Bad Power Distribution Module? Check In Here

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! Just a note of sympathy for you on this issue. If you're left holding the bag on this, Nissan is really not acting appropriately nor even in their own best interests. I'm well aware of Blink's history, but to blame you for using a Blink is very poor form for Nissan, especially in the absence of any warnings from Nissan or, as you've said, no exclusions in the warranty.

I'll be watching this closely and rooting for you.

Thanks, I'm crossing my fingers! Hoping to get another update Wednesday.

Happy to say that Nissan is stepping up and taking care of the repair. I will be dumping my Blink and getting a Nissan branded AeroVironment EVSE instead.

I have Leaf for month . I am using nissan tril;e charger all the time.
I tried to charge at charge point station twice, both times it charged roughly for 45 min and stopped charging.(I thought its limit for free charging)
When i start the car it showed ev system warning. If i switch off and restart its gone.
yesterday it stopped in the middle of night with my trickle charger, i plugged it in the morning again it stopped charging at 11 bars. usually i charge 100% since i drive 65 miles on single charge to work.

Booked appointment with Dealer for this thursday.
Need to see what happens

By the way if u send a climate control on or charge update, charging starts again... looks like its leaf issue

I just went to the dealer for another issue and they said NTB13-098 was due. Is this related?

Since NTB13-069 my charging has been better. Anyone have full details on NTB13-098 ?

kevinleaf said:
Anyone have full details on NTB13-098 ?
Nope. Unfortunately, I don't see it at http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/Knowledgebase.html?catid=783#.UqAYLiektRA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, yet.

A Leaf tech at https://www.facebook.com/groups/seattlenissanleaf/permalink/676297405735033/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; answered:
It is NTB13-098 it seems to be a update from the older tsb. Verne Willis The reprogram changes the charge rate if the PDM see's a high temperature. It wasn't to big of a problem here but in warmer climates there was a much higher failure rate. The PDM used to cancel the charge when the high temps occurred. Now it just slows charge rate and increases cooling pump duty cycle.
November 29 at 9:35am

It has been awhile since I checked in but I got a reminder in the mail today. Today Nissan sent me a letter to take my vehicle in to get the software update. Somewhere they didn't see that my car was in their shop for over 3 weeks getting a new module. I may call the dealer to double check though.

LasPaled said:
It has been awhile since I checked in but I got a reminder in the mail today. Today Nissan sent me a letter to take my vehicle in to get the software update.

I got a letter today as well. Through 5,000 miles I have never had a problem charging.

I wasn't following this thread, because I thought they had corrected this problem before the first Canada-bound MY13's were built in June.

It says that the PDM may falsely detect an error when subjected to high internal temperatures. Well, I didn't have any issues in the Summer, so I don't expect ones in the near future. The external temperature today was 0°F and the battery pack started off at 9°F.

Here's the letter, I'm a bit surprised there's no reference number to supply the dealer's service department.

IfK96Gt.jpg

Berlino said:
LasPaled said:
It has been awhile since I checked in but I got a reminder in the mail today. Today Nissan sent me a letter to take my vehicle in to get the software update.

I got a letter today as well. Through 5,000 miles I have never had a problem charging.

I wasn't following this thread, because I thought they had corrected this problem before the first Canada-bound MY13's were built in June.

It says that the PDM may falsely detect an error when subjected to high internal temperatures. Well, I didn't have any issues in the Summer, so I don't expect ones in the near future. The external temperature today was 0°F and the battery pack started off at 9°F.

Here's the letter, I'm a bit surprised there's no reference number to supply the dealer's service department.
I see that you are in Canada, I wonder if NissanUSA is doing the same recall/upgrade

apvbguy said:
Berlino said:
LasPaled said:

I wasn't following this thread, because I thought they had corrected this problem before the first
I see that you are in Canada, I wonder if NissanUSA is doing the same recall/upgrade

About 3 weeks ago my Leaf S started aborting charges using my home Aero L2 EVSE. Still charged fine with my upgraded Nissan portable charge cable. Took it to dealer, they said they were just notified of a recall, and that I needed the reprogramming done. Has worked fine since, but still have not received a letter telling me I need the reprogramming done.

A little puzzling about how the PDM would get hot, the problem started when daytime temps were in the 60s and nighttime temps in the 35-45 range.

apvbguy said:

If the issue is isolated to Smyrna LEAFs manufactured before September (just a guess for the date) there are less than 200 vehicles impacted in Canada.

