CHAdeMO-to-Tesla adapter?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Viktor said:
So currently there isn't adaptor that would allow Leaf owner to use Tesla charging stations?

Sure there is, but you must specify which Tesla models and what chargers.

Roadster plug to J1772 inlet - doable for about $700

J1772 plug to Roadster - easy, several hundred dollars

Model S/X AC power plug to J1772 inlet - doable for about $700

J1772 to Model S/X AC power inlet - less than $100

Model S/X Supercharger DC plug to CHAdeMO inlet - not available at any price currently

CHAdeMO plug to Supercharger inlet - probably coming soon from Tesla for foreign markets

ahagge said:
If the Japanese Tesla market will be getting Tesla-to-CHAdeMO adapter (so that they can plug their Model S vehicles into the ubiquitous CHAdeMO stations in Japan), kinda makes you wonder whether a CHAdeMO-to-Telsa adapter might be possible for us in the US. Of course, I'm sure that Tesla Motors wouldn't be too happy about that development, but if they developed some means for us to pay for the electricity that we use at Tesla Superchargers, it would be a win-win...
Musk wants Chadeo to SC charging adapters - so it will happen SC to Chademo? I think Tesla would find no big deal at all over Leaf owners sponging off their small network if they ultimately get to sponge off our network. After all, Tesla would be inconveniencing Leaf'rs way more than we/them because of the big differences in charge times.

Thanks to a post over at http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/16401-CHAdeMO-adapter-frustration/page39?p=459399&viewfull=1#post459399" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, a CHAdeMO adapter is coming this winter.

It's listed at http://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/model-s/products/chademo-adapter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

TonyWilliams said:
It looks like they are limiting the adaptor to 25kW.
cwerdna said:
Thanks to a post over at http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/16401-CHAdeMO-adapter-frustration/page39?p=459399&viewfull=1#post459399" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, a CHAdeMO adapter is coming this winter. It's listed at http://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/model-s/products/chademo-adapter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
From the shop.teslamotors.com page:
CHAdeMO stations charge at the rate of approximately 70 miles of range per hour [~25kW] of charge with locations primarily in the Pacific Northwest.

I wonder if the infrastructure/installation of the chademo chargers are *mainly* setup for ~25kW max charging which seems to be what the LEAF (and i-MEV) does?

That is to say Tesla would not want to overtax those chargers and cause a problem. Read bad PR and backlash from the chademo community.

Charging Power as a Function of Time - EPRI LEAF
EPRI - Elect Power Research Institute - http://www.epri.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
3vVFU2F.png

Battery Capacitor and State-of-Charge - EPRI LEAF
EAAgAZz.png

scottf200 said:
I wonder if the infrastructure/installation of the chademo chargers are *mainly* setup for ~25kW max charging which seems to be what the LEAF (and i-MEV) does?

That is to say Tesla would not want to overtax those chargers and cause a problem. Read bad PR and backlash from the chademo community.

I could see it being a problem, running a station full out for, what, an hour and a half? A leaf will start to taper down from the ~50kW max in at most 15 minutes if coming in near turtle. Most of the time within 5 minutes. With the overheating we've seen in some of the Nissan Sumitomo units, perhaps 25kW is the most reliable power level they recommend. Better an hour of solid 25kw then 20 minutes of 50kW. :)

Also the price is low enough for those that really want them (or even station owners) but not so low that it makes everyone go out and get one for some free or low priced juice ($5 for a full charge on an 85kWh Model S?!?).

a new update on Tesla's site http://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/model-s-charging-adapters/products/chademo-adapter suggests that the adapter will allow the full charging rate:
"Take advantage of CHAdeMO’s network of 50 kW charging stations by enabling onboard hardware and purchasing an external adapter. CHAdeMO stations charge at the rate of approximately 150 miles of range per hour of charge with locations primarily in the Pacific Northwest."

This is great as long as they charge $5 for every 15 minutes of connection. If not it makes me sad and cheap tesla owners will ruin it for my little golf cart.

Elephanthead said:
....................cheap tesla owners will ruin it for my little golf cart.
O boy, the adapter isn't even available yet, and the sniping has started. :(

Very unfortunate.

ebill3 said:
Elephanthead said:
....................cheap tesla owners will ruin it for my little golf cart.
O boy, the adapter isn't even available yet, and the sniping has started. :(

Very unfortunate.

I'm seeing charging times of around 45 minutes quoted for 480V, but I don't know at what amperage (yet). That wouldn't be too bad. But I also think if you polled us, you'd find there's a whole bunch of us who don't want Tesla drivers sitting on derated or lower voltage CHAdeMO chargers for hours!

Edit: OK, I'm back after doing (limited) research (I'll need to do more to be certain of the facts). So from what I've read so far a 45 minute charge assumed the smaller pack Tesla was going to offer at 240V 90A. The charge time for the large pack at the same rate would be 1 hr 20 minutes. So considering most CHAdeMOs are operating at under 100A and some as low as 60A, that means the larger pack Tesla would probably be on a 100A unit for over an hour and a 60A unit for around 2 hours (and that even assumes a full 240V). That's not acceptable.

mwalsh said:
That's not acceptable.

There would be riots at Mitsubishi HQ! :lol: Although there is a posted 30 minute limit there... Not sure I'd see many Nissan dealers letting Teslas charge... blink qc's might on the blink for a while... I could tell you I probably wouldn't buy one if I had a Model S in So Cal.

