CHAdeMO-to-Tesla adapter?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ebill3 said:
Well, as I tried to point out earlier, I helped pay for our CHAdeMOs, and I paid for my Superchargers, but you did not pay for my Superchargers.
Well, if you really want to go there - we all probably paid a little for your Model S & super charging network. Just like we paid for Volt.

Yes I know, Nissan got a loan, but unlike Tesla (probably) & GM (obviously), Nissan would definitely still be around even if the loan wasn't there.

ps : When they first announced that the 40 kWh models won't get supercharging, there were some heated threads on TMC. Quite a few specifically stated that they are happy 40 kWh models won't "hog" the supercharger network. They definitely don't want the hoi polloi that drive Leaf to be anywhere near superchargers. I guess those are the ones who are status conscious and are seeking exclusivity.

evnow said:
Well, if you really want to go there - we all probably paid a little for your Model S & super charging network. Just like we paid for Volt.
Yes I know, Nissan got a loan, but unlike Tesla (probably) & GM (obviously), Nissan would definitely still be around even if the loan wasn't there.
I don't think you can really go there. Tesla has paid back the loan in its entirety WITH penalties for early repayment. Not only did you not contribute, in the strictest sense, you MADE MONEY on the deal. :roll:

evnow said:
When they first announced that the 40 kWh models won't get supercharging, there were some heated threads on TMC. Quite a few specifically stated that they are happy 40 kWh models won't "hog" the supercharger network. They definitely don't want the hoi polloi that drive Leaf to be anywhere near superchargers. I guess those are the ones who are status conscious and are seeking exclusivity.
Unfortunately, those folks exist in every grouping of those that own expensive cars, boats, airplanes, or whatever.

It was not inferred, but please don't put me in that group. I really enjoy sharing the excitement of the Model S, and am very quick to put those interested behind the wheel.

Some of the issues people have pointed out with CHAdeMO and Tesla's taking them over are already regulated with the QC system here in DFW.

1) Charging is not free and you have to be part of a monthly plan. If a tesla owner pays for that, then they have every right to use it. We don't have free QCs at dealerships or anything.

2) The company has a 1 hour time limit on CHAdeMO use. If your car is connected for more than 1 hour you get charged a penalty fee. Yes, a Tesla could just end the session, pull away (there are pressure plates next to the station) and come around and charge again, but its still a nice setup to deter people leaving the car there - especially if there is a line.

I know I have come close to the 1 hour - car almost completely dead (when battery was new) and I needed a full charge to make it home. Sometimes it happens. But a 1 hour charge on a Telsa (assuming its all in the lower end of hte battery) gets them enough to travel around our spread out region plenty. So if a tesla wants to use them - fine by me, especially if they need it. They pay into the company, which in turn will build more. Finally, it really helps support the EV revolution in general. If these stations just sit idle or have little use, thats more justification for them not being needed. I don't think anyone wants less support for plug-ins. Station use just shows that plug-ins are alive, well, and growing. Bring it!

evnow said:
ebill3 said:
Well, as I tried to point out earlier, I helped pay for our CHAdeMOs, and I paid for my Superchargers, but you did not pay for my Superchargers.

ps : When they first announced that the 40 kWh models won't get supercharging, there were some heated threads on TMC. Quite a few specifically stated that they are happy 40 kWh models won't "hog" the supercharger network. They definitely don't want the hoi polloi that drive Leaf to be anywhere near superchargers. I guess those are the ones who are status conscious and are seeking exclusivity.

I drive a leaf and am waiting for the model E to be released. I love the model S but it's too big! I like smaller cars. Now this statement above, I can understand because with the smaller range, these cars would be the most common car using the chargers and would be keeping the others waiting for an open charger. At some point I would love the supercharges to be at 50 mile intervals on the interstates and every evacuation route along the coasts.

Well, at 1K, I'm not all that sure I'll spring for the adapter. Right now I can easily get to CA with Superchargers and the Roadster to S adapter. I am now spending the night at Omak WA, and the Tesla was sucking up free juice at a CS-90 (42 mph) in the hotel parking lot. I moved the car, because the EVSE is in a rather dark and remote spot of the area.

Tomorrow, I'll get back on the EVSE, finish the charge and pre-heat (going down to the 30s tonight) while having breakfast, and then head on up to Canada for more free CS-90s.

I think the mistake people are making here is thinking that the adapter is for consumers and not providers of quick chargers. For a small percentage of what they've already laid out, QC owners can double or triple their users.

coolfilmaker said:
I think the mistake people are making here is thinking that the adapter is for consumers and not providers of quick chargers. For a small percentage of what they've already laid out, QC owners can double or triple their users.

It certainly could be used by the charging station operators, but since they can't hardly make any money as it is with their current business model, I doubt they'd be purchasing these adapters to have at their stations...

I put my name on the Tesla waiting list to get one as soon as they're available....It will really help with some upcoming road trip ideas we have in mind...And I promise to play nice at the Chademo charging stations with my plugin time.....

Randy

I just think chademo users must be happy tesla chose their standard to make an adaptor for, and not an other!
This shows that CHADEMO is viable and a good standard!
This will also stimulate chargenetwork- and bussines-owners to invest more in installing CHADEMO-chargers!
The pie just got even bigger! ;-)

And how to make a business-model about charging, is worth a thread on its own!

