CHAdeMO-to-Tesla adapter?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NYLEAF said:
I think the big concern that is being brought up here is that Tesla drivers might treat the CHAdeMO units as everyone treats a Level 2. Drivers should never leave their car unattended at a Quick Charger for more than 10-15 minutes, and even that is up for debate. One Tesla Driver could ruin the day for 5+ Leaf drivers that were counting on getting a charge, meanwhile the Tesla driver is off at a movie theater or a restaurant. Not cool.
Easily solved with a few solutions:

1. Add more QC stations. Look at how many plugs Tesla installs at a typical Supercharger location - they are installing 6-8 plugs at a a typical Supercharger location. Tesla knows how to build a usable, reliable charging location that people can depend on - I wish that other companies installing stations would get the same hint, but it's still very, very rare for more than one QC station to be installed at a single location. It's rare to see more than 6-8 L2 stations at a single location!
2. Put a time limit on parking in a QC spot. 1 hour seems reasonable. If a Tesla wants/needs to charge for longer, they should come back and wait with the car in case someone else needs to use the spot.

I don't know if it technically feasible, but a maximum of 1/2 hour could also be programmed in to the QC...

drees said:
2. Put a time limit on parking in a QC spot. 1 hour seems reasonable. If a Tesla wants/needs to charge for longer, they should come back and wait with the car in case someone else needs to use the spot.

I think all 50kW QC users should limit their stay to 15 minutes if someone is waiting regardless of rules. This is a courtesy to other EV drivers. In addition, I think this should be enforced by station owners.

On any EV that can use a 50kW QC, it's going to get you at least 45 miles of added range for that 15 minute stay. On a LEAF a 50kW QC starts to taper close to Level 2 rates soon after 15 minutes anyway, so the benefit of QC is reduced.

If someone is waiting, I always give up the spot once my charge rate drops below around 10kW. There's almost always a L2 station nearby if I need more.

A Tesla owner camped out for an hour could mean 4 LEAFs could have been on their way, and the 4th LEAF on the scene will be waiting for close to 2 hours for a charge.

-Phil

I don't think saying "just add more" is a realistic solution. The past 3 years have shown that getting QCs installed is not an easy task. No one is following Tesla's lead and installing 4-10 plugs per site. At best, we might see dual-plug stations, one CHAdeMO, one Combo. Chances are that only one will work at a time, similar to the Blink stations with 2 CHAdeMO plugs.

The time limit is a good idea. As others have suggested, this needs to be built into the QC's software, so that the driver has to come back and restart the charger if they need more than 20 or 30 minutes of charge (and hopefully they'll be willing to move over if someone else has been waiting). I think the best deterrent of all would be charging per-minute fees. Tesla drivers, used to their free Superchargers, will spend as little time as possible on a CHAdeMO that is charging by the minute. Per-session makes no sense now that Teslas can use them.

None of this changes the realities of the current situation. In the next few months, Tesla drivers will be able to use CHAdeMO stations, which were designed for cars with batteries 1/4th the size. Until changes are made by the QC operators, things will become more difficult for Leaf drivers.

Pipcecil said:
Honestly I don't see a model S sucking on a CHAdeMO for multiple hours to fill up. - I really just see them poping by for an hour or so to get a good charge to keep going. Honestly, if a model S had a choice between a tesla super charger or a chademo, he will also go the faste route (and its free!).

I've actually been waiting ALONG time to either comment or say something about this and have been biting my tongue but I think I will now.. What I'm speaking of is also tons of reading and experience from the Tesla forums also.. I've been anticipating starting joining over there but I'll probably start an EV-WAR and it would be them, not me doing this.. "they don't like how their $hit stinks".... here we go...

I personally don't like the fact that Tesla is building a one way adapter for CHAdeMO. They never helped on the infrastructure and this is a band-aid while they figure out their issues, problem is "most" and I say that meaning NOT ALL owners are entitled or have a feeling of self entitlement and they take and give little.. NOW HEAR ME OUT!!!

I've met a TON of you guys here locally in SoCal.. totally cool!! :cool: and have given me rides and 1 person even let me drive his. But there is that "group" and it shows on the forums especially in the CHAdeMO threads...entitled, world owes them everything, and give nothing back..

"it takes too long already at SC stations, I should be able to charge for free at any Nissan stealership I want to"
"imagine when the Model E comes out and all those lower $40k cars start to hog our chargers, then what?"
"they should build a SAE Combo adapter for us so we can charger anywhere we want to for free"
"no way in hell should Leaf's or anybody else be allowed to charge at a SC station, we PAID for it, I paid for the CHAdeMO stations"
etc,etc,etc...

yeah, and so did my neighbors, my parents, friends workers,etc that will never own an EV.. but they want full and free access to all Mitsu and Nissan dealerships...

but when the question is reversed.... it's like a HELL NO effect.. they are even worried about the "lower class people" and the Model E :roll: clogging the lines.

I'm really not liking this.. and it upsets me.. to be fair, Tesla should offer a reverse adapter.

The more I read the Tesla forums... the more I'm put off...

