LEAF in Kansas City

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cdherman said:
OK! Lets do this!

Address: 8324 NW Mace Rd
Parkville MO 64152

Basically, most of you I think will come down Barry Rd, headed west from Zona Rosa and I-29. 1.4 miles to be exact from I-29. Mace Rd takes off to the south, left from Barry. We are another 250 feet or so, down Mace, on the West (right side headed south) side of the road, off of the road a bit. Behind the white fence.

Feel free to bring a side dish, or nothing at all, your choice. I will minimally have burgers, chicken, brats, potato salad and baked beans (my favorites!!) and drinks. My wife will likely insist on something healthy too!!

4 PM I think is OK. Jet play Chiefs at Arrowhead at 12 noon, so for those of us that watch football, 4 works I think. It will get dark at 5:30 or so, and if the weather is nasty, we'll retreat to the house or garage to gossip about Leafs, electric cars, etc.....

My phone number is 8one6 - 65four - 3one46 cell. call or text if you need anything or get lost!!

Thanks, see you Sunday! :D
Kathy

Sounds like a plan. Two trips to Parkville in same weekend, who'd a thunk?

(BSA University of Scouting is at Park U Saturday, no evse and range anxious so taking the dino burner)

cdherman said:
OK! Lets do this!
Many thanks to Doc and his family for their wonderful hospitality in hosting our little event! I was the grateful recipient of a wheel rotation and a cool 110V to 220V charging gizmo to go with my EVSEUpgrade conversion with a promised donation to the forum ($30 donation submitted).

I was glad to be able to give back by changing out 2 cabin filters.

Here are a few snapshots:

https://plus.google.com/photos/108257482266237135669/albums/6077307847871659713?authkey=CJ2Us8rcnuvPtwE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looking forward to future gatherings!

-Karl

What Karl said. Was great little get together. Thanks to Doc for hosting again this year. It was really nice to see the familiar faces and meet some new one. It was interesting the lack of difference between Kathy's cabin filter at 18k miles and mine at 29k. They were pretty close to identical in dirtiness (?).

One the energy use side of the house, I really want to thank Doc for the charge. It took 5 bars to get up there and it took 8 bars to get back home and was sniffing low battery light. That damn south wind took the battery to the cleaners.

Another LEAF Fest enjoyed! :D I echo the sentiments of Karl and Tom. Thanks so much, Dr. Dave and Claudia for hosting our little gathering. It was very enjoyable, the company and food was great (diet killer day!) and the hospitality was very much appreciated. The doggie- and kitty-love was a great perk, too!

Thanks go out to Karl for changing my cabin filter and putting the dash back together. I was a bit concerned that the spots on the old filter might be mold :shock: - glad that's gone. The pictures are great, both inside the car dash (instructional) and outside in front of the house. I loved seeing lots of LEAFs on the property (otherwise, leaves on your property are so annoying... :roll: ). Hopefully, we'll be joined in the future by owners with blue and silver LEAFs. We sure have a lot of reds. Eric, your black car looks sharp in the pictures against a backdrop of reds (and, of course, a white). :)

Kathy

It was a pleasure to host again this year! Only downside: eating and drinking the leftovers damage to my BMI. Lets hope dearly that all are available to get together again next year. I remarked to my wife Claudia after all were gone how interesting it is that something as simple as an interest in electric vehicles brings with it common threads which all of us seemed to possess.

Obviously, we "early adopters", Karl included, are willing to play with the cutting edge because it makes us feel good for a variety of reasons. I may complain that my Leaf was an "early adopter mistake" but only because I wish I had paid a few more K for the 2013 with a faster charger, and better heat!!!!! I am completely convinced that electric vehicles will be the norm in 10 years, and I do not see myself being without at least one in the stable for anytime going forward.

Take care all and thanks for coming!!!!!

Just want to say "hello" and introduce myself. While not actually a KC resident, as a Sedalian, I think of KC as "my city". I haven't purchased or ordered my Leaf yet, and have one remaining issue with front leg room (see the 11/9/14 post to the General forum). With that answered, my intention is to wrap this up before the end of the November. Looking forward to joining your club.

One question that I think you all might be better able to answer than if I were to post to a more general forum is whether you've heard rumors or have solid info on any Quick Charge stations to be installed in the KC area, and/or any 220 charging stations to the east of KC (I-70 OR Hwy 50 either one).

With 64 pages of KC Leaf discussion, I supposed I'd better start reading. I've been to Machens in Columbia, but I'm thinking I might find references to other good options to the south or southeast sides of KC. I look forward to plenty of future interactions on this forum.

dvchris said:
Just want to say "hello" and introduce myself. While not actually a KC resident, as a Sedalian, I think of KC as "my city". I haven't purchased or ordered my Leaf yet, and have one remaining issue with front leg room (see the 11/9/14 post to the General forum). With that answered, my intention is to wrap this up before the end of the November. Looking forward to joining your club.
Greetings Chris! Any quasi-local LEAFer is welcome here.

dvchris said:
One question that I think you all might be better able to answer than if I were to post to a more general forum is whether you've heard rumors or have solid info on any Quick Charge stations to be installed in the KC area, and/or any 220 charging stations to the east of KC (I-70 OR Hwy 50 either one).
There is unfortunately a dearth of QC stations in the KC area. However, there are a decent number of 220V Level 2 stations. I assume you've checked plugshare.com (get the app too). The station that comes to mind is at downtown Lee's Summit:
http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/2200" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is in a free parking garage in downtown LS and is in walking distance to shops and restaurants. It requires a free ChargePoint card (sign up now if you haven't and get the app), but it's free to charge.

