Gen 1 GM Volt Plug-In Hybrid (2011-2015)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DrInnovation said:
Only reason would be cost. Its a fine unit and provides some future potential, though hard to know what will be the "standard" in 5-6 years as this stuff is evolving rapidly. I drive 35-60 miles EV miles a day in my volt and I just use L1 charger that came with it. (I'm getting 45-50 miles per charge in the summer, but on days with errands I'll throw an extension cord out a window at work to get the range up a tad).

If your friend needs to lots of quick trips after returning from work, or drives > 45 a day then L2 now is good. I expect competition to eventually drive down the price If/when I get an L2, it will be for work, where it can be shared over many people, not for me at home.

I think he's going to want the ability to zap in a few extra miles quickly for those evening errands; I know we do from time to time on the Leaf. There are no charging facilities at work so it will almost exclusively be home charging then switch to gas. From what I'm hearing the only regret a Volt owner might have for going with the Schneider is possibly overpaying a bit.

I've seen a few times now about the misconception that the Volt needs the 12v battery to start the car *because* it has an ICE/GG.
Not true!!

The 12v battery in the Volt is *just* to "boot" the computers.

The Volt does not have a have a traditional starter motor (per SAE article **) but uses the 45 kW 'generator motor' to start the ICE/GasGen. It does have a 600:CCA 60:AH 12v battey (picture) but this certainly does not run the 54kW motor to start the ICE/GG.

The 12v battery in the Volt is good sized (CCA) as you can jump other cars from it easily and with the Volt "on" the APM will let the 360v charge the 12v so you can jump the neighbors 4x4 truck in the dead of winter. Another part of what makes the Volt appears to be a "normal" car to the masses out there.

** Chevrolet Volt Special Edition - SAE Vehicle Electrification - Title: A new role for the ICE section

Volt_12v_Battery.jpg

On lefthand side of this picture is the two access points for jumping another vehicle. If your Volt needs a jump then that can be done from under the hood.

Simple question. After the Volt's EV battery has been depleted and it's being driven in CS mode, does the ICE or Regenerative braking or both kick in to charge the Volt battery so that if you take a long trip, the battery is full again at destination? That would be cool!

eHelmholtz said:
Simple question. After the Volt's EV battery has been depleted and it's being driven in CS mode, does the ICE or Regenerative braking or both kick in to charge the Volt battery so that if you take a long trip, the battery is full again at destination? That would be cool!
No the ICE does not fully charge the battery. Burning gas to charge the battery is what non-plugin hybrids do and is not what the Volt is/does. It provide just enough to propel the car with a tiny buffer for small hills, merging, etc.

The point of the car it to drive on electricity as much as possible and they want you to charge off the grid for 1/5th | 1/6th the cost.

scottf200 said:
Burning gas to charge the battery is what non-plugin hybrids do and is not what the Volt is/does. It provide just enough to propel the car with a tiny buffer for small hills, merging, etc.
When the Volt's battery is depleted, it is/does the exact same as a non-plugin hybrid is/does (ignoring architectural differences between the Volt and other hybrids). Only difference is that it has a larger window of SOC capacity and higher power battery/motors with which to meet it's goals of minimizing fuel consumption. Charging the battery with gas engine is counter-productive to this goal.

If you compare the Prius and plug-in Prius, for example, one finds that in real-life the plug-in is more easily able to get better fuel economy when the battery is depleted thanks to it's bigger lithium battery compared to the small NiMH battery in the non-plugin car. Interestingly, the EPA numbers don't really reflect this, though.

Edit: Slightly clarify SOC comment

drees said:
scottf200 said:
Burning gas to charge the battery is what non-plugin hybrids do and is not what the Volt is/does. It provide just enough to propel the car with a tiny buffer for small hills, merging, etc.
When the Volt's battery is depleted, it is/does the exact same as a non-plugin hybrid is/does (ignoring architectural differences between the Volt and other hybrids). Only difference is that it has a larger window of SOC and higher power battery/motors with which to meet it's goals of minimizing fuel consumption.
In the Volt the actually SOC where the ICE comes on is ~22% and may go up to ~24-25% for the tiny window. I'm sure the typical non-plugin hybrid goes up a lot more than that 2-3%.

