DFW Metroplex

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
vrwl said:
LEAFer said:
I am not 100% on this, and I might be confusing this with ChargePoint cards, but FWIW ... Blink may be (or may have previously had a policy to) tracking the cards it sends out by request, and link them to a name & address they were sent to. This may not matter much to some. But if/when you activate and (maybe later) add a credit card to them ... this could make a difference. YMMV. Check it out.

I'll try to give them a call and see if they track the cards like that.

OK, I called Blink Customer Service and she verified that even though we specifically requested the card, the cards are not associated with any account until they are activated. She also checked "Member #" on this card and said it's clear, and it's not associated with any account, so I should be able to give it away to anyone who wants it.

So again, I've got an extra, unregistered Blink card that we'd love to give away to someone who doesn't have one.... any takers?

vrwl said:
OK, I called Blink Customer Service and she verified that even though we specifically requested the card, the cards are not associated with any account until they are activated. She also checked "Member #" on this card and said it's clear, and it's not associated with any account, so I should be able to give it away to anyone who wants it.

So again, I've got an extra, unregistered Blink card that we'd love to give away to someone who doesn't have one.... any takers?
Great to know ... thanks. :)

I've ordered two blink cards myself. THe most recent of which was for our new Volt. It only took about 4 days for it to arrive. I think the problems of getting cards is a thing of the past.

Does anyone in the DFW area have a Gidometer who would be willing to help me get a baseline reading for my car? I just got the car a couple of weeks ago with only 89 miles on it, so I'm wondering whether the months of it sitting in parking lots (dealers, Hertz rental) charged up and ready to go has caused any detectable damage yet. Regardless, it would be nice to know WHERE I'm starting at with the battery capacity so I'll know how much it declines when it happens. Anyway, thanks in advance if you're willing to help. :)

Stanton said:
vrwl said:
I called the 877-338-3470 phone number posted on the TXU unit to see about getting a key fob, but the guy who answered the phone wasn't quite sure with his answers. First he said that yes, this was the phone number to call to request a key fob. Then he put me on hold a several times and finally came back and told me I had to call a different phone number. So I wrote the number down and tried calling it after I hung up with TXU. The phone number he gave me was for eVgo! I think whoever he was talking to when he had me on hold gave him some bad info.

After my first attempt at getting a fob failed miserably (back in May), I just called the 877# again. Whoever answered the phone was actually from AE (not TXU) and sounded like he knew what he was doing. He took my mailing/contact info and said I would receive a fob in the mail soon (days? weeks?); the whole thing took less than 5 minutes (which was quite a contrast to my failed attempt to even get a charge in May). I'll post back if/when I get my fob.

Finally got my fob AND my account is setup/active (after a couple more phone calls). Now all I need to do is drive downtown (Dallas) and actually try using the thing. They sent my fob via UPS from the West coast; seems like an expensive way to acquire a customer.

I have added two chargers to plugshare recently in our area. Both were at different Kohl's locations. There may be others but I'm not sure which Kohl's stores have them and which don't. Apparently they've had them for quite some time but nobody added them to the map. I wonder how many other chargers are out there that haven't been added?

adric22 said:
I have added two chargers to plugshare recently in our area. Both were at different Kohl's locations. There may be others but I'm not sure which Kohl's stores have them and which don't. Apparently they've had them for quite some time but nobody added them to the map. I wonder how many other chargers are out there that haven't been added?

Are they Blink chargers or Chargepoint or some other brand? (do we need to get a different fob to access them?)

This might be an interesting meeting to attend:

http://www.nctcog.org/trans/committees/rtc/2012/07July/Ref.Itm_2.5.rtc071212.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Purpose of Meeting: The Center for the Commercialization of Electric Technologies (CCET), in cooperation with the North Central Texas Council of Governments (NCTCOG), will hold a meeting to receive comments from stakeholders and the general public on its draft report “Texas Triangle Plug-In Electric Vehicle (PEV) Readiness Plan” (Plan).

About the Plan: The Plan, funded by the DOE Clean Cities’ Initiative, looks at barriers to PEV readiness in the medium-size and small towns outside of the large metro areas and at statewide issues and opportunities. The Plan focuses on the interlinking travel corridors between the five largest cities in Texas and leverages the cooperative efforts of stakeholders in three large metro areas (DFW, Austin/San Antonio, and Houston). Example topics include:
- How can nationally recognized local “best practices” be promoted in small and mid-sized cities in the Texas Triangle?
- What is the best way to inform Texas consumers of PEV benefits and costs in a non-biased, upto-date, technically sound, and easily-understood manner?
- How might the various regional efforts be augmented by a statewide entity that promotes and anticipates PEV issues and opportunities?

Comment Process: The meeting will be your chance to address specific concerns, questions, and recommendations including identification of errors and omissions in the Plan. Each commenter will have 5 to 15 minutes of meeting time for comments. CCET’s Project Director and the Principal Investigator will be present to respond to questions.

Stanton said:
Stanton said:
vrwl said:
I called the 877-338-3470 phone number posted on the TXU unit to see about getting a key fob, but the guy who answered the phone wasn't quite sure with his answers. First he said that yes, this was the phone number to call to request a key fob. Then he put me on hold a several times and finally came back and told me I had to call a different phone number. So I wrote the number down and tried calling it after I hung up with TXU. The phone number he gave me was for eVgo! I think whoever he was talking to when he had me on hold gave him some bad info.

