Adding ELECTRIC to your Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just finished mine. Thanks again hatuey for your suggestion on placement.

Dental floss (the wide Glide kind) kept breaking before it even bit into the adhesive behind the "Zero Emission" badge. So I tried some nylon monofilament that I had around and it worked well. It kind of lumped up the adhesive as I worked it along the badge from left to right, but it did no further damage.

I used blue painters' tape to establish a level line at the same level as the LEAF badge. I did some careful measurements of the height of the bottom of the letters from the bottom of the hatch lid at the "F" of "LEAF" and at the "T" for "ELECTRIC", since each of those letters is 4 letters in from the edge. I also matched the distance in from the edge of the hatch, which is 2 inches to the "L" of "LEAF" and the "C" of "ELECTRIC"

It really only took a few minutes. I was apprehensive, since I usually find some way to mess something like this up, but it was quite easy, really. The comments and pics on this thread were really helpful. Thanks to Randy for starting us all off, and actually, to Sparky, whose black LEAF was the first one I saw with the ELECTRIC lettering.

The pics also show my new license plate in place. :)

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

"ELECTRIC" applied

scaled.php

All done.

Nice job Phil, WATT UPP!!

Boomer23 said:
I just finished mine. Thanks again hatuey for your suggestion on placement.

Dental floss (the wide Glide kind) kept breaking before it even bit into the adhesive behind the "Zero Emission" badge. So I tried some nylon monofilament that I had around and it worked well. It kind of lumped up the adhesive as I worked it along the badge from left to right, but it did no further damage.

I used blue painters' tape to establish a level line at the same level as the LEAF badge. I did some careful measurements of the height of the bottom of the letters from the bottom of the hatch lid at the "F" of "LEAF" and at the "T" for "ELECTRIC", since each of those letters is 4 letters in from the edge. I also matched the distance in from the edge of the hatch, which is 2 inches to the "L" of "LEAF" and the "C" of "ELECTRIC"

It really only took a few minutes. I was apprehensive, since I usually find some way to mess something like this up, but it was quite easy, really. The comments and pics on this thread were really helpful. Thanks to Randy for starting us all off, and actually, to Sparky, whose black LEAF was the first one I saw with the ELECTRIC lettering.

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

"ELECTRIC" applied

scaled.php

All done.

hatuey said:
Boomer23 said:

Great plates. How long did it take to get them? I ordered mine last month. Are you going to install one up-front?

Thanks. I ordered them back last October, I think, and I got the card that they had arrived at the DMV office some time in December, thinking that I'd get my LEAF in January. Then they sat at the DMV for 4 months while I waited for my LEAF to be delivered and then waited two more months while I waited for my regular plates. I got a total of three post cards reminding me that the plates were waiting for me, but I never got a "final notice" card.

I'm going to get a plate holder that says "100% Electric" at the top and "Solar Powered" at the bottom. What do you think about a solid brass plate holder for a little bling?

I haven't had the front bumper drilled for a plate yet, but I'll probably go ahead and do it, just so I don't have to worry about getting hassled. I haven't seen an alternative front plate mount that I like.

Thanks everyone for the links and photos. The alignment, etc. look great! Since I am thinking about "100% ELECTRIC", I wonder how that would look. Seems like it might be too long and throw off the look. May need to right justify the zero emissions badge. Haven't seen any photos of this yet.

OilFreedom said:
Thanks everyone for the links and photos. The alignment, etc. look great! Since I am thinking about "100% ELECTRIC", I wonder how that would look. Seems like it might be too long and throw off the look. May need to right justify the zero emissions badge. Haven't seen any photos of this yet.

I think 100% ELECTRIC will look great. I agree Right Justified. Just place the ELECTRIC letters just a little closer than mine. Just a hair closer

leaf_electric2.jpg

All these variations look great, and I suspect we'll want to do something similar, but I'm wondering how it will look with chrome letters on a silver LEAF? Has anyone done this yet?

Glenn

Back