scottf200 said:
In the Volt the actually SOC where the ICE comes on is ~22% and may go up to ~24-25% for the tiny window. I'm sure the typical non-plugin hybrid goes up a lot more than that 2-3%.
You're right, that part of my comment wasn't clear. A hybrid with a 1.5 kWh battery will typically see see SOC swing between 30-70%, but that's only about 0.6 kWh total to work with (and will typically stay within a much smaller range than that). How low will the Volt let it's SOC get before reducing propulsion? 0.6 kWh is about 4% of the Volt's total capacity, so at a minimum, I'd guess that it lets the SOC get down to 20% before it thinks about reducing propulsion, but regardless - the larger pack will allow much more regenerative braking and is capable of delivering significantly more power - but aside from that capability functions exactly the same as a regular hybrid in terms of setting min/max battery SOC limits and neither will burn gas to charge the battery just for the sake of charging it.

drees said:
scottf200 said:
You're right, that part of my comment wasn't clear. A hybrid with a 1.5 kWh battery will typically see see SOC swing between 30-70%, but that's only about 0.6 kWh total to work with (and will typically stay within a much smaller range than that). How low will the Volt let it's SOC get before reducing propulsion? 0.6 kWh is about 4% of the Volt's total capacity, so at a minimum, I'd guess that it lets the SOC get down to 20% before it thinks about reducing propulsion, but regardless - the larger pack will allow much more regenerative braking and is capable of delivering significantly more power - but aside from that capability functions exactly the same as a regular hybrid in terms of setting min/max battery SOC limits and neither will burn gas to charge the battery just for the sake of charging it.
You are overlooking the basic point here. In a non-plugin hybrid, all of the energy ever put into the battery comes from the engine. It seems to me our Prius "likes" to stay up around 80% of usable charge, based on the bars, and why shouldn't it? That gives more buffer to augment the ICE. But Scott is telling you that the Volt never goes over 25% (ignoring mountain mode). That would be stupid, no matter how much battery capacity you have, except that the whole idea is to use as much electricity and as little gasoline as possible. Ideally you want the Volt battery to be empty when you get home. People who think the Volt is "just another hybrid" can't seem to understand that point.

Ray

planet4ever said:
You are overlooking the basic point here. In a non-plugin hybrid, all of the energy ever put into the battery comes from the engine.
No, I'm not. I'm fully aware that a non-plugin gets all it's energy from gasoline - just like a Volt which has entered CS mode gets all it's energy from gasoline.

Please read my recent posts in this thread more carefully. scottf200 said (and what I'm attempting to correct as it's completely wrong) in reply to eHelmholtz regarding the Volt's CS mode:

scottf200 said:
Burning gas to charge the battery is what non-plugin hybrids do and is not what the Volt is/does.
A non-plugin hybrid (which is always in CS mode) does not burn gas to charge the battery - it behaves exactly the same as the Volt when in CS mode. Remove that sentence from that post and the rest of it is completely correct.

planet4ever said:
It seems to me our Prius "likes" to stay up around 80% of usable charge, based on the bars, and why shouldn't it?
And people here complain about the accuracy of the gauges on the LEAF - the Prius' battery SOC gauge is even worse. Do not rely on it for anything except that when the gauge reads "full" it's more likely to keep the engine off and when it's "empty" or purple it's more likely to run the engine to keep SOC from getting too low.

planet4ever said:
But Scott is telling you that the Volt never goes over 25% (ignoring mountain mode).
I have never contested that the Volt would never use gas to charge the battery any more than necessary. My comments on SOC were primarily in relation to the Volt's larger battery being able to regen more energy (it can absorb more power for longer periods of time before filling up) - it has more kWh to work with before the ECU might limit EV power to avoid draining the battery to low under propulsion or charging the battery to high under regeneration.

drees said:
A non-plugin hybrid (which is always in CS mode) does not burn gas to charge the battery - it behaves exactly the same as the Volt when in CS mode.
Sorry, but I must respectfully disagree with you. A non-plugin hybrid is never in CS mode. It's goal is not to sustain the charge, but to maximize it, within the limits of long battery life. It wants to get you home with a full battery, so you can start out again primarily (or fully) on electric power while the engine is warming up. That is exactly the opposite of the CS goal.

Ray

drees said:
How low will the Volt let it's SOC get before reducing propulsion? 0.6 kWh is about 4% of the Volt's total capacity, so at a minimum, I'd guess that it lets the SOC get down to 20% before it thinks about reducing propulsion
My Volt kicks in to reduced power mode at 15% SOC. So that's ~7% of total SOC, or slightly over 1kW.

planet4ever said:
drees said:
A non-plugin hybrid (which is always in CS mode) does not burn gas to charge the battery - it behaves exactly the same as the Volt when in CS mode.
Sorry, but I must respectfully disagree with you. A non-plugin hybrid is never in CS mode. It's goal is not to sustain the charge, but to maximize it, within the limits of long battery life. It wants to get you home with a full battery, so you can start out again primarily (or fully) on electric power while the engine is warming up. That is exactly the opposite of the CS goal.
I have never seen a non-plugin behave that way. A non-plugin hybrid is always in CS mode. If you doubt me - feel free to ask over on Prius Chat. Heck - look at where Wikipedia takes you if you search for charge-sustaining.

