the first to get one (and figured out how to mount it under the rear of the car), for his BC to BC trip.

Well, I haven't actually priced out what it would be to rent a towing vehicle and dolly or large vehicle.

Certain costs and aspects would be predictable though:

Your talking at least $350 for fuel (2,300+ Miles @ $2.30 Gallon (153.33 gallons at 15MPG)= $352.67 give or take. Not to mention you've got to return it with the same fuel level it left with I believe. The trucks/vehicle will likely get no greater than 10-15 MPG, especially whilst hauling my Leaf. Next you've got the truck rental per-day, which I know will be expensive (maybe $50-100/day) over 4-7 days, maybe $400-700 right there. If anything were to happen (accident with truck, accident with Leaf on the truck) I'll be responsible. I don't think I want to take that chance towing a car 2,300+ miles across the great plains, Rocky Mountains, desert, and etc.
I would have to pay for someplace to sleep which could be anywhere from $50-100 a night. Not to mention I have zero experience driving anything larger than a Chevy S10 pickup truck. I wouldn't feel comfortable driving that, and there's nobody I know who could either.

To have my car picked up here at my home in Toledo Ohio, and delivered to my new home in Hanford, California it would cost $1,245 total (including insurance and fees). That's 5-7 days transit time and no liability on me if something goes wrong. Meanwhile, I hop on the train and I'm there in 52 hours time. All that while tracking my car (with the tracking number online) and enjoying not having to drive all that way.

Here's some inspiration. Cros-country EV trip in 1998

http://www.kingoftheroad.net/charge_across_america/charge_html/chargehome.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

electriccarfan said:
To have my car picked up here at my home in Toledo Ohio, and delivered to my new home in Hanford, California it would cost $1,245 total (including insurance and fees). That's 5-7 days transit time and no liability on me if something goes wrong. Meanwhile, I hop on the train and I'm there in 52 hours time. All that while tracking my car (with the tracking number online) and enjoying not having to drive all that way.
A couple weeks ago my brother was asking about driving my LEAF from Akron to his home in central Colorado...he was serious, I just laughed. Told him the only way I would try it was on a truck. I believe it's very possible with enough portable equipment (evse, generator, spare tire, etc... and possibly small clamshell trailer to hold all the stuff) but would take a lot more time and patience than I have to offer. Either way, believe the cost will be about equal to shipping after investing is the toys needed to cross some of the long spans between L2 opportunities.

rogersleaf said:
electriccarfan said:
A couple weeks ago my brother was asking about driving my LEAF from Akron to his home in central Colorado...he was serious, I just laughed. Told him the only way I would try it was on a truck. I believe it's very possible with enough portable equipment (evse, generator, spare tire, etc... and possibly small clamshell trailer to hold all the stuff) but would take a lot more time and patience than I have to offer. Either way, believe the cost will be about equal to shipping after investing is the toys needed to cross some of the long spans between L2 opportunities.

Exactly, its close to equal the cost. On top of that, I just checked another transport company and got a little lower quote of $1,069 to get it out there to Hanford, California (from Toledo, OH). That was down from $1,245 for the previous company. They pick it up at my door, and drop it off at my door out there. Until we have Rapid Chargers every 50-80 Miles apart up and down the major interstates I don't know if I'd embark such a journey.

It might be worth checking another angle. If your car is leased, the leasing company might want to terminate your lease and start new in Calif. If I recall, there are tax issues when out-of-state purchased cars are re-titled & registered in Calif. Might not save any cash (pre-paid sales tax on a lease in Ohio is a killer) but could be a chance to up-trade.

rogersleaf said:
It might be worth checking another angle. If your car is leased, the leasing company might want to terminate your lease and start new in Calif. If I recall, there are tax issues when out-of-state purchased cars are re-titled & registered in Calif. Might not save any cash (pre-paid sales tax on a lease in Ohio is a killer) but could be a chance to up-trade.

I'm not really sure on any of that, but I did call the dealership I got my car from and they told me that there wasn't anything I had to do concerning moving it. They said that when it comes time to return it (at the end of lease), I can just return it to any Nissan dealership out there.

I specifically asked them if I need to call NMAC to notify them and they said no I'm not required. I just figured I can roll on down to the DMV and get my new plates and tags (and license too).

I really don't want to have to restart a lease since I don't want my 9 months of payments to be negated. I may want to just be done by the time the end of my lease comes, so it wouldn't be wise to further extend that by restarting another 2-3 year lease. I don't know what life will bring and all. The overall plan was and still is to lease a new 200 Mile EV at the end of my current 3-year lease (which will be up in May 2017), and then possibly buyout that one. It would be nice to have the payments end sometime in the future. I'm going to call NMAC soon and see what options there are and what should be done.

electriccarfan said:
rogersleaf said:

I'm not really sure on any of that, but I did call the dealership I got my car from and they told me that there wasn't anything I had to do concerning moving it. They said that when it comes time to return it (at the end of lease), I can just return it to any Nissan dealership out there.

I specifically asked them if I need to call NMAC to notify them and they said no I'm not required. I just figured I can roll on down to the DMV and get my new plates and tags (and license too).

