LEAF in Kansas City

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, just a word of warning, my friends in Kansas City, and perhaps elsewhere might want to sit down befoe reading this post. This is not a joke.

Here goes:

KCP&L plans, by the end of this summer, on installing 1,001 EV chargers in the Kansas City metropolitan area. 16 of these, in conjunction with Nissan, will be level 3 chargers. Kansas City will be the most EV friendly city in the world.

The article is here:

http://www.kansascity.com/news/business/article8179314.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I officially crapped my pants!!

ericvoll said:
Ok, just a word of warning, my friends in Kansas City, and perhaps elsewhere might want to sit down befoe reading this post. This is not a joke.

Here goes:

KCP&L plans, by the end of this summer, on installing 1,001 EV chargers in the Kansas City metropolitan area. 16 of these, in conjunction with Nissan, will be level 3 chargers. Kansas City will be the most EV friendly city in the world.

The article is here:

http://www.kansascity.com/news/business/article8179314.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I officially crapped my pants!!
Yes! I read that yesterday as a Facebook post to the LEAF page and was thrilled! Big thank you to KCPL. The article also indicated the first two years of charging will be free!?! Do I trust that? Well...it was free when the original EVSEs made it here and perhaps that was for two years, but NOBODY had a LEAF or other passenger EV in MO/KS before June 2012 to get 2 years of freebie juice before a cost kicked in. We can hope. Best we figure out which new units come online and test. I'm just happy for the QCs. Now, if they're brilliant planners, they'll be placed strategically along the corridors/highways we travel and not some obscure, out-of-the-way garage in BFE (sorry, but really, that new one in KS???).

Eric, you're a peach for posting for the group! Now get some new pants. :lol:

Yeah I saw that posted in a couple places but I haven't read it yet. I wonder though, do we REALLY need 987 L2 evse's in the city? The 13 L3, strategically placed in locations other than Nissan dealers would be a nice set up if reasonably priced.

ksnogas2112 said:
Yeah I saw that posted in a couple places but I haven't read it yet. I wonder though, do we REALLY need 987 L2 evse's in the city? The 13 L3, strategically placed in locations other than Nissan dealers would be a nice set up if reasonably priced.

To be fair, it will be far less in terms of new locations. They are counting each plug I'd bet. Each charging station serves 2 vehicles. But even if they are counting each charging station, the article makes mention that they will put multiple stations in at the points chosen. I'd bet there will be like 10 -20 stations at the K and Arrowhead.

I'd also bet that the plaza will finally get some in some of the public parking structures -- that will be a real boon for me and an eventual positive for the Plaza, as people will feel more comfortable driving there knowing they can juice up for the return trip.

What's less clear to me is that KCP&L does service some areas on the Kansas side. Man I would really like a few charges, maybe a QC on the interstate or in Lawrence. But the QCs are really a great idea. Puzzles me where they will all go. I am hopeful that the Park and Ride location at Zona Rosa might get some chargers and a QC...

Anyhow, if this really comes to pass (remember, regulators will take public commentary, and the "1-2 dollar increase in yearly bill" for all KCP&L customers could get the royal ire of the Hummer crowd. Someone already mentioned I think that the Fox news station was mis-representating the cost to KCPL customers.

You know what really irritating? YOU WOULD THINK THEY WOULD BOTHER TO ASK THE EXISTING EV COMMUNITY ABOUT SOME REAL WORLD EXPERIENCE WHERE THEY SHOULD PUT SOME STATIONS!!!!

Rant over, but really. I mean, they have a real resource and they don't bother to ask us. Another one of those "bureaucrats and ChargePoint" knows best..... Hopefully not the same idiot that put two charging stations at the Harley-Davidson plant.....

I hadn't heard this news, but just today was contacted to be interviewed for a story in the local paper about this. I'll talk with her tomorrow. KCP&L provides service well beyond Kansas City, and it appears that the charging stations will reflect that to some degree. I think this means we will find a network of charging stations with a wide enough geographical footprint that EV drivers won't be tethered to the stations nearby their home (or in my case, to the station at my home, since no public stations currently exist within 50 miles of Sedalia). At least that's what I took from my brief discussion with the reporter when we set up the interview for tomorrow.

Now to read up on this so I'm not uninformed during the interview!