Since your typical hybrid forces the engine on to warm it up at startup regardless of driving cycle to reduce emissions, if anything it should use that that time to charge the battery and provide propulsion rather than burn gas solely for the sake of warming up in which case you want the opposite of a full battery when starting off. It's completely pointless to charge the battery to full on a non-plugin hybrid before shutting down - never mind trying to guess when the user is going to turn off the car. You would have to have the engine run a few minutes after shut-down to charge the battery to charge it. Sorry, doesn't make any sense at all.

Rusty said:
drees said:
How low will the Volt let it's SOC get before reducing propulsion? 0.6 kWh is about 4% of the Volt's total capacity, so at a minimum, I'd guess that it lets the SOC get down to 20% before it thinks about reducing propulsion
My Volt kicks in to reduced power mode at 15% SOC. So that's ~7% of total SOC, or slightly over 1kW.
Thanks - how high does SOC typically get (ignoring abnormal situations like long descents) - do you also see 24-25%? Either way, 1 kWh is more usable capacity than what your typical non-plugin has available to it - 1 kWh is closer to the total capacity of the pack than the usable capacity (which appears to be slightly more than 0.5 kWh) of a hybrid like the Prius.

planet4ever said:
drees said:
scottf200 said:
You are overlooking the basic point here. In a non-plugin hybrid, all of the energy ever put into the battery comes from the engine. It seems to me our Prius "likes" to stay up around 80% of usable charge, based on the bars, and why shouldn't it? That gives more buffer to augment the ICE. But Scott is telling you that the Volt never goes over 25% (ignoring mountain mode). That would be stupid, no matter how much battery capacity you have, except that the whole idea is to use as much electricity and as little gasoline as possible. Ideally you want the Volt battery to be empty when you get home. People who think the Volt is "just another hybrid" can't seem to understand that point.

Ray

I can assure you that in CS mode, regen can recharge the battery to well over 25%.. Highest I've seen so far is 40%, but that was only a 2000ft elevation gain. Maybe this summer I'll do a 5000ft drop to see what it can do. But I agree, the gas engine will not recharge it above 24-25%, and will restart when the SOC is down to 20% or so. When you get the battery above 24% or so, the car will stay in CS mode but shut down the ICE.

I use android/torque to directly monitor SOC and RPMs.

So I drove my brother's Volt and depleted the EV miles; the ICE kicked in and I drove from Temecula to San Diego. There was a bit of regen going on because of the downhill mountainous drive; the EV motor never kicked in again and I burned about a gallon of gas but when I got to destination the number of EV miles went back up to 11 estimated miles! There's regen for you but I wonder why the electric motor didn't kick back on (cos I don't need the EV miles at destination cos I can charge at there). Is there a way of getting the electric motor to come back without restarting the system? Also, how does one select CS mode?

BTW, the car handled much better then my LEAF.

eHelmholtz said:
So I drove my brother's Volt and depleted the EV miles; the ICE kicked in and I drove from Temecula to San Diego. There was a bit of regen going on because of the downhill mountainous drive; the EV motor never kicked in again and I burned about a gallon of gas but when I got to destination the number of EV miles went back up to 11 estimated miles! There's regen for you but I wonder why the electric motor didn't kick back on (cos I don't need the EV miles at destination cos I can charge at there). Is there a way of getting the electric motor to come back without restarting the system? Also, how does one select CS mode?

BTW, the car handled much better then my LEAF.
Thanks for the update and info. Interesting point about the handling.

To be clear the electric motor is ALWAYS on!! You must have meant driving using battery only vs ICE generated electricity.

Typically driving around town (stop and go) or on a reasonably flat highway the ICE will turn off and on and you will drive on electricity. It does not count these (regen generated energy) toward EV miles but total gas miles. I drove the car from NY to IL and the ICE turned on fairly regularly. There was rolling hills on that trip and a fair amount of flat driving. The ICE runs at WOT (not max RPM but WOT) for efficiency.

scottf200 said:
To be clear the electric motor is ALWAYS on!! You must have meant driving using battery only vs ICE generated electricity.

