COSTCO has officially removed ALL existing EVSEs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll bet there are a great deal of level 2 EVSEs around if one knew how to find them; perhaps a state agency would take the lead on this. start a data-base, update the information and present it on the Internet. I have not seen one place that has all the EVSEs listed...just a series of "happen-stance" sites.

Perhaps they would even include the Cosco info when it changes.

IMHO, this isn't a specific problem with COSTCO or any other retailer. The fundamental question is, what is the business case for a retailer to install EVSE equipment?

from a pure profitability standpoint ( the consumer pays for the charge and the EVSE itself makes a profit), really hard to see how that works without a much larger base of EVs on the road, years from now.

From the standpoint of the EVSE bringing in additional customers, or existing customers coming more often, Well you can argue that, but how do you demonstrate it, and how many additional customer visits are required to justify the installation and maintenance cost of the EVSE? In this case COSTCO seems to be saying that past experience with the old EVSE indicates that the EVSE is not covering it's cost (think maintenance - why are all the old ones broken?). The money would probably be better spent on advertising, in terms of increasing traffic.

What you are left with is an argument that even though the EVSE is operated at a loss, there is a positive PR value, particular for those companies who are trying to project a "green" image. This is a pretty weak argument, and most companies could probably find cheaper ways burnish their "green" image. Some of those projects (solar panels, green roofs, etc) could actually save the company money, rather than being an ongoing financial drain.

And then when you talk about L3 EVSE with their factor of 10 higher cost, it really seems impossible to justify.

charlie1300 said:
IMHO, this isn't a specific problem with COSTCO or any other retailer. The fundamental question is, what is the business case for a retailer to install EVSE equipment?
Your points are valid, here are mine.

1) If charging, especially free charging, I already tend to spend more time at the destination browsing more isles or more stores at a mall. And more likely to spend more money.

2) To better use the parking lot put the free stations in a lesser used area. This puts EVs out in an under used area and allows others to park in the front row. I don't mind walking a bit if I can plug in. Same as Costco did not install the gasoline stations close to the front door. Costco is a low price leader in providing gasoline I hope they think the same on EV charging.

3) From a charging revenue and profit perspective I really doubt it will pay for itself on its own. The spots produce more revenue with happy customers spending money in the store. I don't see how using a bunch of prime spots and charging for profit will make anyone happy.

4) Retailer needs to understand that L2 is not going to fill up an EV and his next stop is a 300 mile trip like it is for a gasoline vehicle. L2 barely pays for the journey over to the store to spend money.

charlie1300 said:
From the standpoint of the EVSE bringing in additional customers, or existing customers coming more often, Well you can argue that, but how do you demonstrate it, and how many additional customer visits are required to justify the installation and maintenance cost of the EVSE? In this case COSTCO seems to be saying that past experience with the old EVSE indicates that the EVSE is not covering it's cost (think maintenance - why are all the old ones broken?). The money would probably be better spent on advertising, in terms of increasing traffic.

I wonder if gasoline (typically priced well below the surrounding market, with further discounts for using the costco credit card) is a loss leader or close to neutral for Costco, or a significant profit center in and of itself. If it was the latter, wouldn't one expect to see more direct competition on price from businesses with no warehouse store on the other side of the parking lot?

To your point about the historical evidence that Costco has - I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that there are already way more Leafs on the road (in San Diego at least) than there ever were any and all other types of EVs at any time in the past. Lack of use of those old units should not carry much if any weight in their analysis - if it does, they are really not paying attention.

I can envision (but can't prove of course) a situation where a Costco had a bank of EV chargers for which they charged a reasonable price (eg. double their actual marginal cost per kWH - let's say .20 - or the equivalent based on time at L2, 75c per hour), which would be used frequently enough and throw off enough revenue to actually pay for the infrastructure over a reasonable period of time (few years?), while providing a slight enticement to customers. The stores are far enough apart, and the typical shopping trip long enough that it seems like it could be win-win. Yes, it's cheaper to charge at home, but charging does take time, and if an opportunity charge at a fair price allows you to take a shopping trip during the day _and_ use your car that evening, without having to recharge at home on-peak, instead delaying your recharge to super-off-peak after your second trip of the day, the utility of the car goes way up while keeping the average cost per mile reasonable. A bank of 10 EVSE's, 50% full for 10 hours a day at 75c/hour would throw off enough money beyond the electricity cost to pay off the EVSE's in 2 years (lot of assumptions in that calculation, including a low cost method to collect the money, and a protocol to manage charging activity among multiple vehicles). If there really end up being as many EVs as there should be, it seems at least plausible.