I really don't want to have to restart a lease since I don't want my 9 months of payments to be negated. I may want to just be done by the time the end of my lease comes, so it wouldn't be wise to further extend that by restarting another 2-3 year lease. I don't know what life will bring and all. The overall plan was and still is to lease a new 200 Mile EV at the end of my current 3-year lease (which will be up in May 2017), and then possibly buyout that one. It would be nice to have the payments end sometime in the future. I'm going to call NMAC soon and see what options there are and what should be done.
Calling NMAC is a good idea. Don't be surprised if they raise your monthly payments to cover sales tax if you will owe this in CA. In your Ohio lease, sales tax on the monthly payments was collected (financed) and paid to the state in full at the time of delivery. This money will be lost/unrecoverable, but still in your lease payoff balance. Most states don't collect sales tax up front on leases so NMAC might not be expecting this issue. Might need to ask them specifically how they handle this. Who knows, maybe there is some kind of sales tax reciprocity but doubt it.

rogersleaf said:
electriccarfan said:
rogersleaf said:

Calling NMAC is a good idea. Don't be surprised if they raise your monthly payments to cover sales tax if you will owe this in CA. In your Ohio lease, sales tax on the monthly payments was collected (financed) and paid to the state in full at the time of delivery. This money will be lost/unrecoverable, but still in your lease payoff balance. Most states don't collect sales tax up front on leases so NMAC might not be expecting this issue. Might need to ask them specifically how they handle this. Who knows, maybe there is some kind of sales tax reciprocity but doubt it.

Geez! :shock:

If you do end up shipping it, you might try uship.com, I've heard that people have had good luck with finding a transport vehicle that way:
http://www.uship.com/vehicles/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just for giggles, here's David Noland's account of his X-C drive by Model S85: http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1096690_tesla-model-s-cross-country-trip-without-many-superchargers-days-1-3/page-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He says that his trip plan with options (he's a private pilot, and once flew X-C in a Piper Cub) filled 10 pages of a legal pad.

Here's days 4-7: http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1097095_tesla-model-s-cross-country-trip-without-many-superchargers-days-4-7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And the final days 8-10: http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1097097_tesla-model-s-cross-country-trip-without-many-superchargers-days-8-10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GRA said:
Just for giggles, here's David Noland's account of his X-C drive by Model S85: http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1096690_tesla-model-s-cross-country-trip-without-many-superchargers-days-1-3/page-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He says that his trip plan with options (he's a private pilot, and once flew X-C in a Piper Cub) filled 10 pages of a legal pad.

I flew my Cessna Cardinal down to Belize one summer, after about a month touring Mexico. Certainly, more "down to earth" in a Cub. I used to fly from California to Oshkosh every year, too.

TonyWilliams said:
I flew my Cessna Cardinal down to Belize one summer, after about a month touring Mexico. Certainly, more "down to earth" in a Cub. I used to fly from California to Oshkosh every year, too.
In a Cardinal I could see it. In a Cub*, well, maybe once, as an adventure. Kind of like crossing the Atlantic in the Spirit of St. Louis, solo - it may be possible, but not very practical or comfortable :lol:

*Never been in one, but never really had an interest. Would have jumped at the chance of a ride and some stick time in a Citabria, though. Used to correspond with a guy who got his license in a Cub, although he later went on to considerably higher performance a/c - http://www.amazon.com/Ed-Rasimus/e/B001ITX1TY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvevElwHe1k" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ed was a great storyteller. Sadly, he died of cancer in 2013.

electriccarfan said:
I've read of Kansas City installing CHAdeMO QC stations (and plan 1,000 total over time), and more and more nationwide coming online all the time.

Just for clarity, that's 1000 plugs with a dozen or so as DCQC. As of yesterday there are about 10 planted and 2 operational DCQC. 0 signage so a guarantee they will be ICE'd. The L2 around here are usually not ICE'd and are pretty handy.

Once you're out there, there's some Leaf and Mitsubishi owners in the Visalia area and there's a QC at the Nissan dealer in Visalia. Look for posts by JohnR on his trip to Mineral King.

We also have a group of EV owners in the Bakersfield area. Loosely organized but we have periodic events.

Bako is out of range from Hanford for now, but there are some new QC going in that might make it possible.

But the train is convenient from Hanford to Bako.

Paul Gipe
[email protected]
661 325 9590

paulgipe said:
Once you're out there, there's some Leaf and Mitsubishi owners in the Visalia area and there's a QC at the Nissan dealer in Visalia. Look for posts by JohnR on his trip to Mineral King.

We also have a group of EV owners in the Bakersfield area. Loosely organized but we have periodic events.

Bako is out of range from Hanford for now, but there are some new QC going in that might make it possible.

But the train is convenient from Hanford to Bako.

Paul Gipe
[email protected]
661 325 9590

Thanks for the information. I'll be sure to keep this all in mind. I have thought that maybe its actually possible to not only drive to Bakersfield, but also Los Angeles. With a little planning on Plugshare, gathering the necessary 240V Portable Charging Station, and various adapters I think it could be done. Maybe.

It has been done before though.

I was thinking maybe endeavoring such a trip one day, but I do know. This all assumes I'd have all day to spare with nothing to do at all. This would obviously only just get me into LA, but it looks like there are a vast array of Rapid Chargers in the LA area. So, I think I'd be fine once I'd get to the Santa Clarita area.

But, this is just a trip I think it'd be cool to take. I'm not planning this currently or anything. Likely I'd only attempt a trip as far south as Bakersfield though, without all the prep-work and time available. You know, pop down to Bakersfield for the day! Lol. Maybe not exactly.

pOmEZk.jpg

Back