CA rebate may be reduced to $2000 after June 30th

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theds

It has been proposed to reduce the CA BEV rebate to $2000 (from the current $2500) for Fiscal Year 2014-2015, which starts on July 1, 2014.

CA ARB will consider the funding plan on June 26. More info here

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aqip/fundplan/fundplan.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like the wait list gets paid the existing $2,500 (p34)
FCEVs rebate to start at $5,000 (p37,38)
Rejected options (p38) such as income and msrp limits was also interesting.

Another change would be to limit a individual to receive only two rebates in life time, instead of per funding year. There is an exemption for receiving FCEV rebate. (p. 39)

Some other interesting stuff in the details. The Fiat 500e ranked 3rd in number of rebates issued to BEVs at 2,952, behind the LEAF and Model S (pg. 31). The proposed reduction to $1,000 from $1,500 (a 33% decrease, more than for PEVs) is justified by "the stronger growth in the PHEV market" (pg. 36).

The staff is proposing to limit lifetime rebates to two for individuals, retroactive. Tony better get his Model S soon! :lol: However, they're also proposing an exemption for anyone who wants to upgrade to an FCEV but has otherwise maxed out their rebates (pg. 39). Also, as a contingency measure to keep from running out of money, they suggest giving the Executive Officer "the ability to reduce or eliminate rebates for some PHEVs based on all-electric range, if necessary, to help align expected demand with remaining budgetary constraints" (pg. 40). Yeah, we're looking at you, Toyota!

Discussion and comments relating to a Long-Term Plan, pgs. 40-44.

I agree that it makes sense to reduce the subsidy now. I do wish they'd decided to put a cap on the max price (not MSRP) of the cars. If it were me, I'd put it at $35k for the full amount, subtracting $1 for every dollar above that, and make it on the out-the-door price less govt. taxes and fees. If you base a cap on MSRP, we'd soon see $10,000 delivery charges, $1,000 doc fees and similar games.

Back