After my first attempt at getting a fob failed miserably (back in May), I just called the 877# again. Whoever answered the phone was actually from AE (not TXU) and sounded like he knew what he was doing. He took my mailing/contact info and said I would receive a fob in the mail soon (days? weeks?); the whole thing took less than 5 minutes (which was quite a contrast to my failed attempt to even get a charge in May). I'll post back if/when I get my fob.

Finally got my fob AND my account is setup/active (after a couple more phone calls). Now all I need to do is drive downtown (Dallas) and actually try using the thing. They sent my fob via UPS from the West coast; seems like an expensive way to acquire a customer.

Final report: success! I was able to activate charging at the downtown Dallas units by City Hall. Didn't charge long because it was so hot (7TB), but it definitely works. I'll probably make a trip down to the Farmer's Market in the Fall (when it's cooler) and do a L2 charge while I shop.

Stanton said:
Final report: success! I was able to activate charging at the downtown Dallas units by City Hall. Didn't charge long because it was so hot (7TB), but it definitely works. I'll probably make a trip down to the Farmer's Market in the Fall (when it's cooler) and do a L2 charge while I shop.

Glad to hear it. I need to call and try to get the fob as well, since the library site is a good one for when I may be over on that side of town in McKinney. The biggest issue there is the ICE cars using the EV spots.

I was there at the CCET public meeting (my work actually hosted it so I was lucky!) on Friday. On the unfortunate side, the report that was supposed to be finished with a draft on thursday had not been completed (they were given an extension), but they did point out some of their preliminary findings, which were mostly goals for plug-in adoption. I commented the most out of everyone there and think I made some good valid points.

Here is a quick summary of what they highlighted:

- The report mostly focused on PEV adoption
- Focused a lot of integration with the Utilities and off-peak charging and encouraging utilities to offer off-peak rates
- Potential solutions to spur PEV adoption from cash back incentives and drive events
- Suggestions to establish commuinity PEV groups of ethusiast, elected officals, and stakeholders to work on active promotion of PEVs as well as other aspects (such as emergency response training)
- Create a 4 year gov agency to help funnel and organize all the imformation and data to give unbiased facts on all PEVs via website
- Start a program for PEV friendly communities that meet certain criteria so visiting people with PEVs can know which cities are great to go to and where to find stuff such as public chargers.
- A study was conducted with various monetary scenarios for electricfying IH 35 from DFW to San Antonio, IH 10 from San Antonio to Houston and IH 45 from Houston to DFW (unfortunately detailed info wasn't available on this part - only that the most likely scenario saw 5 years to reach a basic standard of charges - level 2 and DC fast along the texas triangle).

I did bring up some issues that I thought were relevant:

- solving the issue of public ICEing of chargers - potentially a point of solution for the community PEV group as a task for getting the PEV friendly community.
- updating DMV and other regulatory systems to help track PEVs for utilities. Currently DMV has the leaf as a gas vehicle and DPS inspections can only choose between gas and diesel (by how our checks would run, we would need to be classified as diesel).
- Vehicle 2 Grid is a bad idea, could remove posibilities of safety problems (vehicle without fuel!) and would accelerate the loss of battery (more cycles).
- strongly encourage all utilities, even those not with ERCOT to offer off-peak options
- supported the initiative to get people to buy PEVs and get over (sometimes incorrect) assumptions with driving times in PEVs

Also, I got to speak with Dave from Blink who is the main rep here in DFW for charger installation, and the time/money for public EVSEs is about to expire. They will be pulling out by December. So probably after December we won't be seeing any more public EVSE installations with Blink. I don't know if thats only with the gov funding and individuals can still pay for it (similar to chargepoint), but I don't expect much more expansion after that. It seems that eVgo is accelerating their expansion so I will bet more of those will come online. The TXU program seems to be going slow, and chargepoint only seems to install a one or two every 3 or 4 months. So no more rapid installations anymore...awww.

Since I was in the area, I went by the Fairview Town Hall (near Stacy Rd & Hwy 5) to see their brand new charging stations. They are Blink chargers and they're on the north side of the building. It's very close to shopping, food and entertainment, so you could potentially have something to do while you charge up. The spaces are well marked for EV only, so hopefully, no ICE'ing. Here's a picture:

FairviewBlinksSmall.jpg

Saw a Volt for the first time today, at Frisco's "Chunk Your Junk" event. But my husband and I were wondering.... if the VOLT has an internal combustion engine, where are the exhaust pipes? We didn't see any on the back of the car.

vrwl said:
Saw a Volt for the first time today, at Frisco's "Chunk Your Junk" event. But my husband and I were wondering.... if the VOLT has an internal combustion engine, where are the exhaust pipes? We didn't see any on the back of the car.

They are inside the car. :lol:

vrwl said:

Under the left rear bumper. It does not protrude

In case you missed it, eVgo just added 5 more DCQC stations in DFW. This is from thier email:
We Have Great News to Share: North Texas Now Has 11 Freedom Station® Sites

And we're still building!

Now Open: Latest Additions
Operational Level 2 and DC Fast Chargers

• 3802 Cedar Springs Road, Dallas, TX 75219
• 921 Henderson St., Ft. Worth, TX 76104
• 8020 Denton Hwy., Watauga,TX 76148
• 2911 Ridge Rd., Rockwall, TX 75032
• 780 W. Bedford Euless Rd., Hurst, TX 76053

vrwl said:
garygTx said:
In case you missed it, eVgo just added 5 more DCQC stations in DFW.

Sure wish they charged on a "per use" basis. :cry:

This is why their business model will fail. Of course, I'm not sure there's ANY business model that could make money on public EV charging :roll:

Back