Goodbye Leaf, Hello Model 3

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How does maintenance work on a Tesla? Will a regular shop work on them? How do you get parts? Where is warranty work handled? I never really thought about that before?

golfcart said:
How does maintenance work on a Tesla? Will a regular shop work on them? How do you get parts? Where is warranty work handled? I never really thought about that before?

Once you get past the car itself, everything else is a crap shoot. I'm lucky to have a Tesla service center 5 miles from my house. They also provide roadside service. I don't think there are any independent shops near me. Fortunately the recommended service is just brake fluid at 25k miles /2 years and battery coolant at 50k miles/4 years. Best case I don't see the shop for 4 years. Worst case ... well it's not good. They just made their parts catalog available so hopefully more DIY and independent shops will be created.

pipestem said:
golfcart said:

Once you get past the car itself, everything else is a crap shoot. I'm lucky to have a Tesla service center 5 miles from my house. They also provide roadside service. I don't think there are any independent shops near me. Fortunately the recommended service is just brake fluid at 25k miles /2 years and battery coolant at 50k miles/4 years. Best case I don't see the shop for 4 years. Worst case ... well it's not good. They just made their parts catalog available so hopefully more DIY and independent shops will be created.

A well known Youtuber said Tesla don't sell parts.
So the parts catalog is out but you cannot buy new parts. You have to go to junkyard or eBay for parts.

golfcart said:
Will a regular shop work on them?
Where is warranty work handled?
On the first part, highly doubtful if it's EV system related work you want.

As for the latter, Tesla service centers and mobile service.

I was just on the Tesla website and it says "standard battery available in 4-6 months". I'm assuming that is the promised $35k Tesla... It sucks that by the time this version comes out they'll have an $1875 federal tax credit at best.

golfcart said:
I was just on the Tesla website and it says "standard battery available in 4-6 months". I'm assuming that is the promised $35k Tesla... It sucks that by the time this version comes out they'll have an $1875 federal tax credit at best.
I think it is fantastic. Imagine, a Tesla Model 3 for $35k before any applicable tax breaks.

golfcart said:

And will you complain when the $35,000 version isn't available in 4-6 months??
Tesla did not say the $35,000 version will be available in 4-6 months, they said the standard battery will be.
Please note, I am not picking on you, just noting that some have a tendency to make assumptions, and then claim "Tesla Promised..." when they really didn't.

I expect the standard range battery to be available packaged with the premium package to start. I doubt the $35,000 version will be available while any part of the federal rebate is in place.

Zythryn said:
Tesla did not say the $35,000 version will be available in 4-6 months, they said the standard battery will be.
Please note, I am not picking on you, just noting that some have a tendency to make assumptions, and then claim "Tesla Promised..." when they really didn't.

I expect the standard range battery to be available packaged with the premium package to start. I doubt the $35,000 version will be available while any part of the federal rebate is in place.

Yes I'll complain. To be honest I don't know what Tesla (Musk) actually promised in the beginning but I know is that the media, specifically the EV specific websites, have been hyping a $35k Tesla model 3 for the last couple years and I've yet to see anything under $45k.

In addition, according to this article and many others like it,

the company would start delivering the $35,000 base model of the Model 3 three-to-six months after hitting a production rate of 5,000 Model 3s per week.

https://www.businessinsider.com/elon-musk-shares-35000-tesla-model-3-timeline-2018-5

They hit that in July based on what I've read

https://electrek.co/2018/07/01/tesla-model-3-production-milestone-record-total-production-elon-musk/

so it seems like he keeps moving the goalposts. I don't feel like I'm being unreasonable by grumbling about that and I don't feel like I'm being misleading about what they promised.

That is an exciting news!!
$35k - $1850 + 1000(destination charge) = $34150.
That's in the ball park of all the other 200 Mile + range BEV existing or coming out.
I would buy the Tesla SR because of the super charger network.

Baltneu said:
But is this $35K Tesla a "strippie"?

I don’t know if you could call it a stripie as even a base model 3 2WD standard range battery with access to the Supercharger network is and will be much better than something like a bolt but yah. It won’t have the premium upgrade package, glass roof, Enhanced autopilot etc. So yah it will be not as nice as the 44000 medium range with premium upgrade available right now. And that’s why I don’t see much call for a plane Jane 35000 model 3 standard range. Most people will want to dress it up a bit. But yah, I think it will be available in third quarter 2019.

I also think Bolt will have to drop their price 5000 bucks about the same time or be decimated. GM’s big advantage is that all they have to do is threaten bankruptcy again and the taxpayers will bail them out again. They will play this card by 2022...maybe...possibly. :).

Jmho

Baltneu said:
But is this $35K Tesla a "strippie"?

My preference would be a "strippie". I don't need leather, don't care about a glass roof, and don't need the advanced auto pilot.

I want fast, reliable, good handling, and a decent stereo. Heated steering wheel and seats are nice but I could live without them. I'd have gladly bought a 200 mile RWD Tesla model 3 "standard battery" model if it existed for $35k with the full federal credit.

With no credit, which seems likely, I don't know... It depends what the base e-plus is offering and what my wife will put up with. :D

webeleafowners said:
I don’t know if you could call it a stripie as even a base model 3 2WD standard range battery with access to the Supercharger network is and will be much better than something like a bolt but yah. It won’t have the premium upgrade package, glass roof, Enhanced autopilot etc. So yah it will be not as nice as the 44000 medium range with premium upgrade available right now.
Enhanced autopilot is an option on all Tesla cars, so I suspect it would available on the "stripie" Model 3, too, since the hardware is there no matter what.

jlv said:
Enhanced autopilot is an option on all Tesla cars, so I suspect it would available on the "stripie" Model 3, too, since the hardware is there no matter what.
EAP is a $5000 option.