GeekEV said:
I don't think you can really go there. Tesla has paid back the loan in its entirety WITH penalties for early repayment. Not only did you not contribute, in the strictest sense, you MADE MONEY on the deal. :roll:
Not really. When someone gives a loan when no one else is giving at a low rate - it is a subsidy. In a fledging company like Tesla, it can make the difference between operating and closing.

If the government were to get back all the money they put in to GM - doesn't mean the tax payers didn't help GM.

jcstp said:
I just think chademo users must be happy tesla chose their standard to make an adaptor for, and not an other! This shows that CHADEMO is viable and a good standard! This will also stimulate chargenetwork- and bussines-owners to invest more in installing CHADEMO-chargers! The pie just got even bigger! ;-) And how to make a business-model about charging, is worth a thread on its own!
You are a little confused. Tesla is compatible with the SAE standard. Here is a picture of their (pass through) adapter to the J1772. When there are enough CCS/Combo chargers out there for the i3 or spark Telsa will create one and it will certainly be less than $1000. I may buy both depending where I'm going.

edatoakrun said:
TomT said:
My understanding is that the protocols and communication mechanisms for Tesla and Chademo are quite similar and thus it was not that hard to do... However, SAE is very different for both and thus not likely to be nearly as easy (or cheap) to do...
I believe you have that backwards, as Tesla has claimed its DC protocol was based on SAE, which was under development at the time.But someone with more familiarity with the differences between Tesla/SAE DC charging might know of some technical barrier I am unaware of.
Yes TomT had it backwards. As a comparison here is the Tesla to J1772 adapter. Just the short black piece.
img_0025.jpg

attachment.php

Looking at the photo, and the Tesla S being such a huge car with an incompatable charge port location, it might prove difficult to maneuver it to use some or many of the existing CHAdeMO chargers.

Anyone else had the experience of having the dual-cable blinks not reach their LEAF CHAdeMO port, unless parked directly in front of the short cable?

scottf200 said:
For those following this. They have a new picture. Not sure when it showed up (perhaps it's been posted already).

http://shop.teslamotors.com/products/chademo-adapter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

chademo-adapter_1024x1024.jpg

scottf200 said:
For those following this. They have a new picture. Not sure when it showed up (perhaps it's been posted already).
Man, that sure looks like it puts a lot of strain on the plug... that's a lot of leverage/weight hanging there.

edatoakrun said:
... Anyone else had the experience of having the dual-cable blinks not reach their LEAF CHAdeMO port, unless parked directly in front of the short cable?
Yes, at the McDonalds in Riverside. the Blink is on an island between two spaces, so that you HAVE to back a LEAF in. If you don't park within about 4 inches of the curb and very even with the cable in the left hand space, it won't reach. It's tricky because it seemed to go in, but had too much strain to lock properly. I ended up trying a couple of time before giving up and moving the car. It's not a problem in the right hand space because the LEAF CHAdeMO port is offset and closer to the Blink in that case.

A Tesla would have to park nose-in and could probably only use the right hand space. Even then it might have problems with the depth of the space.

In the usual Blink arrangement a Tesla will have to back in, and will may not be able to use the right hand space.

userUpload.jpg

drees said:
scottf200 said:
Man, that sure looks like it puts a lot of strain on the plug... that's a lot of leverage/weight hanging there.

I'd be much more concerned about the application of Murphy's Law RE someone walking into the rigid (or does the adapter integrate a short flexible cable?) projection of the combined CHAdeMO charge plug/Tesla adapter.

<edit, looks like it does:

http://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/model-s/products/chademo-adapter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; >

I expect Tesla designed the adapter to be the weak point structurally, to avoid damage to the S's Tesla port.

Yep, I typed the opposite of what I was thinking! :oops:

edatoakrun said:
TomT said:
My understanding is that the protocols and communication mechanisms for Tesla and Chademo are quite similar and thus it was not that hard to do... However, SAE is very different for both and thus not likely to be nearly as easy (or cheap) to do...
I believe you have that backwards, as Tesla has claimed its DC protocol was based on SAE, which was under development at the time.

Tesla chademo adapter allowing > 50kW per this video (obviously station would have to provide > 50kW too).

Calvin Klesmith via Google
EpicEVTrip PlugShare is on there last leg of the 12K cross country trip, met up with them in La Crosse WI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwGEe1s4wT4#t=75" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwGEe1s4wT4#t=75[/youtube]

It's (almost) here:

The Tesla Model S to CHAdeMO adapter will go on sale this month, promises Jerome Guillen, Tesla’s vice-president of worldwide sales and service.

That promise was made by Guillen at the opening of Tesla’s store in Montreal last month and confirmed again just days ago at the 2015 NAIAS.

Tesla has quietly been shipping the CHAdeMO adapter out to beta testers for quite awhile now, but within the next few days or couple of weeks, all Model S owners will be able to order the CHAdeMO adapter directly from Tesla’s store for $450.

The Downside To CHAdeMO Adapter Availability?

As more and more Model S owners get the CHAdeMO adapter, lines will become longer at some of the already-overcrowded CHAdeMO chargers...

http://insideevs.com/teslas-jerome-guillen-promises-january-arrival-model-s-chademo-adapter/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tesla's policy RE "public" charging.

What's ours, is ours.

What's yours, we share...

Back