LEAF in Kansas City

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MobileEV said:
Another KC-related question: How frequent and long are power outages in this area? I've never lived in an area with tornadoes and that sort of extreme weather, so as much as I hate to buy and maintain another combustion engine, I'm wondering if it's worthwhile getting a generator to run the house/heat/fridge/etc.

I see these advertised...

http://www.harborfreight.com/6500-Peak5500-Running-Watts-13-HP-420cc-Gas-Generator-EPA-III-68529.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2RlIjoiNDMzNTk1OTMiLCJza3UiOiI2ODUyOSIsImlzIjoiNDU5Ljk5IiwicHJvZHVjdF9p%0D%0AZCI6Ijg1NjAifQ%3D%3D%0D%0A&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=4714a&utm_source=1011&cid=mEmail_s1011_c4714a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For the obligatory LEAF content, will the 220V outlet be able to charge my LEAF with a 3.3KW charger and a Clipper Creek LC25P EVSE using a NEMA 10-30 plug? Numerically by watts, it should work, but I've seen other threads on MNL that say somehow generators don't work well with car chargers.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

makes me laugh....was just talking about power outages due to ice storms a few minutes ago. i've lived through 3 ice storms here, one in Springfield, a October snow outage, and a summer outage when the wind finished off what the ice storm started. each one of these outages lasted for 4 days. the unfortunate answer to your question is it all depends. if your lines are the same grid as a school or business, short outage; if you're in an isolated residential area, long outage.

some of the outages the temps were so cold that you didn't need to worry about things in fridge warming up. in one case there was enough snow on the ground to use snow caves if you got worried. other outages it went from 31*F to 60*F the next day and everyone was scrambling to get food chilled.

i can't really say for sure if it's worth getting a generator or not. i've lived here my whole life (almost) without one. would have used it more often for power tools at Scout projects than for power outages.

i would check with your neighbors to see if they were in that area in 1996 for the october surprise (snow, 4 day outage) or 2001/02 ice storm (4 day outage) and see how long the power was out on those.

Tom

Agree with Tom. Have lived here all my life and the worst outages have been in the recent past, 3-4 days at most, depending on your area. Never had a huge need to do anything drastic or buy a generator. Wood burning fireplace helped and my family is also here, so I have choices for places to go, if needed. Same with work (hospital, always online). Probably best practice to charge up before a big storm, if you know it's coming and map out alternative charging locations.

I've also seen several threads on EVSEs and the necessary plugs/voltages...since it's not my area of expertise, I recommend rechecking the forum for more info. Lots of experts have weighed in. The more you look, you may find the answer you need.

Thought I'd let you all know that I did indeed lease a '15 Leaf SV from Machens in Columbia last week. This morning, I had a Clipper Creek HSC-40 6.6Kw charging station installed here in Sedalia.

Depending on your route from KC, you may find it within range. From Warrensburg, taking DD to Hwy Y allows you to travel at lower speeds (mostly a 45mph.route) but is still not a bad road overall.

I've added my location to PlugShare. Give me a shout if you're thinking of traveling this direction. Hopefully, I can help.out.

Happy Thanksgiving!

dvchris said:
Thought I'd let you all know that I did indeed lease a '15 Leaf SV from Machens in Columbia last week. This morning, I had a Clipper Creek HSC-40 6.6Kw charging station installed here in Sedalia.

Depending on your route from KC, you may find it within range. From Warrensburg, taking DD to Hwy Y allows you to travel at lower speeds (mostly a 45mph.route) but is still not bad.

I've added my location to PlugShare. Give me a shout it you're thinking of traveling this direction. Hopefully, I can help.out.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Fantastic on all counts, thanks Chris! Hope to see you at some EVents like National Drive Electric Week 2015. Some of us LEAFers also get together for tech sessions occasionally, although you won't be needing a tire rotation or cabin filter change for some time.

I'm missing my LEAF already while driving a stinky, jerky, and noisy Fiesta rental car after flying to see family. Blech!

MobileEV said:
For you Missouri LEAFers, I just received a MO Department of Revenue Form 3021 "Notice of Special Fuel Decal Requirement" which requires me to pay $78.50 in lieu of fuel tax used for maintenance of Missouri streets and highways.

Is this something new or have you all had to pay this before?

Karl
Oh, yeah, Karl, that's the penalty the good state of Missouri charges alternative fuel vehicles to make up for the gas tax they're losing for roads. We are fully aware of it. You may have noticed the gaudy yellow decal on our windshields - that's it! Several states do it. You should have purchased one when you registered your car after you bought it, but around here EVs are rare enough the motor vehicle departments aren't that familiar. (I had to ask for mine the first time and it was a run-around. The second time they were more aware.) The sticker charge would have been prorated for the number of months left in the year when you bought the car. Don't be surprised if they try to make up for that when you buy the next sticker or renew your tags. Sorry you're just now learning about the gift we get for being LEAFers.