With much higher numbers to deal with, Nissan USA may have decided to only address the issue during regularly scheduled service checks, or as problems arise.

Berlino said:
With much higher numbers to deal with, Nissan USA may have decided to only address the issue during regularly scheduled service checks, or as problems arise.
That is a bit strange, if the information reported here is correct that vehicles that failed to get the software correction in time ultimately resulted in complete failure of the PDM :?: Software correction is relatively cheap. Complete PDM replacement is costly :?: :?: :?:

apvbguy said:
Today, I received a similar notice via snail mail. So yes, the US arm is doing it. It didn't mention any TSB number (e.g. NTB13-098) but I presume NTB13-098 is it.
stjohnh said:
A little puzzling about how the PDM would get hot, the problem started when daytime temps were in the 60s and nighttime temps in the 35-45 range.
If you've felt the whole PDM stack when charging for a few hours at 208+ volts, the whole stack gets very warm. It's not hot enough to burn you, but it's surprisingly hot.

At http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=329929#p329929" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, I mentioned I needed NTB13-069 in October 2013 w/my car being charged in a garage under my work where it doesn't get hot. Had no problems charging my Leaf during hotter months in the same place until I hit the symptoms described by the TSB in October.

I purchased my 2013 LEAF SL late February. Over 16,000 miles driven. Five days a week I cycle the battery from 100% to 8-12%. I charge every night using the 30amp 240v GE WattStation. I just received my notice for a PDM software upgrade. Sounds like most of you are having problems after just a couple thousand miles. I'll probably schedule a maintenance soon.

I had my Leaf serviced for a charging problem that was fixed with a software update in October. I took the notice I received to my dealer to see if I needed the newer update. He told me the current update came out in late October so I do need it.

I have a Tuesday morning apt for the update.

GlennD said:
I had my Leaf serviced for a charging problem that was fixed with a software update in October. I took the notice I received to my dealer to see if I needed the newer update. He told me the current update came out in late October so I do need it.

Good info! I had my PDM replaced and the software upgrade in July and did not realize that this is a newer update. I will make an appt. as well!

I got the same notice and didn't see any number on it, but when I called the dealer they had me look more closely. On the outside of the folded card, off to the right of where it says PLEASE DELIVER TO REGISTERED OWNER, is P3259.

So that's what we should call this one. My car was in the shop two weeks ago for a different problem, and they added a note:
Performed P3259 campaign. No opt code in system yet.

Ray

I took my car in for other issues and they noted P3259 on the work order as I requested. Got a call back that the software updated did not apply to my car. I had the PDU flashed earlier in the summer when it stopped charging working under hot conditions.

got recall for p3259 pdm reprogram ntb13-098 today, my car was charging at 75% max, hope that will fix the issue, I'll let you know if I can't make my 115 miles commute today ;-)

TimLee said:
Berlino said:
That is a bit strange, if the information reported here is correct that vehicles that failed to get the software correction in time ultimately resulted in complete failure of the PDM :?: Software correction is relatively cheap. Complete PDM replacement is costly :?: :?: :?:

I've only read about six of the 30 pages of this thread and was not aware of this issue causing a complete failure of the PDM. If you take the letter literally, it seems odd that this would be the case. A premature shutdown because an error is incorrectly detected shouldn't have any long-term effects. In any case, I took the letter to the dealer and they didn't think it was urgent. They even wondered if it could wait for the next time I bring the LEAF in for regularly scheduled maintenance, though I suppose this may be a sales tactic.

Berlino said:
I've only read about six of the 30 pages of this thread and was not aware of this issue causing a complete failure of the PDM. If you take the letter literally, it seems odd that this would be the case. A premature shutdown because an error is incorrectly detected shouldn't have any long-term effects. In any case, I took the letter to the dealer and they didn't think it was urgent. They even wondered if it could wait for the next time I bring the LEAF in for regularly scheduled maintenance, though I suppose this may be a sales tactic.
Somewhere back in either this thread, or perhaps a related one, was an hypothesis that the problem starts as a software malfunction, but if that isn't corrected it can eventually cause the hardware to fail. Since the PDM deals with high, and variable, voltages, I imagined a voltage spike on a resister, or something like that, but that was just my own simple-minded imagination.

Ray

Back