Regardless, places with a large customer base but only 1 or 2 EVSEs are destined to be useless if and when EVs actually take hold. It would be like a Costco gasoline station with one pump - you need to be able to entice a lot of customers to pick you, not just a lucky one or two per few hours. For it to _really_ work, they'll need a configuration that serves 4 parking spaces per EVSE, and the cart-collector workers will have to be monitoring and moving charge cables with the help of smart EVSEs that manage the transactions the drivers select. The more I think about it, the further away it all seems.

On the flip side, if installations like the one in Balboa Park actually start charging $5/hour are absolutely going to sit idle until they rot.

From a pure business perspective charging stations at Costco locations will benefit them more then not having them, this is a win for them in too many ways to list. Basing this on past EVSE use experience is not a point to measure since the entire landscape has changed. From a logistics perspective, not accepting free EVSE units and installation will cost them less than removing the old units, in fact cost them nothing and save them money. Not all companies make smart business decisions and corporate culture can cause quite a bit of dysfunction.

smkettner said:
4) Retailer needs to understand that L2 is not going to fill up an EV and his next stop is a 300 mile trip like it is for a gasoline vehicle. L2 barely pays for the journey over to the store to spend money.

Now that you mention it, this could be a very significant misconception - people are well and fully conditioned to the idea that "plugging in" to a gas pump can result in many tens of dollars worth of go juice in mere minutes, and they certainly wouldn't want anyone to get an advantage over them by getting similar results for "free" or even "cheap". Hopefully this potential disconnect (get it, disconnect? I slay myself) in the monetization logic will be overcome.

(On the handful of occasions I've proposed to friends that I plug in when visiting, mainly to try it out, but also for a little bit of advance rpom (range peace of mind) since it wasn't clear what our SOC would be on arrival, I've found myself going to extremes in terms of proactively explaining that even if we stay for hours and hours, I will only be able to deprive them of, at most, a dollar's worth of electricity (that does assume they are not way over baseline on their bill, but even then it would not be much, relatively speaking.

In one case I proffered a sweet $6 bottle of microbrew for about 50c in juice, and in another I paid the two kids in the house, and their friend .75 each to "fill me up", after having them ask their dad if they could sell me some juice lemonade stand style, $2.25 for another 50c in actual juice....so I guess I actually perpetuated the myth by overcompensating...bad precedents, both. In neither case did my friends actually want any compensation at all, and they both, I believe, truly understood that the actual amount was small and I still couldn't let it go - what's wrong with me? )

My local Costco removed the EVSEs last week. I politely asked about it and was told they were out dated. They are looking into replacing with new one away from the buildings.
In a separate note Walgreens anounced last week that they will be installing J1772's at all stores by the end of 2012. A few are already installed as tests and some more will be installed this fall but most will come in 2012. I don't see how they will install at my local Walgreens but I will be looking out for one.

pawsouth said:
My local Costco removed the EVSEs last week.

pawsouth, this would be more helpful if we knew which Costco or which city you lived in. You may want to update your profile with your location and then you wouldn't get idiots like me bugging you about it :)

If you are a Costco member, or someone who would become a Costco member if they supported EV charging, please follow the link below to thank Costco for their past support of EVs and urge them to expand their EV charging network.

http://www.pluginamerica.org/costco

They are still here in Santa Barbara at our Costco.. I am told that the Shopping complex Management owns the EVSE and NOT CostCO.. So I think it depends on who installed it in the COSTCO Parking lot.. Here in SB its not COSTCO's call..

mogur said:
Ironically, none of the Costco we frequent (Van Nuys, Burbank and Northridge) have ever had chargers...

tomsax said:
If you are a Costco member, or someone who would become a Costco member if they supported EV charging, please follow the link below to thank Costco for their past support of EVs and urge them to expand their EV charging network.

It was very nice here.. I would run to Costco in the LEAF to Scout out Products etc.. then return with the Smudge Bucket ICE Van I own to collect our wares..

