Full 2013 Nissan LEAF Specs out

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TomT said:
There has been a problem at one of the places where I work from time to time with a PiP taking up the only L2 charger all day since they come to work very early.

Good news is that I don't suffer from that problem. Bad news is that we don't have an L2 charging station at work :)

Glad it will be resolved so you guys can share and share alike.

It's amazing how selfish and uncooperative some folks can be.

The other part of the problem could well be L2 placement in the parking lot. I've come to the conclusion the best place is a divide between two parking lot sections, NOT at the periphery of the parking lot. It's quite conceivable to arrange things such that a single L2 station could be shared by 4 parking spaces. So if Mr PiP comes along you can simply park on the opposite side of the L2 and unplug Mr Pip.

JP

evnow said:
Back to 2013 Leaf, the price was supposed to be announced today. When ?

I have my doubts that it'll be today - Nissan's press conference at NAIAS is scheduled for tomorrow morning. I would expect it no earlier than then, unless somebody gets it sooner and jumps the embargo (which won't make their "friends" at Nissan very happy). :?

mwalsh said:
evnow said:

I have my doubts that it'll be today - Nissan's press conference at NAIAS is scheduled for tomorrow morning. I would expect it no earlier than then, unless somebody gets it sooner and jumps the embargo (which won't make their "friends" at Nissan very happy). :?
It will be today - according to multiple sources including an RT by evchels.

BTW, they are revealing the new cross over tomorrow.

JPWhite said:
It's quite conceivable to arrange things such that a single L2 station could be shared by 4 parking spaces. So if Mr PiP comes along you can simply park on the opposite side of the L2 and unplug Mr Pip.
Yes, that's the arrangement we pursued in our garage. It works well. The only problem now is that we are physically running out of space, and there is no budget allocated for additional level 2 stations. We lobbied for an expansion of the level 1 charging area, which is much less expensive and easier to get approval for. It's funny to observe the day-to-day behavior. Often you see cars with sizable packs on level 1, and PiPs and Volts on level 2. I think there is still some advocacy and education work left ;-)

OrientExpress said:
evnow said:

Soon. As soon as we get the data we will publish it on SFBAYLEAFS.ORG
Has Nissan schedules a presser for this - or will they just post it at some unknown time here ...

http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/channels/us-united-states-nissan-models-leaf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

evnow said:
Has Nissan schedules a presser for this - or will they just post it at some unknown time here ...

http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/channels/us-united-states-nissan-models-leaf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2o13leafmnl

I believe that it would be beneficial to have it posted directly to MNL, much like was the case with the capacity warranty. I would expect the announcement to be made at NAIAS.

EDIT: price was just announced at NAIAS:

2013msrp

adric22 said:
$28,800 is a great price.
That puts it about $21,300 after tax incentive.

any word on the EPA range yet?

Andy Palmer told me not to expect a change to the Monroney's EPA range in the USA. But, I don't think they had the actual data on Tuesday from EPA.

I'm more interested in the SL price. I know we're expecting to it to match the 2012 SL ( ~ $38k) but I'd love confirmation. I'm on the fence right now between the fully-loaded SV or upgrading to the SL.

And it's hard to see $10k of difference between S and SL.

Jeff Kuhlman just posted it in the other thread: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=11243" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

wantonsoup said:
I'm more interested in the SL price. I know we're expecting to it to match the 2012 SL ( ~ $38k) but I'd love confirmation. I'm on the fence right now between the fully-loaded SV or upgrading to the SL.

And it's hard to see $10k of difference between S and SL.

http://insideevs.com/nissan-prices-new-leaf-s-model-at-28800-puts-plug-in-competition-on-notice/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nissan took a huge leap forward today in pricing the entry level LEAF at $28,800. That is $6,400 cheaper (about 18% less) than the most inexpensive 2012 model on sale today. With the federal incentive applied, you are talking a very enticing $21,300, and as low as $18,800 in California once their state rebate has been discounted.

Truly, being freed of the pressure from importing the car from Japan (and the yen) has meant a much more affordable car for North America.

Both the mid-grade SV and SL also got significantly cheaper at $31,820 and $34,480 respectively. As a refresher, the old SV trim level came in at $35,200, and $37,250 for the SL, a difference of only $2,050

Given the Leaf's range, I think I already know the restaurants, shops and other points of interest in the area that I can get to. I don't need help from Google.

TEG said:
http://sfbayleafs.org/news/2013/01/2013-nissan-leaf-model-overview/
... The new Google Places search function allows LEAF owners to look for area restaurants, shops and other points of interest and browse user reviews using Google’s POI database to get the most up-to-date information at all times...

I think Nissan did a good job with the 2013... especially with the new price. I am hopeful that they will see increased sales.

I think there was some talk/question about if any of the software changes on the '13 could be applied to the '11 and '12 models. I think that was also asked at the AZ meeting with Nissan and they did not say yes, but they did not say no.

So I emailed Nissan asking (and pushing them) if they could apply some of the new software features to the '11 and '12 models. A way to show how Nissan supports it's customers, and also a giveback to their early adopters. Is it really that hard to port these software changes over to the '11 and '12 base software? Features such as the State of Charge meter, the google search capability, the ECO-Route navigation routing, the improved pre-heat/pre-cool settings and any of the other small software tweaks.

I also threw in a request to improve the ipod music functionality. When I try to play music from my ipod it's very cumbersome. If I want to listen to a Artist with the first letter of 'R' for example, I have to scroll down through all my artists and that can take many minutes. Seems like the addition of a shortcut to jump to each 'letter' would be very nice and would make it much more usable.

I just got a response. Basically they said.. Nope. Not possible... not going to happen. Here is the quote:

"The updates you suggested will not be available for the older models of the LEAF because the 2011 and 2012 have completely different operating systems and were not built with the capacity of the 13's. They will simply not support the updates you are looking for.

For your Ipod issue- if you are plugging in through the USB port there is no way to change the interface to accept a different way of loading the data into the vehicle. This may be because of the interaction between the Ipod and the operating system in the vehicle or simply the way the Ipod is designed to download the information."

I am a bit disappointed with that response. I would have thought they would have allowed for more software updates. Is the 'CPU' or 'Available RAM' just too limited with the '11 and '12 models? Can anyone shed any real light if indeed the early models just can't take any new software fixes.. or if this response is not completely factual?

Just wanted to share. I had really hoped they would improve the software of the early models if it was possible to do so. That is not something that car companies normally do, but I think we can agree that the LEAF is a different type of car.

Thanks all,
Peter

prberg said:
"The updates you suggested will not be available for the older models of the LEAF because the 2011 and 2012 have completely different operating systems and were not built with the capacity of the 13's.
Very interesting! It sounds like they have given up on Windows Embedded Automotive, and switched to something else. I wonder what?

If that is true,
  • All sorts of things are likely to behave differently on the 2013's. Maybe a number of our user interface complaints will go away.
  • I would have to agree that there is no way that any of the enhancements would be ported to the the older cars.

However it is also possible that they switched operating systems for the central console (the AV Control Unit) but not for the dash (the Combination Meter). If so, they might be able to retrofit the State of Charge meter you asked for, but not any of the other things.

Ray

Back