Gen 1 GM Volt Plug-In Hybrid (2011-2015)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mkjayakumar said:
If it is the latter, can it charge at a rate faster than than the discharge while driving in highways ?

It can charge even while cruising on the hwy.. the generator was sized to drive the Volt at 100mph on level ground, so if you go slower than that the excess will be used to charge the battery (if needed). GM does not want to charge the battery using gasoline.

Herm said:
mkjayakumar said:
If it is the latter, can it charge at a rate faster than than the discharge while driving in highways ?
It can charge even while cruising on the hwy.. the generator was sized to drive the Volt at 100mph on level ground, so if you go slower than that the excess will be used to charge the battery (if needed). GM does not want to charge the battery using gasoline.
The stated goal is to drive the car on electricity as much as possible. Charge at home for ~1/5 the cost. It can occur at 55-60MPH where it will build up a tiny buffer (~.5kWh) and the ICE will shut off for a few minutes. Generally at 65+ the ICE just keeps the battery up and buffer around a stable SOC to propel the car with a little extra for a hill or passing.

Summary-of-some-of-Volt-s-SOCs-thresholds-and-kWh-(and-MM-HOLD-mode)
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?13059-Summary-of-some-of-Volt-s-SOCs-thresholds-and-kWh-(and-MM-HOLD-mode" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Is this true that Volt doesn't qualify for "no sales tax in WA for EVs"? If that's the case, then it's a complete deal breaker for me, at least on the purchase price. Also, I got a quote for fully loaded 13 Volt at roughly 36k (after tax credit), but with sales tax that would be 40k.

IBELEAF said:
Is this true that Volt doesn't qualify for "no sales tax in WA for EVs"? If that's the case, then it's a complete deal breaker for me, at least on the purchase price. Also, I got a quote for fully loaded 13 Volt at roughly 36k (after tax credit), but with sales tax that would be 40k.
Good question for http://www.gm-volt.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

IBELEAF said:

unfortunately sales tax waiver for hybrids (assuming better than 40 mpg) ended in 2009

DaveinOlyWA said:
unfortunately sales tax waiver for hybrids (assuming better than 40 mpg) ended in 2009

I was under impression all this time that Volt was considered to be part of EV tax waiver. Anyway, I was under very positive impression from Volt driving, but after I estimated that upgrade from Leaf would cost me at least $14k it became less attractive. It just not worth this price difference for what it offers. Perhaps, if 2014 year model will be with more powerful engine and keeping same or better mpg then I would consider the jump.

Herm said:
Yes they try to avoid using the engine to charge the batteries. I think they try to match the RPM of the engine to the required electrical output of the generator. (The generator feeds electricity directly to the larger traction motor not to the battery). Going less than 100 MPH wouldn't result in electricity being sent to the battery, it would result in the engine turning over at a lower more efficient RPM.

SanDust said:
Herm said:
Yes they try to avoid using the engine to charge the batteries. I think they try to match the RPM of the engine to the required electrical output of the generator. (The generator feeds electricity directly to the larger traction motor not to the battery). Going less than 100 MPH wouldn't result in electricity being sent to the battery, it would result in the engine turning over at a lower more efficient RPM.
My understanding is that above 63 mph or so, the engine rpm is matched so the battery is maintained at a target average state of charge. At speeds under 63 mph or so, the battery is slowly charged within a narrow hybrid SOC window and then the engine is shut off and the car runs on battery for awhile (around 2 miles at 55-60 mph). Rinse and repeat. This charge cycling is more efficient than running the engine at even slower RPM. On a warmed up engine (after 5+ highway miles) I get anywhere from 45-50 mpg driving 55 mph as the engine cycles on and off like that.

IBELEAF said:
Perhaps, if 2014 year model will be with more powerful engine and keeping same or better mpg then I would consider the jump.
You need more than 150 HP, 273 ft. lbs. torque, and 0-60 in 8.5 seconds? You do realize that the Volt is a bit faster in CS mode with the engine than it is in EV-only mode? The gas engine is only 80 HP or so but the car still has access to a SOC window in the battery pack that makes up the difference for any realistic short-term power gap.

mkjayakumar said:
Does the gas engine in the Volt directly drive the wheels under any circumstances.....??
At reasonably steady speeds above 37 mph or so, the Volt operates much like a Prius and uses a combination of mechanical torque and a series electrical generation path to drive the wheels via a continuously variable planetary gear setup. During higher torque requirements (harder acceleration) or speeds under 37 mph or so the Volt runs as a serial hybrid without a mechanical path to the wheels. It has automatic transmission type clutches to switch between these modes.

drees said:
I think you can go something like 2 years between oil changes if you don't use the engine much. The car watches how the engine is used and adjusts the OCI for you so they are generally a rare event. Even without running the engine much, the oil can accumulate water and stuff which you want to remove.
I've driven on gasoline about 11,000 miles in the last 1.5 years and the car tells me I still have half of my oil lifetime remaining. I'll get it changed when the 2 year limit comes up in Decembe, as recommended due to calendar aging. Part of the good oil life is due to use of synthetic oil and the other part is that most gasoline burning on the Volt will be done on the highway. Oil lifetime is hurt more by short trips on the engine during city driving and repeated cold engine starts and the Volt's EV range tends to reduce the need for those versus a conventional or non-plugin hybrid. The Volt's engine computer keeps track of your usage pattern and uses that to calculate the estimated oil life.

Looks like GM has been making steady improvements with the Volt every year. Check out the city/hwy MPGe numbers for 2011-2013:

2011: 95 city / 90 hwy / 93 combined
2012: 95 city / 93 hwy / 94 combined
2013: 101 city / 93 hwy / 98 combined

The 2013 Volt is now within 1 MPGe combined of the LEAF which is 106 city / 92 hwy / 99 MPGe combined.

Would love to see similar improvements with the LEAF. Wonder what GM did to improve the city economy so much for 2013? Too bad the gasoline economy hasn't changed at all.

See here to compare the 3 Volts to the LEAF: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=30980&id=31618&id=32655&id=32154" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

drees said:
Looks like GM has been making steady improvements with the Volt every year. Check out the city/hwy MPGe numbers for 2011-2013:

2011: 95 city / 90 hwy / 93 combined
2012: 95 city / 93 hwy / 94 combined
2013: 101 city / 93 hwy / 98 combined

The 2013 Volt is now within 1 MPGe combined of the LEAF which is 106 city / 92 hwy / 99 MPGe combined.

Would love to see similar improvements with the LEAF. Wonder what GM did to improve the city economy so much for 2013? Too bad the gasoline economy hasn't changed at all.

See here to compare the 3 Volts to the LEAF: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=30980&id=31618&id=32655&id=32154" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Woudl that reflect the more efficient (or at least more capacity/larger range) battery, in a part EV/part gas trip? I don't remember how they determine MPGe.

GRA said:
Woudl that reflect the more efficient (or at least more capacity/larger range) battery, in a part EV/part gas trip? I don't remember how they determine MPGe.
No, electric MPGe is purely a measure of how efficient the car is, not how far it can go per charge.

65 million EV miles from most of the USA Volt owners so far. Does not include those that didn't sign up for OnStar or the other countries Volt's/Ampera's.

xcmu.jpeg

Via: http://www.chevrolet.com/volt-electric-car.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

65 million EV miles from most of the USA Volt owners so far. Does not include those that didn't sign up for OnStar or the other countries Volt's/Ampera's.

I saw one the other day. It's a nice looking car.

Back