Full 2013 Nissan LEAF Specs out

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KJD said:
It was very interesting to see that most of the Tesla buyers were going for the largest pack size in spite of the higher cost.
It wasn't by choice. That was the only Model S offered initially. I still don't know that they are producing and selling the smallest pack.

LEAFguy said:
KJD said:
most of the Tesla buyers were going for the largest pack size
It wasn't by choice. That was the only Model S offered initially. I still don't know that they are producing and selling the smallest pack.
Indeed, I believe Tesla hasn't started producing 60 kWh models, let alone those with the 40 kWh pack.

With regard to the thread's original topic, I'm very psyched about the 2013 changes. I'll be in a cool climate (Seattle) so the status quo on thermal management is fine with me. The black leather looks fabulous in the high res press shots on nissannews.com. Metallic Slate with the 17" wheels also looks very tasty. Finally, we not only got the JDM heat pump but also got 6 kW charging.

All this said, I still plan on leasing, even if the new lease deals only mean price parity with buying rather than being the huge savings as for the end of year 2012s.

abasile said:
On a minor note, I like that the 2011 model has a switch to disable the noisemaker ("pedestrian alert"). Late at night in quiet residential areas, it can be desirable to turn off the reverse beep. You just have to make sure not to back into anyone walking around...

I have to admit I really like this as well; it's a shame they regulated this into extinction.

Anyone else notice that the 17" tires are a decent amount larger? 25.4" vs 24.9". They do fill out the wheel wells a bit better, but will be heavier and combined with the slightly larger size will probably affect performance a bit.

Are there any details on the aerodynamic improvements?

I couldn't spot any except that maybe the door handles are flush mounted? Hard to tell from the pics I've seen.

shikataganai said:
LEAFguy said:
I still don't know that they are producing and selling the smallest pack.
Indeed, I believe Tesla hasn't started producing 60 kWh models, let alone those with the 40 kWh pack.
I guess you don't follow me on twitter ;-)

Yeasterday someone got a VIN for their 60 kWh model.

TonyWilliams said:
Those tires (well, the MXM, not MXV) didn't get significantly less range on my 2012 LEAF.
Has to add 50 pounds and adding 50 pounds has to negatively impact range. I'd be OK with that though, hardly a big deal.

SanDust said:
TonyWilliams said:
Those tires (well, the MXM, not MXV) didn't get significantly less range on my 2012 LEAF.
Has to add 50 pounds and adding 50 pounds has to negatively impact range. I'd be OK with that though, hardly a big deal.
50 pounds is about 1.5% of overall weight. So it will probably take out less than 1% of the range.

evnow said:
SanDust said:
TonyWilliams said:
50 pounds is about 1.5% of overall weight. So it will probably take out less than 1% of the range.

Sure, I'd agree it's 1%-3% loss. It doesn't help, that's for sure. Until the tires had a few hundred miles on them, it was closer to 3% loss than 1%. But, they did get better.

I ran the max 50psi in them (per the tire spec) with Michelin MXM4, 215R45-17, 45,000 mile warranty on stock Nissan JUKE wheels 7x17.

I thought I saw that the entire 2013 was 170lbs lighter! Overall its kind of a mehhh upgrade for someone who already has a LEAF. The real question is will these changes and option levels attract new buyers? The price/profitability aspect seems to be the real story for the 2013 model. Time will tell but the LEAF needs some EV model reinforcements. I feel that until Nissan does something VERY bold in the Performance direction or the Range direction, not much will change. Tesla went bold on their second swing and got COTY!

I see there is better aerodynamics in the 2013. But it looks so similar, I can't tell any difference in chassis. Is there any shape change or this better aerodynamics is achieved strictly due to relocation of weight e.g moving the charger to the front?

mwalsh said:
Ingineer said:
GetOffYourGas said:
If nothing else, the 10kW is a little misleading. Where is one going to find 277V? Then again, where is one going to find 250V? In the US, it's nominally 240V, although I've measured about 235V at my house when installing my EVSE.
277v is very common for commercial buildings where it's used extensively for lighting.

-Phil

Yup. I can give you 277v within a minute of you arriving at my office! :D

Very interesting!

And thanks for the offer, but my car prefers to drink 240V ;)

Most of you have to be OCD and just as bad as anyone that hasn't bought am EV because of range anxiety. I drive 60 miles every day. Twice the average and I have never once used more then 120v. Its like you just need more juice to feel better. You guys know the car doesn't go fast if you have a full charge right?

jackal said:
I see there is better aerodynamics in the 2013. But it looks so similar, I can't tell any difference in chassis. Is there any shape change or this better aerodynamics is achieved strictly due to relocation of weight e.g moving the charger to the front?
Minor tweaks to underbody covers, etc. Likely a rounding issue involved as well. In any event, not enough to offer a dramatic aural or energy use improvement. Moving the weight around will impact weight distribution, but those types of changes don't impact Cd. In fact, moving weight forward in a front drive car is the opposite of what one would really want if looking to improve handling.

wheelspin said:
Most of you have to be OCD and just as bad as anyone that hasn't bought am EV because of range anxiety. I drive 60 miles every day. Twice the average and I have never once used more then 120v. Its like you just need more juice to feel better. You guys know the car doesn't go fast if you have a full charge right?
Everyone's life is different. People who try to maximize the use of Leaf and take it everywhere will appreciate the faster charger. This is for during the day charging. There are some who want to use it to maximize their peak time charging.

evnow said:
wheelspin said:
Everyone's life is different. People who try to maximize the use of Leaf and take it everywhere will appreciate the faster charger. This is for during the day charging. There are some who want to use it to maximize their peak time charging.
Absolutely! It's not uncommon for me to return home with the low battery warning and then turn around and go someplace else with the family. Faster home charging makes this easier.

On another note, I also hope that Nissan offers larger battery options in the future. We are happy with the size of the LEAF and would rather not have to drive a luxury car to get more range. (Not that I wouldn't like to have a Tesla, but...)

Back