COSTCO has officially removed ALL existing EVSEs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oops . . . I just read that a few minutes ago and thought it worthy of a separate thread. Then I thought it'd be nice to mention it here ... and there it was already. Sorry 'bout that - not wanting to steal anyone's thunder. :)

A couple weeks ago, in possession of a Costco "cash card", we shopped at the Costco in San Bernardino, CA, and found a couple of "legacy", non-working EVSEs still there. So not every store has gone through the trouble to remove them. However, the store was unwilling to find a standard, 120 V outlet for us to use, which would have reduced the time we subsequently had to charge at a Nissan dealership before driving home, while encouraging us to spend more at the store. Trader Joe's, which has allowed us to "trickle charge" when needed, will continue to get most of our grocery spending.

So far the Laguna Niguel Costco has not removed their legacy equipment. Did a double take the other night because the old units were all on and lit up even. The RockaBilly kids that work in the Tire Center don't seem to not know much beyond how to operate a wheel balancing machine. Costco seems headed in the wrong direction when you look at all the context. Heavy sigh.

TonyWilliams said:
As of an hour ago, all EVSEs are intact at Carmel Mountain (San Diego).

There's also an L5-20 you can plug into when the spaces aren't ICE'd. Unfortunately they're almost always ICE'd. I picked up an L5-20 to 5-15 adapter at Home Depot for about $10. Let's me plug in when I'm at the Carmel Mountain Costco. I sure wish the 110v charger could draw more than 12 amps. I make it a point to plug in, even if I'm only there for a short time, just so Costco people will see an EV charging there.

TonyWilliams said:
As of an hour ago, all EVSEs are intact at Carmel Mountain (San Diego).
Yea - bottom line - several Costco's are still installed AND on line - as TRONZ and others mentioned. Often they're blocked, as they often are at the Irvine site that we normally shop.

I continue to encourage notes in the suggestion box ... reminding costco how loyalty to their store may wane, once our local Walmarts come on line as they intend to do. Use a carrot ... use a stick ... use both ... what ever it takes.
;)

Costco here still has the 120 Volt charging option. i drove by it. its still there, still labeled as such but ICE'd (one of the most ICE'd spots i have seen)

too bad the proper signage is not there

2011-11-29_10-42-05_686.jpg

since Blink announced they will be charging to plug in, they made sure that there is no blockage to their possible revenue stream...notice the bottom line?

kevin672 said:
There's also an L5-20 you can plug into when the spaces aren't ICE'd. Unfortunately they're almost always ICE'd. I picked up an L5-20 to 5-15 adapter at Home Depot for about $10. Let's me plug in when I'm at the Carmel Mountain Costco. I sure wish the 110v charger could draw more than 12 amps. I make it a point to plug in, even if I'm only there for a short time, just so Costco people will see an EV charging there.
That's interesting. I've never seen an L5-20 outlet anywhere. What's the story behind this Costso L5-20R? Is it dedicated to EV charging, or is it primarily intended for something else?

tps said:
kevin672 said:
That's interesting. I've never seen an L5-20 outlet anywhere. What's the story behind this Costso L5-20R? Is it dedicated to EV charging, or is it primarily intended for something else?

I can't even get Costco build a store south of Atlanta (IE between Warner Robins & Perry GA) let alone put in a EV charger/plug

TonyWilliams said:
tps said:

Today at Carmel Mt (San Diego):

0889a054.jpg

Since it's fed from the same set of sub-panels that the legacy EVSE's are, I always assumed it was installed for electric vehicle charging. I always hate that I have to block a working Avcon when I'm there though.

A few weeks ago we were at the San Bernardino, CA Costco. I left a note in the suggestion/feedback box indicating that having the ability to charge our LEAF at the store would encourage us to do business there.

Today I received a phone call from one of the managers at that store. He started by pointing out the location of their EV "chargers" by the tire center, and encouraged us to make use of them. I then explained that those are "legacy" chargers and that all of the automakers are now adopting the J1772 standard. While I did mention Coulomb Technologies and Ecotality, I strongly suggested that the store would be better off simply purchasing basic EVSEs on their own.

I also suggested the possibility of them offering Quick Charging and potentially charging for it, but they didn't seem too enthusiastic about the idea of paying $10K for the charger and more for the electrical infrastructure.

The call ended on a positive note, with the manager indicating that he would be following up on this. Using the existing EVSE wiring for new J1772 units shouldn't be that hard. He also mentioned that their store has solar (must be new; can't find it in Google Maps). I thanked him for their commitment to energy independence and the environment.

On another note, we noticed that the monthly Costco "magazine" still has a category for "EV Charging" as a store amenity at some locations. I am optimistic that Costco, or at least some of their stores, may now be tilting in a more pro-EV direction. :D

I believe the free money for those EVSE units may still be available. This was a separate fund just for these existing units so they may not need to pay. The funds must be used for those units only per my last update.

I find it interesting that at the "drive event" last year at the Nissan Headquarters, they specifically mentioned Costco as one of the companies that were committed to supporting the new EVSE....too bad it has gone the other way. I wonder what happened. I put a card in the suggestion box months ago at the West Nashville Costco, located right off I-40, and never heard anything back from them. I decided to do so after speaking to the regional contact for the EV Project who said they were looking for ANY business location to install units at...for FREE.

Getting ICE'd is a huge problem here. I know many Leaf owners in our area find this to be common place and very frustrating. We DO have the new chargers and we can't get to them as it seems, there usually is an SUV or truck parked in the spot.

As an aside, I'll never shop at the evil empire, walmart. If you thought "Who Killed the Electric Car" was eye opening, watch "The High Cost of Low Prices" and I think you will see, it isn't worth saving a few cents to shop there.

Just got off the phone with Costco Corporate Office Assistant VP for Buildings/Energy Controls in Issaquah, WA:

According to him no one wants chargers at Costcos. But they will put in chargers if there is a demand and they have recently installed chargers at 2 Costco locations in CA.
The way to create demand is to fill out a form the next time you go to Costco and to talk to the local top boss there in person. I think this should not be a problem and we can get a turn around at many Costco locations.
So be vocal, fill out a card and let's make a difference the next time you shop there.
By the way, the top manager at Costco Woodland just got a Tesla
Let's see if we as a group can get our act together for change
greetings
eugen

send me a note so I can keep track of our requests

it looks like Tesla is pressing hard to get chargers there too but most of us couldn't use them.
And one of the founders of Costco has a Tesla.

There is already a long discussion thread about this here. Please do not start another one... Thanks!
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5062&hilit=costco" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Moderator, please merge this.

merger is fine with me.

just remember the last post there was on Jan 2, 2012

Back