Capacity Loss on 2011-2012 LEAFs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry for the late response on the 1001 LEAF, but the EVSE included with that car is one of the recalled Chevy Volt 120V EVSEs. Those EVSEs should not be used, as they were recalled as a shock/fire hazard. The new replacement Chevy Volt EVSEs have a black cord. No doubt somebody took the LEAF EVSE (maybe it was upgraded), and the dealer found a discarded or "extra" Volt EVSE and added it to this used LEAF to add "charging cable included."

Leafer77 said:
Leafer77 said:
Leafer77 said:
I lost my first bar. I expected some degradation in capacity, so my driving habits have not been impacted. I did report this issue to the Nissan dealer and was told this is expected.

Not sure how to add this to the spreadsheet:

Car Details:

Silver Nissan Leaf 2011
Date car purchased: 5/31/2011
Date bar disappeared: 8/24/2012
Mile's when bar disappeared: 21,085

Environment:

- San Diego Coastal and Inland climate (60's - 90's).

Car Charging info:

- 1 month of 100% charging via L2, thereafter 80% L2.
- (5/31 - 2/1) Nightly charge, except weekends where it typically charged just once for the entire weekend.
- (2/2 - Present) Charge twice a day 80% L2. Night and when I arrive to work.
- Garaged at home and uncovered at work.

MISC Info:

- Turtled once, but made it to an outlet.
- Mostly highway driving 55mph - 65mph.
- 4.5 KWH
- Manufactured Date: 4/11

Lost my second bar: 7/8/2013.
Mileage: 36,360
Still performing a L2 charge twice a day 80% L2. Night and when I arrive to work.

Lost my third bar: 6/13/2014.
Mileage: 52,109
Performing a L2 charge twice a day to %100. Once in at 1:10am and at work.

I didn't expect to lose this third bar until 60,000+, so I'm convinced it has more to do with heat causing the battery to degrade. The more often you charge to %100 the hotter the battery. Luckily, my commute is only 60 miles total, but I don't appreciate the stress of whether I'm going to make it or choosing between running the A/C.

I have my battery test coming up this weekend. I'll try to remember to post the results.

The test cost was almost $100 and provided meaningless information. My test results were 5 stars for everything again. According to Nissan Escondido, my battery is degrading as expected. I disagree with their assessment and conclusion. The battery should not have degraded as quickly and severely as it has, especially in the climate and conditions I wrote about above.

In my opinion, as an early adopter, a recall should be made by Nissan for all 2011 Leaf batteries based on accelerated battery capacity loss I am experiencing and what others have reported.

Leafer77 said:
The test cost was almost $100 and provided meaningless information. My test results were 5 stars for everything again. According to Nissan Escondido, my battery is degrading as expected.
Boy did you get taken (assuming that amount didn't cover anything else)! I paid $49 for 3rd annual battery check, could have gotten it for $29 at another dealer but Downtown L.A. Nissan was more convenient.

Stoaty said:
Leafer77 said:
The test cost was almost $100 and provided meaningless information. My test results were 5 stars for everything again. According to Nissan Escondido, my battery is degrading as expected.
Boy did you get taken (assuming that amount didn't cover anything else)! I paid $49 for 3rd annual battery check, could have gotten it for $29 at another dealer but Downtown L.A. Nissan was more convenient.

This is the first annual battery check I've had to pay for. No other work was performed. I questioned the cost of the charge as well, but they wouldn't budge.

mwalsh said:
mwalsh said:
Bar 10 gone as of this morning. AHr=47.17. Mileage 44,564.
No longer aware of how to add data to the Wiki. Could someone please advise or add me to the three bar loser list?
Does this mean that you will loose the 4th bar at 60,100 miles ?

Leafer77 said:
This is the first annual battery check I've had to pay for. No other work was performed. I questioned the cost of the charge as well, but they wouldn't budge.
I would look for another dealer to service the Leaf. Wonder what they would charge for a Lizard Battery--$11,000 plus a $3,000 installation charge??? Remember that the annual battery checks (after the first two free ones) can be priced however the dealer wants. Same thing with the Lizard Battery. It has an MSRP of $6,500 (minus $1,000 credit for the core, which must be returned), but dealers can charge whatever they want.

mwalsh said:
mwalsh said:
Bar 10 gone as of this morning. AHr=47.17. Mileage 44,564.
No longer aware of how to add data to the Wiki. Could someone please advise or add me to the three bar loser list?
I just lost bar #3 at 53,171 miles on 08/27/14. Stats on that date: GIDs=204, AHr=47.33, Hx=51.37, SOH=72, QCs=38.

I too don't see how to add data to the Wiki page, so if an editor could add my data, I'd appreciate it.

Third summer in GA finally got my first bar today... 2012 SL

30,360 miles, AHr=55.52, 228 GIDs

I'm taking a good care of it but I'm now afraid I'm not losing fast enough to get the new battery within the next two years... However, it still had 260 GIDs earlier this year, so it looks like the degradation might be picking up speed?

Lost my third bar yesterday. It is now a race to see if I can loose the fourth bar before I turn the car in in March... To hasten the demise of the fourth, I have turned off the charge timer and will now charge to 100% each time (I often need most of a 100% charge these days anyway with my current reduced range)...

TomT said:
Lost my third bar yesterday. It is now a race to see if I can loose the fourth bar before I turn the car in in March... To hasten the demise of the fourth, I have turned off the charge timer and will now charge to 100% each time (I pretty much need most of the 100% charge these days anyway with my current range)...

Took me a year of 100% charges and 20000 miles to lose my second bar. Your car seem to be somewhat ahead of mine in terms of rate of battery degradation, but it's not very likely you'll lose your 4th bar before March, especially considering the cooler winter weather ahead of us.

Valdemar said:
TomT said:
Lost my third bar yesterday. It is now a race to see if I can loose the fourth bar before I turn the car in in March... To hasten the demise of the fourth, I have turned off the charge timer and will now charge to 100% each time (I pretty much need most of the 100% charge these days anyway with my current range)...

Took me a year of 100% charges and 20000 miles to lose my second bar. Your car seem to be somewhat ahead of mine in terms of rate of battery degradation, but it's not very likely you'll lose your 4th bar before March, especially considering the cooler winter weather ahead of us.
Maybe, but Tom's going to be doing deep discharges on a regular basis now, so he may yet make it.

GRA said:
Maybe, but Tom's going to be doing deep discharges on a regular basis now, so he may yet make it.

He may, but not just from his daily charge to 100% for regular commute. This will probably take some aggressive driving, multiple daily QC sessions, and leaving the car fully charged for as long as possible. My June 5 stats are AHr=51.50, SOH=78%, Hx=60.20%, 54357m, 215 [email protected]%SOC, and Sep 5 AHr=49.98, SOH=76%, Hx=56.65%, 59167m [email protected]%SOC, and 42 QC/180 L2 sessions in between. Most of the weekdays I charge to 100% on the end of charge timer and arrive home at VLBW, sometimes below, but never turtled. I don't think I'm going to be down 3 bars before next spring, and I lost my 2nd bar last May.

Valdemar said:
leaving the car fully charged for as long as possible
Doesn't that violate the warranty?

Although it would be nice to benefit from the capacity warranty, I'm not going to go out of my way to take summer vacations with the LEAF in Palm Springs, quick charge multiple times per day, or leave the LEAF parked in the hot San Bernardino Valley. Knowing that I can simply write a check for $6K and get a new "lizard" battery any time I desire is good enough. At the same time, I'm enjoying the car more - if I feel like flooring it to pass someone while climbing a steep hill, I do so.

Back