Gen 1 GM Volt Plug-In Hybrid (2011-2015)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IBELEAF, thanks for assuaging my fears!

stanos, here are some youtube clips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwUuFUbulw8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkkAwWLgxDI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CHAMP said:
IBELEAF, thanks for assuaging my fears!

stanos, here are some youtube clips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwUuFUbulw8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkkAwWLgxDI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thank you sir... Volkswagon Beetle wheels... I'm looking at you!!! :twisted:

A Volt passed me while accelerating up the freeway on-ramp. His license plate was:

------------
AMP*OHM
------------

The perfect gEEk plate.

Incidentally, once we were on the freeway, my white sticker trumped his lead foot up the ramp. :cool:

CHAMP said:
I ended up getting a Volt a few days ago, after exhaustively reading posts here. Thanks for all the useful information, but I decided that the Leaf wouldn't fit my needs.
Given the last entry in the Official New Owner thread was July 22, at the moment we "officially" have more members getting Volts than Leafs. What exactly made the Volt better suited for your needs?

Today first time drove using gas engine and I was a bit surprised by mpg. I had a lot of hills on the way, but it showed 16 mpg average. I thought it was 37, is it not the case?

IBELEAF said:
Today first time drove using gas engine and I was a bit surprised by mpg. I had a lot of hills on the way, but it showed 16 mpg average. I thought it was 37, is it not the case?
As always YMMV. hills, traffic lights etc., all killers but the worst part is the inherent inefficiencies of an ICE

My Volt was driven from Oklahoma to my dealer in Texas, about 200 miles and averaged 50 MPG. (I haven't used any gas yet).

Flat straight highway driving, I guess.

IBELEAF said:
Today first time drove using gas engine and I was a bit surprised by mpg, it showed 16 mpg average.
Only time I've seen sustained MPG like that was in Mountain Mode, bringing the SOC back up. Otherwise, unless you just ran a short distance (as Herm suggests) I've never seen a number that low. The first mile or two gets sucky MPGage, so going *just* beyond the AER bodes poorly.

yeah, i had mountain mode and only burned gas for 3 miles, but later the same day I drove 20 miles on gas and average was showing at 30 mpg, so good enough for me.

Cheezmo said:
My Volt was driven from Oklahoma to my dealer in Texas, about 200 miles and averaged 50 MPG. (I haven't used any gas yet). Flat straight highway driving, I guess.

I wonder how fast they drove it.. Rusty, you have any data for steady hwy cruising at different speeds?

Herm said:
Cheezmo said:
My Volt was driven from Oklahoma to my dealer in Texas, about 200 miles and averaged 50 MPG.
I wonder how fast they drove it.. Rusty, you have any data for steady hwy cruising at different speeds?
Somebody may, but I don't.

Any of the times I'm burning gas I'm usually going some place far away, and the thought of doing so at speeds less than 70 MPH are foreign to me. And to produce any reliable flat land steady speed driving tests I have to go quite a distance just to get to a test site (I live in hilly So Cal). So coming up with those sorts of numbers would be a day or two exercise (and would have to wait until the desert cools off again).

I *do* have a long-ish drive coming up for the Volt soon. I'm heading for up-state Michigan on Tuesday (round trip, about 5k miles). Most of the trip will probably be in the 75+ MPH range...

SanDust said:
CHAMP said:
I ended up getting a Volt a few days ago, after exhaustively reading posts here. Thanks for all the useful information, but I decided that the Leaf wouldn't fit my needs.
Given the last entry in the Official New Owner thread was July 22, at the moment we "officially" have more members getting Volts than Leafs. What exactly made the Volt better suited for your needs?

Hi SanDust,

I have a 60 mile (mostly highway) round trip commute, with no charging option at work (I park on the street). I'm not willing to go without the heater when it's 15 degrees F nor the air conditioner when it approaches 100 degrees.

Short version, I was worried about the range. Perhaps when my lease is up and the 2014's are out I could consider a Leaf.

I may end up using .5 gallons of gas per trip, but I figure that's a bit better than the 2+ gallons pre Volt.

I suspected they drove kind of slow which was surprisingly nice of them. Speed limit should have been 70 most of the way.

I think it is pretty funny that my two Volts MPGcs ratings on VoltStats are currently:

49.92, #15, (99%)
17.00, #1371, (2.6%)

None of it our doing, we have used half a gallon on the 2nd car or it would have been lower.

CHAMP said:
Short version, I was worried about the range. Perhaps when my lease is up and the 2014's are out I could consider a Leaf.
Makes sense. I've been saying the Leaf works well for commutes of 40 miles or less. Your commute is probably a bit too long to do reliably given all the possible issues.

So far enjoying Volt very much. It has a some little things that were missing in Leaf and not really obvious by looking at the car:

- brief turn signal (no idea what's it called, but it flashes 3 times and stops)
- push button charger opener
- remote has also charger opener
- it defaults to normal (aka eco) driving mode
- remotely preheat/precool car with remote
- open all windows with remote
- cloth seats are much better quality
- driving in L is actually very enjoyable, barely use brakes
- illuminated buttons everywhere
- no "OK" button to press
- Android app that doesn't look cartoonish and provides more information available about the car

One thing that annoys me so much though is the reversed cruise and volume/call controls. All my previous cars (Japanese) volume controls were on the left. I don't see any good reason to have them that way.

IBELEAF said:

My least favorite part. While I don't have to press the "OK" button on the screen in the Volt, I have to press the Drive Mode button twice to get it to Sport every time I turn it on.

Cheezmo said:
IBELEAF said:

My least favorite part. While I don't have to press the "OK" button on the screen in the Volt, I have to press the Drive Mode button twice to get it to Sport every time I turn it on.
Why can't they simply remember the last setting? Better yet, let drivers create profiles with their favorite settings?

We have the same problem in the ActiveE field trial. Most people prefer to drive in Eco mode, and are forced to push a little button next to the drive selector on every startup. This is so brainless, especially in the age of iPods and other marvels of consumer electronics that cater to our every whim.

Personally, I prefer driving in "Sport" mode, but have no problem with switching it. I wish it could just remember your last setting, perhaps Volt 2.0 will have it.

IBELEAF said:
One thing that annoys me so much though is the reversed cruise and volume/call controls. All my previous cars (Japanese) volume controls were on the left. I don't see any good reason to have them that way.

Guess it depends what you're used to. Both our cars now (German) have the volume control on the right side of the steering wheel. I would find it odd if they were on the left side.

Back