Should you find yourself in the KC Northlands, feel free to stop in for a charge and a cup of coffee if I'm around. PlugShare location (must be logged on as a member to see non-public stations): http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/53614" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BTW, for those of us wanting to head to Lake of the Ozarks with the limited range of a LEAF, it might be nice to return the favor and list any future home charger on PlugShare. :)

MobileEV said:
There is unfortunately a dearth of QC stations in the KC area. However, there are a decent number of 220V Level 2 stations. I assume you've checked plugshare.com (get the app too). The station that comes to mind is at downtown Lee's Summit:
http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/2200" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is in a free parking garage in downtown LS and is in walking distance to shops and restaurants. It requires a free ChargePoint card (sign up now if you haven't and get the app), but it's free to charge.

Yes, I actually downloaded both the PlugShare and ChargePoint apps within the last few days. That's the point that frustration with the state of available charging stations in all of Central Missouri (and QC stations in KC)began to set in. I was actually hopeful that it wasn't up to date (so there might be a QC in the area). Thanks for pointing out the L2 station in Lees Summit. Sounds like a good spot. With a family of 4, we'll probably continue to take our occasional trips outside of the immediate area in a ICE vehicle, but you never know.

MobileEV said:
Should you find yourself in the KC Northlands, feel free to stop in for a charge and a cup of coffee if I'm around. PlugShare location (must be logged on as a member to see non-public stations): http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/53614" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BTW, for those of us wanting to head to Lake of the Ozarks with the limited range of a LEAF, it might be nice to return the favor and list any future home charger on PlugShare. :)

Certainly appreciate the invite. And I'll be sure to get my home charger on PlugShare once it's installed. Would be happy to help the cause. :)

Hi Chris! Welcome to our thread. Yes, you're correct about the poor charging infrastructure. I found QC charging listed only at dealers in St. Louis, MO, but that was a pleasant surprise anyway, considering the lack of them elsewhere in the midwest. Eric (ericvoll) has been in touch with someone who is involved with getting QC in KC, so it appears there actually is something in the works in the near future (FINALLY). He might be able to comment, if he has an opportunity to check the thread updates. I think we all have QC ports with cobwebs in them, waiting for a plug. Keep in touch!

Kathy

Hey Chris, welcome! I think you can make Sedalia> Lee's Summit if you're careful but you'll arrive on sparks. I checked that route a couple years ago when I tried to get to the lake. I also called the Sedalia dealer two years ago to see if they were going to get one of the Nissan QC and they went huh?

As to QC in KC...it will be a while and who knows where they will end up being located.

ksnogas2112 said:
Hey Chris, welcome! I think you can make Sedalia> Lee's Summit if you're careful but you'll arrive on sparks. I checked that route a couple years ago when I tried to get to the lake. I also called the Sedalia dealer two years ago to see if they were going to get one of the Nissan QC and they went huh?

As to QC in KC...it will be a while and who knows where they will end up being located.

Google Maps says 67 miles. http://goo.gl/maps/Dmcm9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The LS Nissan dealer is even a bit closer, but there's not much to do there while you charge unless you want to walk to Home Depot or Aldi.

So depending on your speed and other conditions, it should be doable. Maybe check if there's an RV park along the way for a boost?

MobileEV said:
So depending on your speed and other conditions, it should be doable. Maybe check if there's an RV park along the way for a boost?

Yeah, at highway speeds with a 2 year old 3 summer battery 67 isn't doable. Just fyi. Took almost 3/4 battery to do 28 miles into very stiff south wind last weekend.

Truly, used the preheat an hour ago before picking up kid at college.

And to throw fuel on the DCQC fire, I received email that there were more discussions about Nissan dealers with DCQC coming to KC. Details when available.

On a side note that might be like 'your neighborhood has qualified for google fiber' whooo...(fine print, installation expected next summer...snifff...awwww)

ksnogas2112 said:
whooo hooo...no regen any more. damn it got cold =)
So as a LEAF noob, I just noticed that myself in the last few days. I start with 4 battery temp bars in my garage, but then the "Low Temperature" warning comes on once outside. Regen is then definitely scaled back.

What's the reasoning and what's the trigger?

Still toying with getting a set of winter tires since the LEAF is my only commuter car...

Mobile...
I had a lot more trouble last winter than my first winter and I'm really glad to have new tires on for this winter. Depending on how clear the roads are for you; I would get new tires and have a winter set and a touring set. As to the 'cold' trigger. It's a 32*F warning. I turned mine off. I find it a stupid warning. The reasoning iirc is to warn people that the weather is cold enough that bridges could freeze or something like that.

Regen is scaled back to protect the battery since it is harder to charge a cold pack and it certainly won't take very much regen when you get off the highway with a cold pack.

Another KC-related question: How frequent and long are power outages in this area? I've never lived in an area with tornadoes and that sort of extreme weather, so as much as I hate to buy and maintain another combustion engine, I'm wondering if it's worthwhile getting a generator to run the house/heat/fridge/etc.

I see these advertised...

http://www.harborfreight.com/6500-Peak5500-Running-Watts-13-HP-420cc-Gas-Generator-EPA-III-68529.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2RlIjoiNDMzNTk1OTMiLCJza3UiOiI2ODUyOSIsImlzIjoiNDU5Ljk5IiwicHJvZHVjdF9p%0D%0AZCI6Ijg1NjAifQ%3D%3D%0D%0A&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=4714a&utm_source=1011&cid=mEmail_s1011_c4714a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For the obligatory LEAF content, will the 220V outlet be able to charge my LEAF with a 3.3KW charger and a Clipper Creek LC25P EVSE using a NEMA 10-30 plug? Numerically by watts, it should work, but I've seen other threads on MNL that say somehow generators don't work well with car chargers.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Back