California Rebate Requirement

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joetesta

I leased my Leaf in April 2012 and at the time I was told that in order to get the California rebate I must retain the vehicle for a minimum of 39 months.

Now the dealership (First Nissan in Simi Valley) is calling and scheduling me for an inspection and trade-in talk. I told them that I wouldn't mind trading for a newer Leaf especially if there's any way I can decrease my monthly lease from $299, but I recalled that I must keep the vehicle for 39 months or I might need to give back the rebate. They told me "things have changed" and "it's up to the manager's discretion". I'm pretty sure this is untrue and they are just going to waste even more of my time in person than they already have on the phone because they want to move cars. But maybe there is an early-out for California rebate leasers? Anyone have any insight on this?

thanks!

I can't find the document from when I leased the car, but the current California rebate rules state (p.11)
{ C. VEHICLE PURCHASER OR LESSEE DUTIES AND REQUIREMENTS }

f. Retain ownership of the vehicle in California for a minimum of 36 consecutive months immediately after the vehicle purchase or lease date (only rental and car
share vehicles are eligible for a reduced ownership provision if retained in California for a minimum of twelve consecutive months but less than 36 consecutive months).
g. Rebate recipients who do not retain the eligible vehicle for the full 36-month ownership or lease period will be required to reimburse ARB all or part of the
original rebate amount. See Section C(3)
i. Vehicle purchasers or lessee are required to notify the Administrator, by calling (866) 984-2532 or email [email protected], to seek approval for early
termination of vehicle ownership in advance of intent to sell or terminate a lease prior to the required 36 month ownership period.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aqip/cvrp/fy1314_cvrp_implementation_manual_final.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Btw, I have yet to see someone telling they had to pay the prorated amount back. Seems people who "left" the program early prefer to just lay low.

Back