hello all-My name is Chris-Please HELP

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjones75

hello all, first time here.. I joined in hopes of getting some advice. I have 2018 Nissan Leaf SV with 112,500 miles. at 105,000 miles I had to pay for a new PDM (power Distribution Module) which Nissan paid half of Dealer Warranty pricing. AT 112,500 a yellow "Service EV" light came and I had it towed to dealership who did update and told me there is a short in the battery. When I went to pick it up, it started and function fine for 3 weeks. One morning while I was charging, it again stopped charging, and the "service EV light came on. Nissan said it would be $16,000 dollars for a new battery (I was within the 8yrs , but outside of the 100,000 miles by 12,500 miles. Dealer really didn't have any answers for me. Does anyone have any advice or knowledge of this issue? Is the car done?

Your symptoms sound like it COULD be a high voltage leak to chassie. These can be in the battery pack itself or outside the pack. No way to tell for sure without diagnoses.
New pack will solve it if the leak is in the pack but not if it is elsewhere. There are shops that can work on the battery pack or replace it with a rebuilt pack.
If you want or can put the time and money into having it repaired is something I can not advise on. What I will say is you need at least one place to pin down the exact problem and it would be good to get a few experianced shops to look and give you estimates, It will be a tough decision

hello all, first time here.. I joined in hopes of getting some advice. I have 2018 Nissan Leaf SV with 112,500 miles. at 105,000 miles I had to pay for a new PDM (power Distribution Module) which Nissan paid half of Dealer Warranty pricing. AT 112,500 a yellow "Service EV" light came and I had it towed to dealership who did update and told me there is a short in the battery. When I went to pick it up, it started and function fine for 3 weeks. One morning while I was charging, it again stopped charging, and the "service EV light came on. Nissan said it would be $16,000 dollars for a new battery (I was within the 8yrs , but outside of the 100,000 miles by 12,500 miles. Dealer really didn't have any answers for me. Does anyone have any advice or knowledge of this issue? Is the car done?
Thank you for your help...

Chris, Cornbinder is correct that the problem could be inside or outside the battery. If your range is low then trying a new battery will at least restore your range even if the problem is outside. Otherwise, a very expensive gamble.

In my car, changing the battery did NOT solve this same problem. What I did was use LeafSpy to clear the codes so I could continue to drive each time this happened. Eventually the leakage cleared itself with no action on my part and I no longer see the dashboard warnings. Good luck with your decision.

Ironically, my 2021 SV Plus is currently in the shop for the second time for the Service EV System error. The first time was two years ago. They had it for six weeks and I *begged* Nissan Consumer Affairs to replace the battery, but instead they had their techs spend a few weeks replace the PDM, the air conditioner, then opening the battery and poking around inside until the error went away (only to return two years later!)

What I'm calling "irony" is that Nissan refused to replace the battery when it was their responsibility (warranty), but in your case, now that it's your problem financially, suddenly a new $16,000 battery is the first option!

Since the PDM was one of the things they tried first in my case, I'm wondering if it's not a coincidence that you didn't get the error until after you got a new PDM. 🤷‍♂️

Repair should never be a guessing game. Esp when we are talking ten thousand dollars. Dala has a video about his experience of a high voltage leak within the battery pack. It is clear that he could not only isolate the problem to the pack but down to the module level. the dealer can also if they put the time in. At that point it isn't a guessing game, you KNOW the source of the problem. There still may be other problems, but you have concrete proof that the battery is leaking power. To do it, the battery is dis-connected electrially from the car (Unplugged) and readings taken with a volt meter between the high voltage disconnect and the battery box it self.
sometimes the labor for disassembly to test is more than the labor and part, it which case it is cheaper to 'take a stab' at it by throwing a new part on. That is a rare situation but it is a course of action turned to far to often by those making the repairs. It is annoying when we are talking in the $500 range but close to criminal when we are talking in the $13,000 range.

Repair should never be a guessing game. Esp when we are talking ten thousand dollars. Dala has a video about his experience of a high voltage leak within the battery pack. It is clear that he could not only isolate the problem to the pack but down to the module level. the dealer can also if they put the time in. At that point it isn't a guessing game, you KNOW the source of the problem. There still may be other problems, but you have concrete proof that the battery is leaking power. To do it, the battery is dis-connected electrially from the car (Unplugged) and readings taken with a volt meter between the high voltage disconnect and the battery box it self.
sometimes the labor for disassembly to test is more than the labor and part, it which case it is cheaper to 'take a stab' at it by throwing a new part on. That is a rare situation but it is a course of action turned to far to often by those making the repairs. It is annoying when we are talking in the $500 range but close to criminal when we are talking in the $13,000 range.
I totally agree, I really hope this can be fixed much cheaper and easier than replacing the whole battery. Good luck.

Back