The full text:

Now that thousands of new plug-in cars are being delivered, why is Costco ripping out many of their charging stations, such as the one in Rohnert Park pictured here? Why won’t Costco take advantage of a California state grant to upgrade charging stations to the new standard used by the Chevy Volt, Nissan LEAF, and every plug-in car coming to showrooms in the coming years?

Take Action Now

We drivers of electric cars will always be grateful to Costco. Costco deserves praise for its early support for electric cars. Hundreds of thousands of miles of petroleum-free, emission-free driving (and thousands of hours of Costco shopping) have been enabled by the existence of the electric vehicle charge stations hosted by Costco. The charging stations installed over ten years ago have survived thanks to Costco’s leadership and the volunteer efforts of the drivers of electric vehicles, along with Plug In America and the Electric Auto Association.

The time has come to let Costco know loud and clear of our support for their electric car charging stations. The best way for members to communicate with Costco is through their in-store suggestion boxes.

Visit your local Costco and drop a note in the box. You can download Costco's member feedback form here.

If your Costco has charge stations, thank them and ask them to keep them. And ask them to upgrade the old stations to J1772 while maintaining the stations used by RAV4 EVs. If they’ve yanked them out already, let them know of your disappointment.

In addition, send Costco CEO Jim Sinegal an email. Just click and send, or better yet, personalize your letter with your experience and hopes for Costco charging, along with your Costco Membership #.

Take Action Now

If you can make a donation to Plug In America, now is a great time. Campaigns like this take time and resources.

Thank you

Dan Davids
President, Plug in America

For some years, it has been "understood" among the RV community that mobilehomes and self-contained trailers are unofficially welcome to park overnight at any Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart accommodates them because the company knows that these people will, generally, come in the store to re-stock their RV with everything from food to beer to ice to fishing tackle.

My question is, isn't there an opportunity for some large retail chain (drugstore, movies, grocery, big-box) to become the "Wal-Mart" of electric vehicles? That is, I could know that wherever I drove my Leaf, I could always stop at the [retailer] for at least an L2 charge? Today, that role is semi-played by "participating" Nissan dealers (most dealers allow any Leaf to charge, but only during regular dealership hours, and it's a bit of a crapshoot whether the dealer in the location you need a charge, will accommodate you), but it seems there is still an opportunity here.

Walgreen's seems to have issued a 'larger' press release than Ikea or Best Buy, but all I've seen so far from any of these is just that -- press releases.

EricH said:
For some years, it has been "understood" among the RV community that mobilehomes and self-contained trailers are unofficially welcome to park overnight at any Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart accommodates them because the company knows that these people will, generally, come in the store to re-stock their RV with everything from food to beer to ice to fishing tackle.

My question is, isn't there an opportunity for some large retail chain (drugstore, movies, grocery, big-box) to become the "Wal-Mart" of electric vehicles? That is, I could know that wherever I drove my Leaf, I could always stop at the [retailer] for at least an L2 charge? Today, that role is semi-played by "participating" Nissan dealers (most dealers allow any Leaf to charge, but only during regular dealership hours, and it's a bit of a crapshoot whether the dealer in the location you need a charge, will accommodate you), but it seems there is still an opportunity here.

Walgreen's seems to have issued a 'larger' press release than Ikea or Best Buy, but all I've seen so far from any of these is just that -- press releases.

I hear Best Buy Stores are going to install LV2 EVSE in some locations.

mogur said:
Ironically, none of the Costco we frequent (Van Nuys, Burbank and Northridge) have ever had chargers...

tomsax said:
Van Nuys still has chargers. An SPI and an Avcon. I was there today and they are still standing although they were both ICEd and the SPI is actually more leaning than standing.

I wrote a comment card asking them to keep the chargers and upgrade them to J1772 in addition to sending an email via Plug In America. I wrote my own letter instead of using their form letter and included my family's member numbers. We have been business members since 1988 in Canada.

Also dropped comment in the Suggestion Box and sent personalized email. Received the attached this afternoon;

" ----- Transcript of session follows ----- <[email protected]>... Deferred: Connection reset by mx2.costco.com.
Warning: message still undelivered after 4 hours Will keep trying until message is 5 days old"

so will see if it goes thru.

Back