Cabin Microfilter Maintenance

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
QueenBee said:
planet4ever said:
Personally I'm more interested in quality than in saving a few dollars when it comes to microfilters.

Same here but unfortunately I wasn't impressed with the technical specs of any of them (lack of information)

To each their own. The filters I ordered state "OEM Quality" or above and that's good enough for me. Considering my previous cars didn't even have filters, I'm happy with something, even it is is 0.1 micron off of OEM - like I'll know ;)

FWIW regarding Rock Auto, I decided not to buy from them because their final checkout page that is where you type in your credit card is not secure. Also, they have a less than favorable rating on resellerratings.com. Whereas, Auto Parts Warehouse has a much better rating.

I'm sure either will be fine but just sharing my experience.

QueenBee said:
ztanos said:
My Saturn has no internal filter, so how much dust and pollen and bacteria have I inhaled over the last 12 years? :lol: My immune system won't know what to do.

It must not have AC?

Blows cold with no problem. But according to every website and manual I have ever had for the car there isn't a cabin filter. I do get the condenser musk for a few minutes if I don't clean the unit though :evil: .

ztanos said:
QueenBee said:
ztanos said:
My Saturn has no internal filter, so how much dust and pollen and bacteria have I inhaled over the last 12 years? :lol: My immune system won't know what to do.

It must not have AC?

Blows cold with no problem. But according to every website and manual I have ever had for the car there isn't a cabin filter. I do get the condenser musk for a few minutes if I don't clean the unit though :evil: .

That's pretty crazy. With the kind of stuff I've seen in my cabin filters over the years it seems like the evaporator and heating coil would get pretty dirty. I guess at least on the AC side there might be some cleaning action from the water condensing :)

Add me to those too stubborn to remove the glove box. I also almost did it without removing the panel below the glove box. The blasted thing resisted all efforts for about five minutes, and then while I was trying to squeeze my hand up from below to help extricate the filter, the panel suddenly popped half-way off!?! I finished pulling the panel and proceeded to pull the filter out through the glove box access port with my right hand while squishing/guiding it from below with my left hand. Anyone who can get in a position to get filter debris in their eyes is certainly less, er, "stocky" than I am and infinitely more flexible.
Although my filter wasn't too grungy, I replaced it with a "TYC 800138P Nissan Cube Replacement Cabin Air Filter" ($9.45 w/free shipping. This seems to be a good price for "quantity 1" purchases of filters and since I am not a hoarder (my goal is to own one of everything :lol: ), this was my best option.

Skip removing the glove box ;) That step isn't necessary.

Removal of the glove box left side interior panel and under the glove box/firewall panel is all that is necessary to do the filter replacement. It's not that difficult a task.

garygid said:
To me, it looks like the bottom tab (of the filter-slot cover) needs to be lifted up, not pulled down.

Am I wrong ... again?
---------------------------------------
Yup, you are wrong ;)

Bottom of filter oval cover-tab pulled down by only 1/16" max. You don't want to stress the plastic. It
is very brittle. It doesn't take much to ruin it. Don't force it. Gentle effort needed.

Presumably one also pulls out, right?

If Down 1/16 inch gently and Out (gently?) is the answer,
why is it so difficult?

Is the tab difficult to grasp?

With a pull-string attached to the lower tab, does one pull the string out, or down, or both?

Difficulty is in your body positon to install the filter.

I wouldn't use a pull string for next time. Too much pulling will stretch and stress the bottom tab. I used a thin flat head screw driver at the bottom of the tab to slightly open up the tab to release it. So, slight down and then away from the filter opening.

It really isn't that difficult to do the filter replacement. Worst part of the job is the weird body contortion to be able to get to the filter cover. It is located at the fire wall. Anyone with neck, back, or knee issues shouldn't attempt it.

Time needed to do this job: 10-20 minutes. (No need to remove the glove box)

Time to do on a 2010 Honda Fit: 2 minutes. Honda really made it easy :D

Just did my air filter at 12500 miles. It wasn't very soiled and appeared that it could have reasonably lasted twice that time. I keep the car garaged and away from trees when parked outside.

I decided to go with the OEM filter from nissanraceshop (fontana nissan internet page). It was $20 plus $11 for fedex ground. Shipping was pricey but it showed up in the OEM box on my doorstep in two days.

I had no trouble at all with the changeout by just unsnapping the two access panels inside and under the glovebox. A small flashlight helps you see what's where. The white plastic filter cover came off easily when I pulled its bottom tang down slightly with my fingertip. The whole job took less than ten minutes, thanks to all the posts on this thread so far.

mwalsh said:
ztanos said:
I do get the condenser musk for a few minutes if I don't clean the unit though.

I don't want ANY Musk when it comes to my electric vehicles.

Not even of the Elon variety? :lol:

Well no, nobody would want their car to smell like funk for less than 30 seconds after turning on their a/c. This is why car companies added internal air filters.

If this does ever happen though, you can get a product that will fix it for you.

http://www.airsept.com/index.php?loadmod=cool" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

OK, so I did my filter tonight, and I did in the stupid tab on the cover.

Right now duct tape is doing the job of holding everything together, and I will probably leave it there until next time. But has anyone identified the part number for that cover and found an online source? I don't relish going back to the dealer I told not to replace the filter on my behalf hat in hand, needing a replacement cover...

FWIW I was able to locally source an ATP brand "premium" filter with activated carbon for $11.95.

stevewa said:

Right now duct tape is doing the job of holding everything together, and I will probably leave it there until next time. But has anyone identified the part number for that cover and found an online source? I don't relish going back to the dealer I told not to replace the filter on my behalf hat in hand, needing a replacement cover...

FWIW I was able to locally source an ATP brand "premium" filter with activated carbon for $11.95.

Answering my own post, the part is available via the Nissan website and is about $7.

stevewa said:
stevewa said:

Answering my own post, the part is available via the Nissan website and is about $7.

Nice, I need one too. I did the same thing--actually broken it trying to put the cover back on. That said, it seems to be remarkably secure using just the top tab. Will get another and replace it next time.

I started without removing the glove box, but gave up. For me, removing the box saved a lot of cuss words for use another time.

Color me cheap. The filter looked pretty pristine to me, so a a few shakes and a wave of the vacuum took care of it.

Back