February orders - any open yet? and reservation date spread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wonder what Nissan does when they open up a dash for order and the customer never responds?
At what point do they abandon the reservation?

How long will it take nissan to work thru these orders and what will they do in April and may with no dashboards to open?

it wil be before september, if you figure that they start building 2012 in sept or oct

any order accepted june or july will prob be a 2012 produced

i would expect sometime after all the eligible tier 1 orders have been processed:

1 an announcment of the 2012 msrp and options features is likely to come in may june or july 2 followed by the commencment of orders for tier 2 and maybe a new reservation period for tier 1

As a further note, that might ONLY refer to all the Reservations in already-open areas, NOT including the reservations in still-closed (or forgotten, or too-cold) areas.

It is unlikely that Nissan would quit selling in San Diego because of one Resrvation in Fargo, or Fairbanks (or some such place).

They could continue to dole out in bound 2011's to tier 1 area's and dealers

while accepting orders from tier 2 for 2012's to be produced september and later and delivered december 2011/spring 2012 and on

no need to stop selling in tier 1 as long as cars are rolling off the line!

I do think Nissan should continue selling car in Tier 1 states, then Tier 2 states, but Nissan should also accept Reservations for the "Forgotten 36" states, as well. I don't think us in these states expect to see a LEAF anytime soon, if not till 2012, but I am hoping that I can at least have one on Reserve and 'calm' my anxiety down just a tad. Knowing that I have one on Reservation will be soo much better than waiting to Reserve in late 2011/ early 2012. I don't see why Nissan couldn't accept Reservations from "Forgotten 36" states in March/April (whenever they process their reservations/orders), while cranking the cars out in Tier 1 and 2 states too. :D

Possible Answer?:
Their present Reservation/Order system is FULL of bugs, and they want to get a proper system working, and then take the new Reservations on the new system?

How would I find out my order sequence number? I live in Los Angeles county. I made a reservation for a pearl white LEAF SL-E on 9/8/2010 and had home assessment (order#14,nnn) completed on 9/10/10. I read a note that I would be able to place an order sometimes in February.

petfans, I would guess that your dashboard will open around the middle of nextweek. Probably wednesday. As orders open up this week and people report that their dashboard has opened with their reservation date indicated, you will be in an even better position to narrow the date yours will open.

garygid said:
As a further note, that might ONLY refer to all the Reservations in already-open areas, NOT including the reservations in still-closed (or forgotten, or too-cold) areas.

It is unlikely that Nissan would quit selling in San Diego because of one Resrvation in Fargo, or Fairbanks (or some such place).

nissan said:
to date, 20,000 people have already reserved a Nissan LEAF - a number that has exceeded our expectations.

we have completed the first phase of reservations. in order to provide the best level of customer service and premium ownership experience to the first Nissan LEAF drivers, we will not be accepting new reservations until the next phase begins. a subsequent phase of new reservations will begin this year after current reservations and orders have been processed.

Their statement refers to the total national number of reservations; the statement as a whole applies to those reservations. You can arbitrarily believe that it applies only to phase one if you want, or I can arbitrarily believe that it applies only to leafs with a 7 as the final digit of the VIN - but the statement is clear and unambiguous, so applying some limitation that is different from the clear, unambiguous original statement is effectively stating that they are lying.

Which, hey, maybe they are. I dunno. But what they said is quite clear.

Perhaps you are assuming that being "processed" is a good thing? :D

But, maybe you will get to Order, for delivery in summer 2012 (+/- 12 months), who knows?

Or, "processed" could mean that your Reservation is successfully moved into the "new" Reservation system?

stanley said:
petfans, I would guess that your dashboard will open around the middle of nextweek. Probably wednesday. As orders open up this week and people report that their dashboard has opened with their reservation date indicated, you will be in an even better position to narrow the date yours will open.

I'm excited and looking forward to an email invitation from Nissan (hopefully) next week to access an order dashboard. Since the yellow HOV stickers on my 2006 Prius are to be expired on June 1, 2011, I'm interested in the white HOV stickers for the Leaf. Have any current Leaf owners applied or received the white stickers yet? By the way, when I get an opportunity to submit a RAQ, will I be able to send RAQ to more than one dealer? Thanks in advance for all your responses.

garygid said:
Only allowed to RAQ from ONE dealer at a time.

BEST by FAR to call dealers and negotiate your deal FIRST, then RAQ that dealer.

Thanks to Garygid and Stanley who PMed me for the advice. I have already contacted a fleet director who would discount $1k off MSRP. I'll just need to speak to a couple more fleet managers from dealers closer to home and then make a final decision. You all have been very helpful.

Subject: February orders - any open yet? and reservation date spread

petfans said:
How would I find out my order sequence number?
Nissan doesn't disclose that number.
I made a reservation for a pearl white LEAF SL-E on 9/8/2010 and had home assessment (order#14,nnn) completed on 9/10/10. I read a note that I would be able to place an order sometimes in February.
An email message from Nissan, right? Not a posting on this forum?

Based on press reports where Nissan did say how many reservations they had at particular times, one can estimate the reservation sequence. Then based on past history when they have opened up RAQs for a month one can estimate when your dashboard will open. Based on your 9/10/10 reservation date I estimate yours is the 19.338th reservation and you can RAQ on 2/25/11.

However, that figured that the two February dashboards reported open in this thread meant that they would open the floodgates this week. They've generally done that on Tuesday, and here Wednesday is past without a report of a third February RAQ. So the whole thing may slip by another week.

Back