At the rate Tesla is planning to build Supercharge Stations, this is only going to be a temporary solution for the areas without Tesla Stations yet. Once they are installed, you wont see many Tesla's using ChaDeMo, except for a quick bump to get them to the nearest Tesla Station. At $1000 for the adapter, there also won't be quite so many takers. And the ones who were begging for the adapter were those with the 60kWh pack and who did not get the Supercharging option. For them the ChaDeMo adapter is near $3000 ($2900), because it requires the supercharging option.

I don't think so.. in the NW and other regions... it sounds like CHAdeMO stations are plentiful... and Tesla owners are planning are just using them like crazy...

and the adapter only costs $400 with a new car now.. the $1000 is for existing

Totally agree, Jason...

IMHO, Tesla should install 1 CHAdeMO station at each SuperCharger location. It would show good-will towards Leaf drivers (future Tesla owners?), and could be used as a backup by Tesla drivers (w/Adapter) in the event that all SuperChargers are in use/broken/ICEd/whatever.

And yes, some of the posts over on TMC just sicken me...

I almost wanted to join just to represent Leafers and start an EVwar almost... but I just can't do it..

You see how far off some of them are by saying "it's too expensive" and they have a P85 in their sig :lol:

and others saying they will buy 2 for their S and X that's on order :roll:

Well, at least at Nissan dealerships they have to get the fob to charge. Hopefully most will turn Model S owners away, or at least let them charge on a proviso, knowing what the ramifications are for their "own customers".

I might feel differently if Tesla (and apparently most Model S owners) had a different attitude when it comes to the Superchargers. But they didn't, so I don't. :x

Personally, I don't think it'll be a HUGE problem, considering most QC's are now charging fees. This is will help ensure that only the drivers with a real need will use the QC's. A Model-S owner our for a movie or dinner is unlikely to need any kind of a charge until he gets home. It will only be the owners who are travelling long distances, while should be a statistically rare event.

The fees also stop the "hey it's free" LEAF owners from stopping even when they really don't need it. I can't tell you how many times I waited at the VW QC in Belmont for a LEAF owner who was only 10 miles from home sit there for 35 minutes sucking every last electron while I (and usually others) wait. On many occasions, when asked specifically if they have enough charge to complete their trip, the answer was yes, but they still sat there until the QC stopped itself. About half the drivers that did this ignored my advice that after 20 minutes, the charge rate is so slow that it's not worth waiting.

So far I've seen a lot more rude and selfish LEAF owners at QC's (and no Teslas yet!)

-Phil

mwalsh said:
I might feel differently if Tesla (and apparently most Model S owners) had a different attitude when it comes to the Superchargers. But they didn't, so I don't. :x
Well, as I tried to point out earlier, I helped pay for our CHAdeMOs, and I paid for my Superchargers, but you did not pay for my Superchargers.

ebill3 said:
Well, as I tried to point out earlier, I helped pay for our CHAdeMOs, and I paid for my Superchargers, but you did not pay for my Superchargers.

Well, if you want to play that game - most Model S owners didn't pay for CHAdeMO DCQCs at Nissan dealerships. But I did. So if they'd kindly stay away from those... That might be a deal I could live with.

ebill3 said:
mwalsh said:
Yeah, and so did everyone else when they helped Tesla startup with the the Advanced Technology Vehicle Manufacturing Program and also through other subsidies...

The funding, part of an US$8 billion program for advanced vehicle technologies (Advanced Technology Vehicles Manufacturing Loan Program), supports engineering and production of the Model S sedan, as well as the development of powertrain technology that Tesla plans to sell to other automakers.

Granted they meaning him Elon paid it back.. but it's not just YOU as a model S owner.. :roll: Roadster owners and shareowners such as myself put into that as well..

But am I expecting that for free?? NO..

AND I DON'T EVEN HAVE CHAdeMO!!! :lol:
Level 2 for life!

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...o-charge-my-Model-S?highlight=charging+nissan

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/22312-CHAdeMO-Adapter-coming-this-winter

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...pter-frustration-(adapter-coming-winter-2013)

This one is the best and takes the cake!!
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...perCharging-an-S85-after-a-1300-mile-roadtrip

mwalsh said:
ebill3 said:

Well, if you want to play that game - most Model S owners didn't pay for CHAdeMO DCQCs at Nissan dealerships. But I did. So if they'd kindly stay away from those... That might be a deal I could live with.
I can certainly live with that. Even though I did help pay for the CHAdeMOs at dealers, I wouldn't dream of asking to connect my Tesla.

Peace.

JasonA said:
AND I DON'T EVEN HAVE CHAdeMO!!! :lol:
I think that when a person starts shouting their argument, they must feel it is pretty weak as to substance.

But thanks for all those references, I trust you enjoyed them. Gee, even though I'm retired, I don't care to spend that much time searching.

Bye. :)

Ingineer said:
Yes, the Tesla connector system incorporates a locking mechanism, much like the 2013 LEAF.
Although, as I've discovered with the J1772 adapter, when you disconnect the J1772 from the adapter, the charge port unlocks allowing the adapter to be removed. Or perhaps this is only because I have the key in my pocket, but the car was NOT unlocked. I guess I need to test that before I can say for sure...

Back