Full 2013 Nissan LEAF Specs out

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
garygid said:
This is what I think causes the 110v spec.
Although we had 110v + /- 10%, we now have roughly 120v + 0% / -20%
to help reduce the current flowing in the power lines, but
the Japanese tend to see them as the same, and design for the first.
(or something like that)

As a boy learned it as "110" from my dad, who was born in the 1920s. It took a lot of hammering on me before I began thinking of it as "120".

SV + QC would work for me.

Not clear whether SV comes with rearview monitor or not. If it doesn't, we have to buy premium package to get around view. Nothing in SL interests me, otherwise.

HomeLink only available with the SL? Seems that should just be an option on all trims. I have grown to really like that feature on both my Prius and Leaf.

Specs say parking brake now manual foot pedal on all models. One feature where they went backwards. I really like the original electrical parking brake with its ultra-capacitor, but I suppose it was expensive. My understanding is that whatever was behind the rear seat has been moved. Is there now more space in the rear trunk?

According to Nissan LEAF Chat (just now, although the info they have may not be complete), the 2013 charging options (both level 2 and 3) that you select upon purchase are NOT upgradeable by a dealer, and upgrading by a third party voids any remaining warranty in this regard.

So if you anticipate needing a 6.6 kW and/or fast DC charger in the future, you need to select those options with your initial 2013 Leaf purchase and not expect they will be upgradeable later.

IBELEAF said:
Oh and it looks like they reduced torque from 208 to 187 lb-ft. Is that how they would achieve better economy?

As far as colors, I really like that they introduced gray. I submitted a few suggestions about wanting that color as an option and glad to see it being available.

Torque was reduced in the 2012, and the difference is noticeable.

tbleakne said:
Specs say parking brake now manual foot pedal on all models. One feature where they went backwards. I really like the original electrical parking brake with its ultra-capacitor, but I suppose it was expensive. My understanding is that whatever was behind the rear seat has been moved. Is there now more space in the rear trunk?

There are no ultra-capacitors on the parking brake.

in allotta ways, I am happier with the 2011 -- better torque is just one example.
i would get an electric steering wheel.
but even that is not a huge gripe as i live in coastal LA where heat is an issue maybe 20 days of the year, especially as i dont commute until after 9 am.

tbleakne said:

Yes, it's about 1 cu.ft. more.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Are the interior color options specified anywhere? Or is it Henry Ford style, any color you want as long as it's black?

edit:Two interior colors are offered: new Black (S, SV, SL) or Light Gray (SV only)
Does that mean that the leather only comes in black? Since you say Light Gray is only available on SV, and leather is only available on SL?

I would only want the leather if it was available in the light color. I've also grown to like my cloth interior although I would definitely have ordered leather if available in 2011. I still don't like getting shocked every time I get out of the car in the winter though.

LEAFfan said:
tbleakne said:

Yes, it's about 1 cu.ft. more.
I personally prefer this because the existing parking brake is only that - a parking brake. It has zero value as an emergency brake since it won't let you engage while in motion (at least not for more than a fraction of a second).

I had thought I would be excited about the 2013 model, but now that the specs are out, I don't see any compelling reasons to upgrade from 2011.

I wasn't aware until today that they reduced the torque in 2012. That just seems like a downgrade. I doubt it improves range all that much when a driver is trying to drive efficiently anyway.

The trunk space is only 1 cu.ft. better.

The bigger wheels, leather, sound system, and Around View are all nice, but I'm sure that SL is going to be around $40k.

The only big thing is the 6.6kw charger, but I've come to learn that this would not impact my life much at all. If I drove a lot more, this would be compelling.

I've also found that the quick charge port is not worth a damn to me. If that was an option on the SL, I'd drop it.

Heated seats are standard on all trims? That's silly, as I would have no need for that here in SoCal. Maybe I would want it if I had leather.

LEAFfan said:
IBELEAF said:
Oh and it looks like they reduced torque from 208 to 187 lb-ft. Is that how they would achieve better economy?

As far as colors, I really like that they introduced gray. I submitted a few suggestions about wanting that color as an option and glad to see it being available.

I didn't know that (I have a 2011,... fortunately). IMO that is a mistake. The off-the-line torque is one place EVs do very well and they should take advantage of that. If fact I think they should look into going the OTHER way,... increasing it and using it as a selling point.

SuperBlack said:
I've also found that the quick charge port is not worth a damn to me. If that was an option on the SL, I'd drop it.

Heated seats are standard on all trims? That's silly, as I would have no need for that here in SoCal. Maybe I would want it if I had leather.

Ditto: I never wanted a QC port (never wanted to push the battery pack), so didn't spend the $$ on an SL trim; and, I still don't see where EVERYONE needs heated steering+seats, but I would have hardly ever used it in TX.

My question is how much power the halogen headlights use. I commute in the dark (early am) so I will use lights every day. Will the power use really be worth the extra cost?

The person that has a 2012 and told me that said he thinks it's to help the BP to not degrade as much due to the rabbit starts.

TickTock said:
I personally prefer this because the existing parking brake is only that - a parking brake. It has zero value as an emergency brake since it won't let you engage while in motion (at least not for more than a fraction of a second).
Sure it will. You just need to hold the handle up. It's covered in the manual.

But I agree: I'd rather have a foot brake and a bigger trunk.

FYI: The new upgraded charger is 6.0kW not 6.6kW. Just like the old one is 3.3kW not 3.84kW (what it draws). We specify the power by what it delivers, not what it consumes.

-Phil

LEAFfan said:
IBELEAF said:
Oh and it looks like they reduced torque from 208 to 187 lb-ft...

Are you sure about that? I still see 207 listed various places (associated with 2012) even on their web site:
207torque.jpg

207torque2.jpg

207torque3.jpg

Back