KCP&L has posted a map of where some of the locations will be (including 14 of the QC's -- several of them are in the northland):

http://www.kcpl.com/~/media/Files/About%20KCPL/KCPLCleanChargeNetworkmap.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, they have a website that talks more about this initiative. It looks like they are still looking for suggestions on where to put the chargers:

http://www.kcpl.com/about-kcpl/environmental-focus/clean-charge-network" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ericvoll said:
KCP&L has posted a map of where some of the locations will be (including 14 of the QC's -- several of them are in the northland):

http://www.kcpl.com/~/media/Files/About%20KCPL/KCPLCleanChargeNetworkmap.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, they have a website that talks more about this initiative. It looks like they are still looking for suggestions on where to put the chargers:

http://www.kcpl.com/about-kcpl/environmental-focus/clean-charge-network" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Six QCs clustered closely together out south but 3 spread out up north (excluding St. Joe)? It's great that they've placed them not far off the highways near 64th, 152 and across the northland eastward in Liberty, but they should at least stick a QC somewhere near the I-29/I-35 split to be somewhat comparable to the southland. Lots of traffic converging through there to parts northwest, northeast and south. With the redevelopment of Antioch Center, it's a logical place for a QC, since they appear to be getting placed into shopping areas (lots of Hy-Vees). There's a new Walmart Neighborhood Grocery story there that's pretty busy. I'll look into the second link to make the suggestion. Thanks, Eric. :)

RE: the Harley plant EVSE's .. those two plugs were part of the original 10 in 2011 that were partially financed by federal funding and it was pretty hard at that time to find places that would agree to have one. That's why some of the existing plugs are in odd places like the Harley plant or Posty cards at 17th and where ever. At least if they start building the electric Harley's up at the plant there will be a place to fill them up.

RE: KCPL on the KS side - once you get past I-435 on the west side you're outside of KCPL and into Westar electric which covers most of the rest of KS. I'm not sure how far south KCPL covers but pretty sure once you're past 199th it's Westar again.

OMFG...they're putting in a DCQC <1mile from my house at the Hen House grocery. oooh the dcqc in Lee's Summit almost makes Clinton possible.

edit
Was thinking the dcqc at hen house isn't really a bad location, assuming they don't put it in front of the store. it's not too far off the interstate, it's a decent distance from leavenworth, north kc, lawrence, and east kc so would be a good location to recharge to reach the other areas from each other.

So I contacted KCPL via their FB page and asked for a DCQC location near the I-29/I-35 split, perhaps in Antioch Center, and got this response:

1/28, 2:08pm

KCP&L: Kansas City Power & Light

Hi Kathleen. Thank you for contacting us about the DCQC stations and for the suggestions on possible locations. While we do have some locations picked, we are still researching the best locations to put our other units and value your feedback as we plan.

Each charging station must be hosted by a business, so if you know of a business that could be a good fit to host a station, you might ask them to apply. They can find more information at kcpl.com/cleancharge

Thanks again for contacting us and for the great feedback.

Seems like I read somewhere you could nominate a location, but can't find where I saw that in the literature/release. Seems like a David and Goliath scenario for an EV driver to ask a business such as Walmart (or even Target @ I-35/Chouteau) to partner up with KCPL or Nissan and host a location. I'd think KCPL would have more influence.

Eric, you're good at this. Help me start the conversation with them?

Thanks,
Kathy

I have an inside contact (wife of an employee/exec) who is a close acquaintance. She said the politics of location were paramount.

Oh well. Its still better than what tons of other places are experiencing. I am very pleased with Kansas City in many ways these days....

Was down south and checked the status of the first ever kc dcqc and it's still

1. ICE'd (different car this time)
2. not operational

In a weird sense I can see why it's there. If there were multiple electric car owners in the apartments that's a quick park, fill, move.

cdherman said:
I have an inside contact (wife of an employee/exec) who is a close acquaintance. She said the politics of location were paramount.

Oh well. Its still better than what tons of other places are experiencing. I am very pleased with Kansas City in many ways these days....

Talked to one of the managers at Hen House where KCPL already has slated on their map. Clueless. Not just about that possibility but didn't even know electric cars existed (and is potentially old enough to remember electric cars the first time around and I don't mean the EV-1).

Here's a nice follow-up opinion piece:

http://www.kansascity.com/opinion/editorials/article8837450.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ericvoll said:
The article is here:

Well, I saw it coming with LEAF Spy ... just lost the first bar at ~18300 miles. :-(

On the plus side, a 10 KW photovoltaic system is being installed on my roof this week. :D

MobileEV said:
Well, I saw it coming with LEAF Spy ... just lost the first bar at ~18300 miles. :-(

On the plus side, a 10 KW photovoltaic system is being installed on my roof this week. :D
That seems early compared to the others' mileage when they lost theirs, if I recall correctly. Bummer. I know the inevitable's coming, but figured on 2-3k miles more. Mine's at ~ 20,200. Need a tire rotation! BTW Karl, did you ever decide to get snow tires?

Good for you on the new system! Have to come see. :cool:

MobileEV said:

Wow. 10 Kw. Got me beat. How big a house you have??!!

You get to host next meeting!!!!

Operational Level 3 chargers are starting to pop up on PlugShare:

Hyvee on Barry Road near Zona Rosa:

http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/60910" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Price Chopper north of Liberty just off I-35:

http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/60912" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and more...see all the orange on Plugshare.com!

The solar panel racks and microinverters are mostly mounted and the first roof area got panels on Friday. One more day of panel installation, then inspection. After that KCP&L has 15 days to install the bi-directional meter. The LEAF and I are getting psyched!

Attachments

• LEAF with garage panels-small.jpg
    LEAF with garage panels-small.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 27
Back