Kathy

Interesting timing. I believe that it was through this board that I first learned of this tax, shortly before leasing a Leaf from Machens in Columbia. I received my licence plates yesterday,but there was no mention of the Alternative Fuel Tax sticker. I believe this sticker is the responsibility of the vehicle owner (NMAC) based on the wording on the Dept of Revenue website.

I called Machens, was transferred to the guy who handles title registration, and he had never heard of this tax or sticker. I think.he thought I was dreaming it up. They've never done anything on this for either leased OR purchased Leads.After hanging up to look into it, he called back to say that NMAC *should* be mailing me a sticker. I have a feeling this is going to require several phone calls to work through.

On the plus side, if they are right, the lease will also mean that NMAC will have to pay this 3 times in the next 3 year... not me. Can anyone confirm this?

Ok KC Leafers... we're about to find out

You've been selected to take part in our vehicle exchange program. Based on your estimated equity position, you may be able to trade out of your 2012 NISSAN LEAF that you purchased on 06/23/2012 and into a new model with no money out of pocket, potentially keep your current <really big> payment the same or possibly even reduce it. To participate in this unique program, please reply to this email to schedule a VIP Appointment with your Vehicle Exchange Coordinator.

Direct email from the sales guy I bought from so it's a legit offer but not sure what the details are. Might have a new Leaf tonight....probably won't.

Tom

Greetings everyone.

Merry Christmas!!

It looks like we might have our first Level 3 charger in town. Check it out:

Name: KCP&L / PRAIRIEFIRE#1A
Address: 5602 W. 136th, Overland Park, KS
Plug Type: DC Fast - Ports: 1
Station Description: Located right inside the entrance to the parking garage
Driver Tip:

I got this from ChargePoint's website. I don't know if the parking garage is public or not. I might check it out tomorrow. I almost want to check it out tonight, but charging in a strange garage at 10 p.m. Christmas Eve would be a little weird.

I took a little trip today to check out the area's first Level 3 charger. I can confirm that it does exist; however, the charger is not yet powered, so I was unable to use it....bummer. It looks like it supports both Chademo and the competing SAE standard. They put it in kind of an awkward spot, just as you enter the garage.

image.jpg

ericvoll said:
Greetings everyone.

Merry Christmas!!

Driver Tip:

I got this from ChargePoint's website. I don't know if the parking garage is public or not. I might check it out tomorrow. I almost want to check it out tonight, but charging in a strange garage at 10 p.m. Christmas Eve would be a little weird.

Great to know, Eric! Thanks for posting. Unfortunately 136th & BFE doesn't help me at all. They need one up the I35 or I29 corridor or somewhere along I70 or I435 in MISSOURI to help us. Huge bummer. ..but Tom will surely enjoy frying his battery on it periodically! Glass half full. Maybe soon...

Happy New Year everyone!

Kathy

Actually that DCQC is pretty close to my favorite Japanese restaurant. Charger is at 136th and Nall and restaurant is at 135th and Metcalf. "Close" by suburban standards but not really useful unless returning to the city from down south, which I have done on occasion.

In other EV news, I was in KY for a funeral and this a.m. when we were trying to find the Waffle House a Mitsubishi iMiev crossed right in front of us. I never would have expected any EV in Paducah KY. Now I need to check PlugShare to see wassup with plugs there. Looks like the closest public plug is the Ford dealer in Murry like 30 miles away.

Almost a month later, and the station is still offline. Hmmmm.

ericvoll said:
I took a little trip today to check out the area's first Level 3 charger. I can confirm that it does exist; however, the charger is not yet powered, so I was unable to use it....bummer. It looks like it supports both Chademo and the competing SAE standard. They put it in kind of an awkward spot, just as you enter the garage.

image.jpg

ericvoll said:
Greetings everyone.

Merry Christmas!!

Driver Tip:

Bummer...and grrrr :x on the ICEhole who blocked it.

On another note, I finally got around to viewing the video for the climate control upgrade (see: http://youtu.be/g0_CWiq3qT4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and I could just kick myself for not buying this 2 years ago! I imagined I'd have to learn basic soldering and perform electronic surgery...boy, was I wrong. It's a 5 minute fix, $138, allowing 2011 & 2012 LEAFs to gain control of the heater/run the fan without heater or air (see this thread:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=6751&hilit=Gain+control+of+your+heater" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). I contacted the vendor EVSE Upgrade (http://www.evseupgrade.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and received the following response:

Sent: Tuesday, January 20, 2015 9:23 AM
To: (redacted)
Subject: Re: Website Inquiry from EVSE Upgrade

Sorry,

We are no longer offering the climate upgrade but will be selling the ones we have in the next week or two. As soon as we do this I will send you an email.

Regards,

Mark
EVSE Upgrade
http://www.evseupgrade.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
509-651-8000

SO, if any of you are interested in fixing this very frustrating climate control problem on your cars (if you haven't already), I suggest you contact EVSE Upgrade and ask to be notified when they're selling their remaining stock. It appears from the response that will be very soon.

-Kathy

Back