Full 2013 Nissan LEAF Specs out

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if the dealer cannot make a buck, they will steer the buyer to something else that is more profitable.. the issue is dealer profit, perhaps ignorance in some cases.

Herm said:
if the dealer cannot make a buck, they will steer the buyer to something else that is more profitable.. the issue is dealer profit, perhaps ignorance in some cases.
Agreed. This is a real issue and it is a part of the EV revolution that Nissan needs to figure out how to resolve.

RegGuheert said:
Welcome, jtunkel!
jtunkel said:
Surely its a simple matter for the software to query what car its running on and report only pertinent info.
Agreed! But my observation as a LEAF owner is that user-facing software is not Nissan's strong point! (I have fewer complaints with embedded vehicle software, but there are still some issues.

Well, if they can't get this right they need a new software and/or UI team... this is basic.

Thanks to everyone that attended one or more of the 2013 LEAF sneak previews that SF BayLEAFs hosted in Sebastopol, San Francisco, and San Jose. We had great turnouts at each event, and we hope that you are as excited about the 2013 American-Made LEAF as we are. For those of you that were not able to attend, I have posted the presentation detailing the 2013 specifications here.

leafsneak.jpg

Pricing for the 2013 LEAF will be released on Monday January 14th.

Nissan QC dealer deployment will also be formally rolled out this week. This is the QC deployment that was announced NPID in San Francisco last September. The first of these QCs will be operational next week at the Santa Rosa CA. dealership, and rollout in all major LEAF markets will continue this quarter. The QCs will be available to anyone with any car needing a charge, and the goal is to have them available 24/7. Stay tuned for more information on this.

The car we had to show was a late Production/Test fully loaded SL model which was brought in from the Nissan Arizona Proving Ground. This car was shown in Phoenix last Tuesday before it was shipped to California.

OrientExpress said:
Thanks to everyone that attended one or more of the 2013 LEAF sneak previews that SF BayLEAFs hosted in Sebastopol, San Francisco, and San Jose. We had great turnouts at each event, and we hope that you are as excited about the 2013 American-Made LEAF as we are. For those of you that were not able to attend, I have posted the presentation detailing the 2013 specifications here.
Thanks for the slides!

It appears the heat pump improves range from about -10C to about 20C. I wonder why peak range occurs at 15C instead of 25 C, considering the test was conducted with the climate control set to 25C. (Note the range testing is still done on LA4.)

DoxyLover said:
One more thing. Tim announced that within a fairly short period of time (sorry, I don't remember the time frame he mentioned), Nissan would be installing public-access DCQC stations at "a majority of Nissan dealers in the area". He said that he expects that most of them will be available 24/7 and most of them will be free!

Frankly, I think this was the biggest thing that was announced today!
If true, soon, and universal, that would change everything. Definitely would be the biggest news.

DoxyLover said:
KeiJidosha said:
If true, soon, and universal, that would change everything. Definitely would be the biggest news.
Absolutely! In our area, level 2 chargers are now frequently occupied by plugin hybrids. Getting quick chargers deployed in significant numbers would let a pure EV like the LEAF really shine, and it would let it appear as a step up for any Plugin Prius or Volt driver.

OrientExpress said:
It appears the heat pump improves range from about -10C to about 20C.

The heat pump is only effective to down -6C, after that the resistive heat exchanger come on.
Which will be perfectly fine for temperate climate areas like the Bay Area, where the TV weather people start clucking like chickens on the rare occasions (like now) when nighttime lows will be below freezing - it will provide a very useful range increase (or as Tony says, less of a range decrease) while using heat (and defrost?). For those in non-temperate climates, the car still needs a TMS that will heat the battery as well as cool it, so that range doesn't take too much of a hit. That will have to wait for the re-design.

DoxyLover said:
One more thing. Tim announced that within a fairly short period of time (sorry, I don't remember the time frame he mentioned), Nissan would be installing public-access DCQC stations at "a majority of Nissan dealers in the area". He said that he expects that most of them will be available 24/7 and most of them will be free!

Awesome. I hope it's not just "the area" but everywhere.

KeiJidosha said:

I agree that universal QC is a game changer. Range is magically extended when we need the boost. If installed at dealers, they can police the parking spaces better than Cracker Barrel can. If the QC status/availability is also available via carwings/nav system that would be even better.

OrientExpress said:
It appears the heat pump improves range from about -10C to about 20C.

The heat pump is only effective to down -6C, after that the resistive heat exchanger come on.
The resistive heater may come on at -6C, but the heat pump is still effective down to -15C according to the slides you posted.

Great news on the QC installations at dealerships! :D

I don't think Nissan will regret making this investment in LEAF infrastructure. Looking forward to seeing where they'll be installed in Southern California! If Nissan is reading this, please consider putting a QC in Fontana, San Bernardino, and/or Redlands, to enable travel to the mountain and desert resorts. :mrgreen:

TomT said:
I wonder if that means that it already had range degradation? :lol:

Yeah kinda like pre-washed Jeans. Who wants to drive around with a pristine pack out in public? Could be sold as distressed by design. :ugeek:

There has been a problem at one of the places where I work from time to time with a PiP taking up the only L2 charger all day since they come to work very early. There is signage there that you can only occupy the spot while actively charging but this person has ignored it despite repeated warnings. Friday they had the car towed so I suspect this one particular problem is now over for good...

surfingslovak said:
Absolutely! In our area, level 2 chargers are now frequently occupied by plugin hybrids. Getting quick chargers deployed in significant numbers would let a pure EV like the LEAF really shine, and it would let it appear as a step up for any Plugin Prius or Volt driver.

Back