Seems primarily for the Pac NW where there's just oodles of QC available (but still only one per site right?).

mwalsh said:
Edit: OK, I'm back after doing (limited) research (I'll need to do more to be certain of the facts). So from what I've read so far a 45 minute charge assumed the smaller pack Tesla was going to offer at 240V 90A. The charge time for the large pack at the same rate would be 1 hr 20 minutes. So considering most CHAdeMOs are operating at under 100A and some as low as 60A, that means the larger pack Tesla would probably be on a 100A unit for over an hour and a 60A unit for around 2 hours (and that even assumes a full 240V). That's not acceptable.

It's worse than I thought. The Tesla website says that the 85kWh pack will take 4 hours and 43 minutes to fully charge at 240V 80A (apparently 80A is the maximum rate for a dual-charger Model S, not 90A as I originally thought), for 62 miles per hour of charging. So to charge at 480V 80A would be approximately half that time, or 2 hours 21 minutes. To charge at 480V 60A would add another 35 minutes, so just shy of 3 hours.

IF you can get the full 100A from CHAdeMO (if it connects via the Supercharger inlet, for example) you can shave a few minutes off the 80A times (assuming 480V or better). BTW, even to charge the 85kWh pack on a Supercharger takes an hour, and even that assumes you don't have to share the unit with another car on the other connector.

My advice to Model S owners is stick to your 240A Superchargers and stay away from our CHAdeMO chargers (you bastards!).

Feel free to correct my math or other factual errors.

mwalsh said:
It's worse than I thought. The Tesla website says that the 85kWh pack will take 4 hours and 43 minutes to fully charge at 240V 80A (apparently 80A is the maximum rate for a dual-charger Model S, not 90A as I originally thought), for 62 miles per hour of charging. So to charge at 480V 80A would be approximately half that time, or 2 hours 21 minutes. To charge at 480V 60A would add another 35 minutes, so just shy of 3 hours.
Well, no. CHAdeMO is a DC charger and the chargers in the Tesla are by-passed, as you later note.
My advice to Model S owners is stick to your 240A Superchargers and stay away from our CHAdeMO chargers (you bastards!).
Horse hockey! My tax dollars funded those CHAdeMOs so they are mine as well as yours. And I paid for the Superchargers, but you did not.
My mother and father were properly married. ;)

Supercharging was never intended for full charging because of the long times needed as the charge rate tapers off nearing full. It is meant for a quick 50% so you can hop from station-to-station. That said, given that the network isn't fully built out yet, it is sometimes necessary to charge longer to get where you want to go. There also also freeloaders who charge to full because they can and want to get free juice, but that wasn't the original intention. If we could charge at CHAdeMO stations too, that would fill in some of the gaps and should make for shorter sessions overall.

mwalsh said:

Personally, I think the more cars that can use CHAdeMO, the better (especially wealthy drivers), as it will increase demand and hopefully encourage people to install even more stations.

Yes, a sudden influx of cars may temporarily increase congestion, but in the end more stations should be built.

85 kWh cars should also discourage per-session charging fees and encourage time/energy based charging fees as well.

mwalsh said:

Well, a Model S will get about the same rate of charge in miles/hour as a Leaf on the same ChaDeMo station. Perhaps slightly less since it is a bigger car, but perhaps slightly more if it is at a low SOC since the Leaf will begin the taper much sooner. In total getting the cars to 80% the Model S will take 3-4 times longer since that is how much bigger the pack is.

I agree with drees on all points.

drees said:
Personally, I think the more cars that can use CHAdeMO, the better (especially wealthy drivers), as it will increase demand and hopefully encourage people to install even more stations.

Yes, a sudden influx of cars may temporarily increase congestion, but in the end more stations should be built.

85 kWh cars should also discourage per-session charging fees and encourage time/energy based charging fees as well.

Totally agree. Let them charge! Make congestion at the chargers and which will, in turn make more money for those companies so they can build more of them.

Honestly I don't see a model S sucking on a CHAdeMO for multiple hours to fill up - I really just see them poping by for an hour or so to get a good charge to keep going. Honestly, if a model S had a choice between a tesla super charger or a chademo, he will also go the faste route (and its free!). I only see them using chademo they need the charge because they are low on range, or parking it and going shopping/eatting, etc (just like a level 2).

Finally, this a big boon in my area to buy a model s or future tesla with supercharging. We have 23 CHAdeMOs in our region and having access to that robust system is awesome.

Pipcecil said:
drees said:

Totally agree. Let them charge! Make congestion at the chargers and which will, in turn make more money for those companies so they can build more of them.

Honestly I don't see a model S sucking on a CHAdeMO for multiple hours to fill up - I really just see them poping by for an hour or so to get a good charge to keep going. Honestly, if a model S had a choice between a tesla super charger or a chademo, he will also go the faste route (and its free!). I only see them using chademo they need the charge because they are low on range, or parking it and going shopping/eatting, etc (just like a level 2).

Finally, this a big boon in my area to buy a model s or future tesla with supercharging. We have 23 CHAdeMOs in our region and having access to that robust system is awesome.

I think the big concern that is being brought up here is that Tesla drivers might treat the CHAdeMO units as everyone treats a Level 2. Drivers should never leave their car unattended at a Quick Charger for more than 10-15 minutes, and even that is up for debate. One Tesla Driver could ruin the day for 5+ Leaf drivers that were counting on getting a charge, meanwhile the Tesla driver is off at a movie theater or a restaurant. Not cool.

Back