COSTCO has officially removed ALL existing EVSEs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I, for one, wouldn't blame them. "Once burned, twice shy", after all. It would be nice if they'd do it, but certainly not worth trying for some sort of negative campaign against them.

I just emailed Craig Peal again (Asst VP for Building & Energy Controls) to ask whether they are really just going to take out the old chargers and not bother at all with the J1772s. About 3 weeks ago I had emailed him and he indicated that they were talking with "a number of charger manufacturers" about their equipment specs and support, which implied to me that they were pondering the J1772 situation. Will post results if I get back anything useful.

I am all for Costco having charge stations. BUT, it always seemed very strange to me that they were the only major retailer that jumped in when the first round of EV's trickled out. It almost seemed like the early "bleeding edge" installations were a pet project of an enthusiastic higher up. If I were a betting man, I would say that Costco does NOT want to be on the "bleeding edge" this time. As enthusiasts, we would like to see Costco redeemed for being there in the beginning... AND reward them with shopping visits. They seem to now see it differently. Instead of build-it-and-they-will-come, Costco will now do a if-they-come-and-others-are-building-it... we-will-to.

I actually prefer early EVSE installations to be at dense retail/entertainment centers and not lone big box retailers. IMHO Laguna Beach is the best example of properly sited EVSE's so far. The people at ChargePoint monitoring my usage patterns are nodding in agreement.

I can't know all the deals but Costco (and others) generally seem to be part of a larger shopping complex. I think it would be best for Costco and the others to pressure the landlord to install the charging stations so the entire center can benefit.

Also if they want to maximize parking utilization put the things out in the lesser used parking areas. This could free up some of the front row parking to keep others happy and allow EVs to fill a lesser utilized area.

Perhaps calling Costco's corporate offices would be the best way to get the correct story and if it is true they are pulling them out, suggesting it would be a mistake might influence their decision.......Costco is a very forward thinking company in most areas of business.

mxp said:
dpodoll said:
GeekEV said:
If the later, who's ABG?

ABG http://www.autoblog.com/

Yes, we should send this off to Autoblog or other Green blog site that has critical mass.
Sorry, ABG is AutoblogGreen http://green.autoblog.com/

I figured folks here were familiar with them. :D

I did send in the story tip to them after my first comment the other day.

I got a response from the AVP at Costco Craig Peal…. he said that he was unaware of a directive instructing stores to take out the old chargers, but that they did suggest that if stores had old chargers that they cap them and take them out. He also said that they are maintaining contacts with the manufacturers to see how things progress, but that at this point have no plans to install the "new generation" chargers.

So, we probably need to decide whether we start the campaign to educate Costco, or put our "energy" into figuring out why Ecotality isn't installing any public and commercial EVSEs… :? :? :? :? :?

Did he say anything about the free upgrades to the California EVSEs? Did they know about that? If there's not a formal directive to take them out, maybe they should send out another directive saying that if they're in California another option is to fill out the papers and get them upgraded. This actually makes more sense, as I can understand not wanting to leave obsolete chargers hanging around with the new crop of cars coming out. It would just create confusion and make them look apathetic. So a better corporate directive, that would still address the issue, is "upgrade them if you can, remove them if not". Perhaps you can follow up with Craig, since you seem to have his ear now.

No mention about the free upgrades. If someone has something that I could send to him as a "how to get your free upgrade" PM me. I am happy to send it along and make another pitch for it.

JCBNJB said:
No mention about the free upgrades. If someone has something that I could send to him as a "how to get your free upgrade" PM me. I am happy to send it along and make another pitch for it.

I can PM you the paperwork.

IMHO, that Costco AVP watered down his story to you.... (that's just my opinion based on what I have heard, so pls don't flame me)

The local Costco mgmt are not allowed to do the free "upgrade" unless they get the corp AVP to sign a form of release liability.

So, even if the local Costco mgmt said "Hey Mr Costco AVP, we'd like to get the free charger upgrade and trial for a period of time to gather usage data, can we sign the papers?"; I am sure Mr AVP would say "No".

Why don't you ask Mr Costco AVP if he was willing to allow his local Costco managers to make those localized decisions and let them sign it for that free upgrade?

Oh, the humanity!

uh, I dont go to Costco for the great selection of cheap charging spots.
With or without, I would go to Costco. The 40 minutes of charging wont send me to walmart.

Exactly. Leafers are going to get their panties in a bunch because Costco won't provide free electricity so you can go three extra miles. The rest of the world parks at Costco to well...park. Not mooch off some electricity and declare it as some EV right.

