Bad Power Distribution Module? Check In Here

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sfiorini said:
Basically, if you have a 2013 Leaf, you will go through the PDM replacement within the first 3000 miles of usage.
I'm at 5100 and chugging along. Actually, it's more of a whirring.

Staque said:
sfiorini said:
Basically, if you have a 2013 Leaf, you will go through the PDM replacement within the first 3000 miles of usage.

I am glad to have been proved wrong. 5100 miles is still not a big number, though to be considered out of the woods. I hope you won't experience the PDM failure. I don't know how to explain the problem differently. Could it be that you had the software update to your PDM?

sfiorini said:
Staque said:
sfiorini said:

I am glad to have been proved wrong. 5100 miles is still not a big number, though to be considered out of the woods. I hope you won't experience the PDM failure. I don't know how to explain the problem differently. Could it be that you had the software update to your PDM?
There is a guy that I work with that leased one a week after I did and has had no issues at all. He even has more miles on his than I do.

sfiorini said:
Hi all, I wanted to give you an update on my 2013SL with a bad PDM.
I got the car back two weeks ago, after 2 weeks in the shop. So far so good. I have been using the car quite a lot and everything looks fine.

My understanding is that there is a software issue that causes the PDM to fail and if it fails it needs to be replaced.
From what I read in this forum, a PDM software upgrade before the failure should do it. However, as the cars are not recalled by Nissan, all the PDMs fail for the 2013 models.

Actually, not all the 2013s experience this problem and unless you do, the dealers here will not install the sw update. Mine has 4700 miles @ 6 mos. with no PDM problem.

LEAFfan said:
sfiorini said:
My understanding is that there is a software issue that causes the PDM to fail and if it fails it needs to be replaced. From what I read in this forum, a PDM software upgrade before the failure should do it. However, as the cars are not recalled by Nissan, all the PDMs fail for the 2013 models.
Actually, not all the 2013s experience this problem and unless you do, the dealers here will not install the sw update. Mine has 4700 miles @ 6 mos. with no PDM problem.
I have no inside information, so this is just a guess. Perhaps the software problem first causes the incomplete charge symptom. If you take it in right away only the software needs to be updated. If you keep using it for a while, and trying to get it to charge as much as possible, the software may then mess up the PDM hardware by overdriving some electronic components.

Ray

planet4ever said:
I have no inside information, so this is just a guess. Perhaps the software problem first causes the incomplete charge symptom. If you take it in right away only the software needs to be updated. If you keep using it for a while, and trying to get it to charge as much as possible, the software may then mess up the PDM hardware by overdriving some electronic components.

Ray
Not an unreasonable theory, but if the original software is defective, why don't they roll out the new software on all 2013 LEAFs? Unless they're concerned the new software may have some other as yet undetermined defect of its own?

TimLee said:
planet4ever said:

Ray
Not an unreasonable theory, but if the original software is defective, why don't they roll out the new software on all 2013 LEAFs? Unless they're concerned the new software may have some other as yet undetermined defect of its own?
I would assume (hope) that all new Leafs do have the new firmware.

In my case at least, it seemed to be an overheating issue. It was a hot day, was driving around and immediately started charging the car from a low SOC to 80% using L2. It seemed to overheat and quit charging. Repeated attempts failed until I put a box fan blowing under the car. Then it charged. I ended up getting the software update.
After the software update I'm tried the overheating scenario, the charger does get hot, 120+ degrees, but it charged all the way with no problem reported.

dm33 said:
I would assume (hope) that all new Leafs do have the new firmware.

In my case at least, it seemed to be an overheating issue. It was a hot day, was driving around and immediately started charging the car from a low SOC to 80% using L2. It seemed to overheat and quit charging. Repeated attempts failed until I put a box fan blowing under the car. Then it charged. I ended up getting the software update.
After the software update I'm tried the overheating scenario, the charger does get hot, 120+ degrees, but it charged all the way with no problem reported.
Others have reported dealers will NOT install the software revision until the 2013 LEAF has charging problems and has the correct fault codes. Seems highly unlikely that all new LEAFs have the new software (or it may be firmware, not a lot of difference, other than difficulty and cost to install).
You're saying the portion of the housing covering the PDM hits 120+ F while charging?
Seems awfully hot.
What was the ambient for the vehicle to reject the losses heat to?

planet4ever said:
LEAFfan said:
sfiorini said:
My understanding is that there is a software issue that causes the PDM to fail and if it fails it needs to be replaced. From what I read in this forum, a PDM software upgrade before the failure should do it. However, as the cars are not recalled by Nissan, all the PDMs fail for the 2013 models.

