Cabin Microfilter Maintenance

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I replaced the filter based on the info posted here - thanks!

One thing that is not clear is that the bottom tab of the white filter cover is not visible and even difficult to reach because a pipe is pushing up against it. You can feel the end of the tab by pushing your finger between the pipe and the bottom of the white filter cover but it is near impossible to reach the end of the tab and be able to pull down on it to get the cover off.

Eventually I made a noose out of string, placed it on the tip of my finger and pushed it over the tab. Then I just pulled the string and it came right off. I left the string on the tab so it would be much easier next time as others have done.

The filter was filthy after 19,000 miles in SD's clean air, so I agree with Nissan's recommendation to change the filter every 15,000 miles.

garygid said:
Is it easy to access the micro-filter that is used to filter the cabin air?

There is no replacement procedure described in the Owner's Manual. Section 4-12 just says the dealer does it. . . . . . snip . . . .
kinda funny . . . a 300+ page manual ... just to say in essence, "we need the money ... bring it in" :lol:
I only dusted ours off when I 1st looked at the filter during year 1. This time I bought one on e-bay ... $9. Same with our Lexus SUV. The Lexus dealar wanted to hit us for $90 to do the filter.
wow. I wonder if Nissan does the same kind of fleecing for the same basic 11 minute job.

Just an interesting fact here: on the Volt, GM doesn't include a cabin filter with the car, but the design has a place for a cabin filter if owners want to buy one and put it in.

garygid said:
The link in the wiki for the plastic retainer thing just
comes back to this thread.

A part number would be very useful, please.
Indeed! Does anyone have that part number or a more specific link to the Nissan web site?

We're planning a cabin air filter replacement clinic for this Saturday's SF BayLeaf meeting and I'd like to order at least one of these to have on hand in case someone breaks one.

Also, what's the best recommendation for ordering filters (brand, part number and URL please)? I believe the Leaf filter is not the same as the Juke or Altima; I was unable to find a carbon version of the Leaf filter (on Amazon anyway).

EDIT: I ordered one each of the ATP, TYC, and WIX filters from Amazon and will update the MNL wiki with additional information and links after the clinic on Saturday.

hill said:
garygid said:
Is it easy to access the micro-filter that is used to filter the cabin air?

There is no replacement procedure described in the Owner's Manual. Section 4-12 just says the dealer does it. . . . . . snip . . . .
kinda funny . . . a 300+ page manual ... just to say in essence, "we need the money ... bring it in" :lol:
I only dusted ours off when I 1st looked at the filter during year 1. This time I bought one on e-bay ... $9. Same with our Lexus SUV. The Lexus dealar wanted to hit us for $90 to do the filter.
wow. I wonder if Nissan does the same kind of fleecing for the same basic 11 minute job.

oh you can bet on it! standard up charge for ANY service dept. brand name not important here!

Using the information on this site I changed the cabin filter without much problem. The local dealer charges about $90. I bought the WIX filter at O'Reily's for about $26 and completed the swap out in about 1/2 hour. We garage our Leaf and there is not much dust in the Pacific NW. The old filter could have easily gone another year.

I have a question about tire rotation. Details about tire changing such as lift points/jack provisions are not in the manual. It sounds like there is a low pressure warning system if rims are moved. My guess is I am missing some information as this shouldn't be a high tech issue. Help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Pat

Turnover said:
...I have a question about tire rotation. Details about tire changing such as lift points/jack provisions are not in the manual. It sounds like there is a low pressure warning system if rims are moved. My guess is I am missing some information as this shouldn't be a high tech issue. Help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Pat
This may help: Jacking up a LEAF.

The tire pressure sensors are not specific to a tire location, so rotating the tires will have no effect on the system. However, using additional wheels that don't have TPS will lead to a tire caution symbol on the dash. If there's a way to turn that off, I'm not aware of it.

Thanks. I'll see if my Subaru jack works.

Another observation. Our glove box never had a light. I didn't see any wiring or light when I took it out to change the micro filter either. Anyone else run into this?

From other info on this site, I bought a jack for an '02-'10 Altima at Spauldings in Spokane. $18 with handle in a styrofoam holder. It has the slot that perfectly fits the Leaf's jack points. The holder wouldn't fit in the Leaf's jack/compressor area, so I wrapped it in a towel. Also bought a plug kit. Now I can actually REMOVE a tire, plug it, and air it up on the road, like any car should be..........

voganni said:
From other info on this site, I bought a jack for an '02-'10 Altima at Spauldings in Spokane. $18 with handle in a styrofoam holder. It has the slot that perfectly fits the Leaf's jack points. The holder wouldn't fit in the Leaf's jack/compressor area, so I wrapped it in a towel. Also bought a plug kit. Now I can actually REMOVE a tire, plug it, and air it up on the road, like any car should be..........

Thanks that is helpful Voganni!

< $9 on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/TYC-800138P-Nissan-Replacement-Filter/dp/B0041TRSHY/ref=au_as_r?ie=UTF8&Make=Nissan%7C67&Model=Leaf%7C16223&Year=2013%7C2013&carId=005&n=15684181&s=automotive&vehicleType=5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Doing it this way should stop the clip breakage:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=13113&p=359724#p359724" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I just had to remove the fan in my 2013 S; thanks for the glove compartment tutorial.

Be aware that my filer cover was not white, like in the pictures, but black. Otherwise it seemed the same, though I did not have to remove it. If you can't find that white cover, look for a black one.

Just asking here. Is it possible to warm up that nasty little fragile clip with a hair dryer or heat gun prior to getting jiggy with it to ward off the "u-breaky gremlin"? Can you angle in the air from what you have experienced?

Curious.....

voganni said:

FWIW I had no problem putting in a plug with the tire on the car, though it was a front tire so I could turn the wheel. I was close to home but wanted to try out the plugs vs having someone grab my spare from home.

Changed the filter for the first time in the '15. Took a while before I discovered that the plastic cover is black now. They still don't make it easy. So much easier in our Honda. But, managed to do it without taking out the glove box. Was dirty enough. Local dealers want $100, but already spent it elsewhere.

Latest posts

Back