Lites flash 3 at a time and beeping at me

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rudynfld

Hey there, happened about two weeks ago and it has happened about three times when I plug in my level two charger at home. All three blue charge lights on the dash flash at me and beep for about eight times. I can’t reproduce it, it just seems to happen sometimes. I contacted the manufacturer of the charger., grizzl e chargers out of Ontario Canada. They requested that I send a video. Unfortunately I can’t reproduce it. It just has to happen at some point when I plug it in. Has anyone had this happened to them? If so, is an issue with the port on the car or the actual level two charger. Cheers.

That's a problem with the PP pin. Most often, it's an incompatible cable or bad contact. The car expects a 220 ohm resistor between PP and PE, if it doesn't see that (due to the cable being the wrong rating and/or bad contact) it'll do the beepy dance at you.

Alternatively, if you have a post-facelift Leaf, it might be that your port lock is misbehaving. Upon insertion, the car will attempt to lock the port and it monitors whether the lock pin is fully engaged. The port locks have a known issue where the plastic gears inside wear down and break, causing the lock to not engage and the car to do the three light rapid beep dance. This will eventually happen to all pre-fix (pre-half 2019ish) post-facelift Leafs and requires replacement of the lock. You can diagnose that if you hear the lock not just make a whirring noise, but a clear grinding noise.

That's a problem with the PP pin. Most often, it's an incompatible cable or bad contact. The car expects a 220 ohm resistor between PP and PE, if it doesn't see that (due to the cable being the wrong rating and/or bad contact) it'll do the beepy dance at you.

Alternatively, if you have a post-facelift Leaf, it might be that your port lock is misbehaving. Upon insertion, the car will attempt to lock the port and it monitors whether the lock pin is fully engaged. The port locks have a known issue where the plastic gears inside wear down and break, causing the lock to not engage and the car to do the three light rapid beep dance. This will eventually happen to all pre-fix (pre-half 2019ish) post-facelift Leafs and requires replacement of the lock. You can diagnose that if you hear the lock not just make a whirring noise, but a clear grinding noise.
I was having this problem awhile back on my 2015 SV+ using a ChargePoint EVSE. Finally determined that the EVSE connectors were damaged. Everything worked fine on my home EVSE. Just another example of public EVSE units being unreliable.

Those 3-light beeps are usually caused by either of the following:
* Bad physical connection between the EVSE plug/connector and EV charge port.
* Issues with the EV charge port locking mechanism.
* The charge port lid opener (connector unlock) button on the key fob is pressed while the plug is connected.
* The charge port lid switch button on the dashboard is pressed while the plug is connected.

Back