Bad Power Distribution Module? Check In Here

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dealers here were only allotted six MY13 LEAFs on average, so I didn't want to schedule the update early and risk any possible inconvenience associated with being a particular service department's guinea pig.

However, forum mention of "complete PDM failure" got me nervous, so on Monday I scheduled a service appointment for today. After leaving the keys, I was called back to the desk after fifteen minutes to be told that the dealer hadn't received the CD from Nissan, so they couldn't perform the upgrade. They re-scheduled me for mid-January, because they said they weren't sure to get their hands on it soon.

Received my update notice today, but I've had no problems charging at home which is all I do now so I'm waiting until Feb. which is the yearly battery check to have it done.

I posted the letter I received from Nissan Canada concerning a supposed need for the P3259 update.

Well, the dealership checked my LEAF today and stated that this update did not apply to my vehicle. I asked why I received the letter and they stated that Nissan [Canada] sent it to everyone, even though it didn't apply to many LEAF customers.

This seems very strange.

Berlino said:
I posted the letter I received from Nissan Canada concerning a supposed need for the P3259 update.

Well, the dealership checked my LEAF today and stated that this update did not apply to my vehicle. I asked why I received the letter and they stated that Nissan [Canada] sent it to everyone, even though it didn't apply to many LEAF customers.

This seems very strange.

What it probably means is that the lawyers are covering Nissans ass...sets...

I received the same reply after taking my car in. They actually tried the update but it didn't take. I suspect it's the same software from last summer. A couple weeks later I received the notice.

Some dealers applied the update to all cars (mine did) on their lot after I brought mine in. I suspect Nissan doesn't know 100% which cars have the update or not.

I wish we had OTA updates like Tesla.

C2theJ2theSMIT said:
I am dealing with this now. 2013 LS, under 200 miles. Car is at dealer for the second time in a week. I bought it on June 12.
Have you pointed them to TSB NTB13-098 (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=15655" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)? Also see http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=372762#p372762" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

cwerdna said:
C2theJ2theSMIT said:
I am dealing with this now. 2013 LS, under 200 miles. Car is at dealer for the second time in a week. I bought it on June 12.
Have you pointed them to TSB NTB13-098 (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=15655" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)? Also see http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=372762#p372762" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Not yet but I will tonight. It's still at the dealer and they are talking to the engineers about it now. It stopped charging while at the service department and they said the engineers need to go over the logs and decide if it gets replacement parts or not. It will take a couple of days. The tech said that my leaf is in the serial number range to already have had the PDM replaced. So it should already have a new PDM. But I'm wondering if another component is damaged.

We are using a loaner car from the dealer. And the dealer's service has been exceptional. They've done everything humanly possible to keep us happy.

I am having the same issue 2013 SL new this month less then 1000 miles. First it started with the level 2 it would stop approx 1.5 hours in to charging and would show a charging disruption error on the dash. I would attempt to charge again and it would decrease the time of charge to the point where it would shut off before i left the garage. At first I thought it was the Boshe Power Max unit I bought, called tech support and they were clear that the unit is not a "smart" unit it does what the car tells it to do. The Boshe did NOT show any error codes (solid or blinking red light). But last night it turned off before charged with the level 1 charger that plugs into the outlet. Researched on this site and found this post. I am in contact with my dealership. If they have anything useful to add I will let you all know.

I heard from the Nissan dealer today. They said that there is a hose that carries coolant to a cooling system. The cooling system is what prevents overheating the charging system in the car. This particular hose had a kink in it. So the charging device in the car would get hot. It couldn't cool down. So, the car would stop charging as a safety precaution. Everything else is fine with the car.

The dealer is replacing the hose and I get to pick my LEAF up tomorrow.

I will write more if it happens again, but I hope not. Even after only driving it a little bit, I love my LEAF.

C2theJ2theSMIT said:
I heard from the Nissan dealer today. They said that there is a hose that carries coolant to a cooling system. The cooling system is what prevents overheating the charging system in the car. This particular hose had a kink in it. So the charging device in the car would get hot. It couldn't cool down. So, the car would stop charging as a safety precaution. Everything else is fine with the car.
When the car's charging, you can feel vibration/cooling flowing thru a number of hoses connected to the PDM stack (http://www.sae.org/mags/aei/11993/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). Also, after at least an hour of charging or so, the entire stack will be warm. It's not enough to burn you but noticeably warm to slightly hot.

I just got off the phone with the service advisor from Nissan. First the car had the service campain NTB13-098 which was a firmware update prior to the purchase. Second the car had 10+ charging codes stored in it related to the Boshe Power Max charging unit that was installed after market. Some after market units are not 100% compatable with the Nissan Leaf. These codes limited that charge time from the Boshe unit to less then 20 minutes. Ultimitly effecting the 110 outlet charger. The codes were cleared and the car excepted 100% charge from the dealer. Sorry if some of the tech talk is off. Hope this helps. Changing out the boshe unit for a clipper creek unit that is compng recommended by the installer. I will be picking up the car later this afternoon. hanks again to all who post here...this is very helpful and full of good stuff.

I read the reviews too. But for some reason mine loaded codes on the car that messed up the charging cycle. The guy at Nissan gave me the service bulletin EL13-049 reference NTB13-105 dated December 4 2013. If your is working cool...mine screwed up the care...have it exchanged to the clipper creek which is SAE J 1772 standard specs for what Nissan call error free charging.

Got the software update on Tuesday July 1, and the dealership lent me their trickle charger for this week to see if it fixes the constant dreaded "Yellow Exclamation Point " :!: :!: :!: :!: . So far everything is OK.
The dealer said he would order another trickle charger for me next week if everything goes perfectly well.
I guess they have no way of checking my charger, they'll just send mine back.
This thread has saved me from going crazy, thank you guys..... :x :!: :!: :!: :D

mine is getting new PDM at the dealer tomorrow, 2014 S model with 3500 miles. EV light came on after our first level 3 charge. car was charging fine on level 2 at home. service adviser said that it is malfunctioning only on level 3 charging.

Back