DFW Metroplex

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To me, the mitsubishi i (why the changed it to just "i" here in the US, don't know) isn't really worth it (just as I feel the PIP isn't worth it either). The i gets an EPA 62 versus the leaf's 73. Thats a large difference in range, especially as we know the leaf can hit into the 60's on a cold day. The i is only about 3k cheaper @ about 30k retail. Its smaller and doesn't have the cool gizmos that the leaf has for 3k more.

I guess the reason you would buy an i would be because of cost (3k could mean alot of some people) and the efficiency. Besides the Tesla Roadster, the i has the best efficiency from any car to date (112 combined MPGe, leaf is 99 and roadster is 121). So if you really want to be as green/efficient as possible the i is better, but I find it hard to loose 11 miles of range with a smaller car and less gizmos for 3k less. It may work for some, but not for me.

Mitsu is selling an iMiEV for some time already and they not building a lot of them, for me beside everything what you mentioned is also about service, support and parts.

If others in the area use Waze (crowd sourcing navigation app seen on WFAA's travel reports), I just created a Waze group called "DFW Leafs". Join up so we can stalk each other.

Here is a link to the iPhone app, don't know about Android...

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/waze-social-gps-traffic/id323229106?mt=8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

P.S. I got the PM. See you tomorrow.

Twin Leafs feeding at Twin Peaks, Central & Park in Plano, TX. mkjayakumar and I got together for lunch.

We had lots of gawkers and "I've never seen one of those being used" comments. Well, now they've seen them both being used. Nissan should pay us to stand by our cars at charging stations and evangelize.

IMG_0306.jpg

IMG_0307.jpg

Cheezmo said:
Twin Leafs feeding at Twin Peaks, Central & Park in Plano, TX. mkjayakumar and I got together for lunch.
Very nice.. I need to get together with some of the Tarrant County Leafers sometime...

Surprisingly I got over 30 miles of range in the hour and half we were there.. Food was good. Ladies even better.

Steve: You should put in your comments about comparing Versa to Leaf in the article below.

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-autos-ford-focus-20120426,0,7766653.story#tugs_story_display" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pipcecil said:
Oh, almost forgot.

I saw another leaf on friday and was trying to figure out who it was. Silver Leaf with Leafer licenses plate driving west of IH 20 around 5:30-6pm (near SH 360). They were in the left lane and passed us by sitting in a slower lane. Unfortunately we were in my wife's audi TT since the leaf didn't have the time to charge to go from midlothian to arlington for dinner.

That's dpfeif. He uses the plate as his Avatar.

I was surprised too. We started at 50%, and I think it hit my 80% cutoff just before we left.

mkjayakumar said:
Surprisingly I got over 30 miles of range in the hour and half we were there.. Food was good. Ladies even better.

Steve: You should put in your comments about comparing Versa to Leaf in the article below.

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-autos-ford-focus-20120426,0,7766653.story#tugs_story_display" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I got some more preliminary news on the TXU chargers at the Dallas City Hall and at the McKinney Library. Aerovironment & TXU have finally gotten their act together and have gotten key fobs for access to these stations. There should be a 800 number to call soon that will be set up for the DFW Aerovironment system soon, which should be available in the next week or so. You can still contact AV on their main line and eventually get to DFW group (if they have separate groups, I don't know) and they will initiate you into their system and send you a key fob. For those that use eVgo, the online login system to AV that shows the public chargers, etc. is the same system so it will look familiar (unfortuntely they are still separate, so I have to log into eVgo and TXU system separately to view their public EVSEs). After AV put the fob in the mail they sent me the information signing me up in their system.

I updated the DFW charging map to reflect the new charging system in DFW. I used teal for the TXU chargers and they currently have three locations: Dallas City Hall (2 Level 2), McKinney Library (1 Level 2), and TXU offices in Irving (1 Level 2).

This brings the total charging systems in DFW up to 4: Blink, ChargePoint, eVgo, and TXU. There are still many independent places (like car dealerships). In addition there are 3 GE stations in DFW, all free and don't require any card access, so, for those, I am still leaving them as independent until GE changes this to a card access system (if they ever do).

Pipcecil said:
I got some more preliminary news on the TXU chargers at the Dallas City Hall and at the McKinney Library. Aerovironment & TXU have finally gotten their act together and have gotten key fobs for access to these stations. There should be a 800 number to call soon that will be set up for the DFW Aerovironment system soon, which should be available in the next week or so. You can still contact AV on their main line and eventually get to DFW group (if they have separate groups, I don't know) and they will initiate you into their system and send you a key fob.

What about the 800# that's on the chargers (downtown Dallas) now? Not only could they not remote-activate the charger for me to use, but I never received the key fob (or email or anything) that the guy on the phone took my info for. Makes me wonder if I had an incompetent customer service guy or if the system is just broke; doesn't make a very good impression on potential customers.

Pipcecil said:
I updated the DFW charging map to reflect the new charging system in DFW. I used teal for the TXU chargers and they currently have three locations: Dallas City Hall (2 Level 2), McKinney Library (1 Level 2), and TXU offices in Irving (1 Level 2).

What "DFW charging map"?

I was just told by my evGo rep that the DeSoto and Arlington Level 3 chargers went online "a few minute ago".

So, 3 now in the Metroplex and that Arlington one will be awesome for Dallas -> Ft. Worth trips.

Cheezmo said:
I was just told by my evGo rep that the DeSoto and Arlington Level 3 chargers went online "a few minute ago".

So, 3 now in the Metroplex and that Arlington one will be awesome for Dallas -> Ft. Worth trips.

Where is the Arlington QC?

According to evGo rep, there are now 5 QC stations active in the Metroplex...

Beltine & Tollway – Walgreens

Collins – Walgreens (next to Cowboys stadium)

Cracker Barrel – DeSoto (i35)

Cracker Barrel – Fort Worth/Burleson (South Fort Worth on i35)

Cracker Barrel – 360 & I-30 (Arlington)

Pretty exciting!

I think a trip to Stephenville is now a piece of cake with the Fort Worth/Burleson station.

I am planning a tour on Thursday maybe (now that there are 5 I many not have time)!

Cheezmo said:
I think a trip to Stephenville is now a piece of cake with the Fort Worth/Burleson station.

I am planning a tour on Thursday maybe (now that there are 5 I many not have time)!
Maybe you could come pick me up on the way to Burleson. I'd love to see a quick-charge taking place. You can find me on plugshare, I'm the lone charger in the city of Kennedale right near 287 and Sublett rd.

Back