Good grief, call or write to achieve "critical mass?" Critical mass of what? How whiny, self centered, pretentious and demanding little EV zealots have become? :lol: I drive a special car so I am entitled to someone else's electricity. :p

So we're now demanding that a retailer must put in charge spots or some will shop elsewhere? That's hilarious. Well, that will certainly open up more spaces for other customers who's sense of entitlement doesn't go as far as providing free electricity. Especially for a vehicle that's touted as a commuter because 90% of people only drive 40 miles a day.

Train said:
So we're now demanding that a retailer must put in charge spots or some will shop elsewhere? That's hilarious. Well, that will certainly open up more spaces for other customers who's sense of entitlement doesn't go as far as providing free electricity.

Hopefully, a factual basis might persuade them.

1- They have the already installed EV chargers.
2- It's FREE to upgrade that to the newer versions.
3- Lots more people will use these as the old ones ('cuz this time, EV's are in for the long haul)

Heck, we could even suggest that they not offer it for free. I could pay my $1 EV charge fee out the checkout counter with my hot dog purchase. It doesn't have to be free.

I do agree with you about "demanding" free electricity, or we won't shop there.

Train said:
Oh, the humanity!

With or without, I would go to Costco. The 40 minutes of charging wont send me to walmart.

Exactly. Leafers are going to get their panties in a bunch because Costco won't provide free electricity so you can go three extra miles. The rest of the world parks at Costco to well...park. Not mooch off some electricity and declare it as some EV right.

Good grief, call or write to achieve "critical mass?" Critical mass of what? How whiny, self centered, pretentious and demanding little EV zealots have become? :lol: I drive a special car so I am entitled to someone else's electricity. :p

So we're now demanding that a retailer must put in charge spots or some will shop elsewhere? That's hilarious. Well, that will certainly open up more spaces for other customers who's sense of entitlement doesn't go as far as providing free electricity. Especially for a vehicle that's touted as a commuter because 90% of people only drive 40 miles a day.

Sorry - for me it's not about 'FREE' it's about extending range. And if the parking has a meter to pay and plug then even better to pay as I go. And one sure way to keep the ICE jam out of the EV parking, put them in the back of the lot where you can get some exercise walking to the store. Finally, make no assumptions for me, if the retailer provides a means for me to use the EV - I will participate.

Exactly. I'm at Costco from 30 to 60 minutes typically. Not enough time to make a real difference in my EV charging world...

Train said:

Nekota said:
Train said:
Oh, the humanity!

You mistake my point. I am going to Costco. NO amount of evse installs will get me there more. No fewer will get me there less. No number of evse installs at Walmart will get me to go there.
At Costco, I would use it, if it were open. But the Nissan dealer is right next door and I dont bother with that when I go to Costco.
The one plus would be to have a place along the 405 were you could get a charge.
that is always good.

Sorry - for me it's not about 'FREE' it's about extending range. And if the parking has a meter to pay and plug then even better to pay as I go. And one sure way to keep the ICE jam out of the EV parking, put them in the back of the lot where you can get some exercise walking to the store. Finally, make no assumptions for me, if the retailer provides a means for me to use the EV - I will participate.

I'm with Tony. It's not about demanding they provide it or we go elsewhere. It's about the fact that they ALREADY made the decision to have EVSEs installed years ago. Now you can get them upgraded for free. Why wouldn't you? It's also about a company that prides itself in being green continuing to support a critical green initiative...

As for cost, Costco is a membership store. You pay anywhere from $50 to $100 a year for the privilege to shop there. That, by itself, dwarfs the cost of any electricity I might consume. Not to mention the tons of money I spend there every year.

GeekEV said:
I'm with Tony. It's not about demanding they provide it or we go elsewhere. It's about the fact that they ALREADY made the decision to have EVSEs installed years ago. Now you can get them upgraded for free. Why wouldn't you? It's also about a company that prides itself in being green continuing to support a critical green initiative...

As for cost, Costco is a membership store. You pay anywhere from $50 to $100 a year for the privilege to shop there. That, by itself, dwarfs the cost of any electricity I might consume. Not to mention the tons of money I spend there every year.

+1

GeekEV said:

Yep, same here. It was never about the free electricity and no one on this forum would think that way. It only costs me 6 - 12 cents per kWh. Why would anyone bother to to charge for 5 hrs at Costco. One must be mad to do so.

Commercial giants can help drive a movement, in this case support and promote EV adoption and renewable energy. Just like solar, when more and more companies adopt solar, it paves the way for further consumer uptake.

Perhaps it's now time for another commercial retail brand who has a corporate renewable energy program to lead the charge...

Back