Typically driving around town (stop and go) or on a reasonably flat highway the ICE will turn off and on and you will drive on electricity. It does not count these (regen generated energy) toward EV miles but total gas miles. I drove the car from NY to IL and the ICE turned on fairly regularly. There was rolling hills on that trip and a fair amount of flat driving. The ICE runs at WOT (not max RPM but WOT) for efficiency.
When I was driving using the EV battery, the miles left was next to a green battery; when it was depleted, the gas pump took it's place. The green battery meter never came on again until I got to destination and turned the engine off and at that point the green battery meter came on indicating that the battery had been recharged to ~11 miles or ~ 25%. My point is that I would have liked to used those 11 EV miles regenerated rather then have it at my destination where I don't need it; is there a way to force it's use?

eHelmholtz said:
scottf200 said:

When I was driving using the EV battery, the miles left was next to a green battery; when it was depleted, the gas pump took it's place. The green battery meter never came on again until I got to destination and turned the engine off and at that point the green battery meter came on indicating that the battery had been recharged to ~11 miles or ~ 25%. My point is that I would have liked to used those 11 EV miles regenerated rather then have it at my destination where I don't need it; is there a way to force it's use?
Good description. Once you deplete your battery and the 'gas pump' takes it's place it never changes the display back to the battery unless you turn the car off/on. It would be odd if it keep switching back and forth and pretty confusing to the "masses" (target customer not EV technos). BUT it DOES turn the ICE off occasionally and use the battery power only. That is what I described above that happened regularly on my trip from NY to IL. It also happens frequency in stop-n-go traffic.

The 11 EV miles 'buffer' seems pretty high to me. Perhaps the terrain you were on. That point/issue/problem does not get reported on gm-volt.com so it was perhaps your circumstance/scenerio. Try to imagine all the types of terrained roads in the world and trips the Volt could take and the scenarios they had to account for. It will typically put a "couple extra miles worth" in the battery as a buffer for upcoming hills or passing juice. Think SOC of 22% when the ICE turns on and the small buffer taking it up to say 25%.

I'm sure if you drove it on any flat ground you would have noticed the ICE shutting of regularly.

Note that often after you pull off of a highway on a long trip that folks are driving for a ways around town or to their home in the suburbs so pulling off the highway right into your final destination is not typically and you would use those EV miles ... although like I said your 11 EV mile example is out of norm and likely your scenario. Do not be confused and that as the norm that people experience.

2013 Chevy Volt Gets 38-Mile Electric Range, Higher 98-MPGe Rating
BY JOHN VOELCKER Jun 7, 2012
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1076766_2013-chevy-volt-gets-38-mile-electric-range-higher-98-mpge-rating?utm_source=GreenCarReports&utm_medium=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The new 2013 Chevrolet Volt will offer a slightly higher all-electric range, up from 35 to 38 miles. Its base price of $39,995 will not change.

Next year's Volt will also receive a higher EPA efficiency rating, from 94 to 98 MPGe, or Miles Per Gallon Equivalent--a measure of how far the vehicle can travel on electricity with the energy content of 1 gallon of gasoline.

The 2013 Volt will be fitted with a battery pack that holds slightly more energy--up from 16 to 16.5 kilowatt-hours--and the car can draw on 10.8 kWh of that total, rather than the 10.3 kWh available in 2011 and 2012 models.

The changes come courtesy of a slightly altered chemistry in the lithium-ion cells provided by LG Chem.

The revised cells have a slightly different composition of materials in their manganese-spinel chemistry, though neither company provided specific details of the changes.

2013 Chevrolet Volt Boosts EV Range to 38 Miles
Wednesday, 06 June 2012 22:34 Grant Kenney, Chevrolet VoltAge Community Manager
http://www.chevroletvoltage.com/index.php/volt-blog/18-volt/2654-whats-new-for-the-2013-chevrolet-volt.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2013MY_Volt_Fed_FE_Label1.jpg

2012 Chevrolet Volt
800px-2012_Chevrolet_Volt_EPA_window_sticker_0483.jpg

2011 Chevrolet Volt
2011-chevy-volt-epa-mpg-sticker.jpg

scottf200 said:
The 2013 Volt will be fitted with a battery pack that holds slightly more energy--up from 16 to 16.5 kilowatt-hours--and the car can draw on 10.8 kWh of that total, rather than the 10.3 kWh available in 2011 and 2012 models.
Not bad! A 3% overall capacity boost and a nearly 5% increase in useable capacity in two model years!

Back