Ray

Thanks for the info guys. At least now we can say that the PDM has not failed in all 2013 models, although there has been a widespread issue with the PDM as we see all the reports in this thread. Also, for sure we know it's not user error or user misuse. In fact we can see that after the repair (either software, hardware or both) the issue seems to be solved. As for me, I have treated my Leaf with gloves (before and after the repair). In my case, it happened all in a sudden, during trickle charging one night at home. It just stopped charging and it never start charging again. Fortunately, there were enough miles to get to the dealer, so I did not have to call the tow truck. As said, I got the car back two weeks ago and all looks good so far (finger crossed). I sure missed my Leaf.

Hi Fellow Leafers! I am at 2300 miles on a 2013 Leaf. Starting 5 days ago it would only charge for about an hour at a time. I brought it to the dealer this morning, where I was told that one other Leaf had such a problem, and reprogramming the PDM solved the problem. Good to see here in the forum that I am not alone in having this issue. The service person said that at my dealership they have not had to replace any PDMs.

While I have your attention, I hope you will join me at National Plug-In Day on September 28-29. Details for activities across the country here: http://www.pluginday.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Well, well, well. I had my PDM replaced back in June and today it quit charging and had the warning light on. The dealer did not install the new firmware back in June, only the PDM. Looks like I'll be making another trip back to the dealer.

TimLee said:
You're saying the portion of the housing covering the PDM hits 120+ F while charging?
Seems awfully hot.
What was the ambient for the vehicle to reject the losses heat to?
Yes. Ambient was mid to upper 80s in my garage.

I took mine back to have the new VCM program flashed. It took about an hour and I was on my way.

TimLee said:
planet4ever said:

Ray

The dealers told me that if the car didn't experience the problem, then the new sw update may cause a problem that the car never had. Personally, I'm almost at 5000 miles and will be surprised if I ever experience the charging problem.

LEAFfan said:
The dealers told me that if the car didn't experience the problem, then the new sw update may cause a problem that the car never had.
That's a tough one for me to wrap my brain around. I could imagine that the software is designed for a certain tolerance in the hardware, and that some hardware units are outside that tolerance. But to get the effect your dealer claims the software update would have to be something that just shifts the expected tolerance range, thus causing some hardware units that were working perfectly to now be outside the new range the software expects. If I were designing such an update I would expand the tolerance range, not shift it, especially if there was any concern at all that a shift would take some units out of range.

Ray

I'm in the club. 2013 S, with 2300 miles. I only do 110V charging.

Anyone has good or bad experiences with Austin area Nissan dealers for this problem? Not sure which one to go.

Yep, another dealer BS answer...

planet4ever said:
LEAFfan said:
The dealers told me that if the car didn't experience the problem, then the new sw update may cause a problem that the car never had.
That's a tough one for me to wrap my brain around. I could imagine that the software is designed for a certain tolerance in the hardware, and that some hardware units are outside that tolerance. But to get the effect your dealer claims the software update would have to be something that just shifts the expected tolerance range, thus causing some hardware units that were working perfectly to now be outside the new range the software expects. If I were designing such an update I would expand the tolerance range, not shift it, especially if there was any concern at all that a shift would take some units out of range.

If you are having the issues outlined in the posts in this thread please make sure to insist on the Software Update as a first stab at a solution. If the dealer acts like they don't know what you are talking about drive to the next dealer.

Try the software update first and then insist on a PDM replacement if that solution does not work.

I feel really bad for the folks that have to endure bad service providers. Fortunately I had a competent and caring service department but it seems that it's a crap shoot for many of you.

I feel really bad for the folks that have to endure bad service providers. Fortunately I had a competent and caring service department but it seems that it's a crap shoot for many of you.

If you found a dealer that does not suck please let us know where it is.

Back