The $35k version will include the autopilot safety features (automatic emergency braking, front collision warning, side collision warning), but it won't include enhanced autopilot.

tesleaf said:
That is an exciting news!!
$35k - $1850 + 1000(destination charge) = $34150.
That's in the ball park of all the other 200 Mile + range BEV existing or coming out.
I would buy the Tesla SR because of the super charger network.

Yeah, it sounds like a decent value. It'd be a hell of a lot better with the full credit but it is what it is.

Whether it is a better deal than the "eplus" leaf just depends on you expectation for the car. Realistically, any $35k car is probably going to be $35,999 so lets assume Leaf 2 and Tesla 3 "base" are both $36k same as the base bolt is right now. So 2019 Q3, when this Tesla could possibly exist (just assumptions, nobody really knows), these are the likely options:

$36k - $1875 + $1000 = $35,125 Tesla "base" (theoretical)
$36k - $3750 + $1000 = $33,250 Bolt LT (actually exists)
$36k - $7500 + $1000 = $29,500 Leaf "eplus" (theoretical)

There may be a couple more like the Kona, Niro, and Soul by then that are comparable to the Leaf (or even better than the leaf depending on your tastes) but I still think the Leaf "eplus" stacks up pretty well assuming the rumored specs of 200+ mile range, 200hp, 0-60 ~6sec, 100kW charging, etc... are true. Is the supercharger network and the better looks/performance of the Tesla worth $6000 to you over a Leaf and $2000 over a Bolt? Maybe it is maybe it isn't it just depends on the individual.

Now obviously, if the federal credit didn't exist then you'd go with the Tesla due to the charging network, battery reliability, and general coolness of the car. But $6k is not chump change. Not to mention getting the color you want on a Leaf is not going to cost you an extra $1500 - $2000 and you'll likely not pay MSRP for the Leaf while you are guaranteed to pay MSRP for the Tesla. Either way, it is exciting times for EV enthusiasts!

Zythryn said:
golfcart said:

It's a tax credit, not a rebate.

Remember that Tesla previously claimed at https://web.archive.org/web/20170731003139/https://www.tesla.com/support/model-3-reservations-faq
Additional configurations, including the Model 3 with standard equipment for $35,000, will become available as production ramps, which we expect to be in November 2017.
:lol:

And, Elon at the end of March 2016 near the end of the unveil confirmed the price would be $35,000. If he was honest and said $49K and only later (months or years) talked about $35K or whatever lower price points when they were actually ready ship them.

cwerdna said:
Remember that Tesla previously claimed at https://web.archive.org/web/20170731003139/https://www.tesla.com/support/model-3-reservations-faq

There is the proof I couldn't find. I appreciate the link. It seems to me like they dangled that out there to create hype and garner more reservations but he probably knew there was no chance they'd be shipping $35k cars in 2017. Nissan may have a (deservedly) bad reputation for the battery degradation issue but Tesla has been promising this $35k car for years and hasn't come close to delivering yet so they can be criticized as well.

^^^
Indeed. You should see the reaction from some of the Tesla fanboys and apologists (esp. on some other forums I'm on) whenever this is brought up. :roll: And, from the unveil but w/o a specific date of the $35K Model 3 but w/the price, see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4VGQPk2Dl8, skip to ~16:53.

And, from the snapshots, since some folks did their duty (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9553) of submitting that URL to https://archive.org/web/, you can see how their messaging about the mythical $35K car and other versions has evolved.

golfcart said:
Zythryn said:

Yes I'll complain. To be honest I don't know what Tesla (Musk) actually promised in the beginning but I know is that the media, specifically the EV specific websites, have been hyping a $35k Tesla model 3 for the last couple years and I've yet to see anything under $45k.

In addition, according to this article and many others like it,

the company would start delivering the $35,000 base model of the Model 3 three-to-six months after hitting a production rate of 5,000 Model 3s per week.

https://www.businessinsider.com/elon-musk-shares-35000-tesla-model-3-timeline-2018-5

They hit that in July based on what I've read

https://electrek.co/2018/07/01/tesla-model-3-production-milestone-record-total-production-elon-musk/

so it seems like he keeps moving the goalposts. I don't feel like I'm being unreasonable by grumbling about that and I don't feel like I'm being misleading about what they promised.

Tesla has moved the release date of the $35k version a number of times. No question there.
However, this time they did NOT say the $35k version was coming in 4-6 months. You are just setting yourself up for disappointment.

Tesla doesn't have a windfalls of cash coming in from the sale of big trucks and SUVs. They can't afford to make a car and sell it at a loss. As such, you won't see the Base model until they can build it profitably or absorb the losses (which they can't afford to do yet).

golfcart said:
Is the supercharger network and the better looks/performance of the Tesla worth $6000 to you over a Leaf and $2000 over a Bolt? Maybe it is maybe it isn't it just depends on the individual.

Last I heard, Nissan is just using a passive air cooled TMS. That is a deal killer. I feel you can get by with a passive system on a small hybrid battery, like the prius, but as #rapidgate shows, no active TMS will prevent a quick charge.

Back