Adding ELECTRIC to your Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shaun - looks great. I already received the "Electric" for the back and sides of the car through the EBay web site and it appears they are the same as yours. So what style did you order for the 100% from your site as I am concerned that they won't match.

Thanks.

Glad I saw this before I installed mine.

electricfuture said:
Shaun - looks great. I already received the "Electric" for the back and sides of the car through the EBay web site and it appears they are the same as yours. So what style did you order for the 100% from your site as I am concerned that they won't match.

Thanks.

Glad I saw this before I installed mine.
It was the 1" Italic Chrome http://chromelettersandnumbers.com/italicchrome.html

Italic '0' italic-39039.... 2 @ $2.75
Italic Chrome Percent italic-chrome-percent-sign... 1 @ $2.75
Italic '1' italic-39139.... 1 @ $2.75

Cheers,
Shaun

Just finished sticking mine on. No need for pics - it looks exactly the same as the OP's (Randy's) :lol: We both have red cars, Lol.

The hardest part by far was removing the sticky residue that was left behind from the zero-emissions emblem (and also the sticky residue from my masking tape :oops: )

I added it right above "Leaf" on the left -

9r1.png

Got some rays of sunshine while taking the picture -

Boomer, I think I like your implementation the best, although the Zero Emission emblem still looks a little cramped IMHO.

Has anyone thought of getting rid of the burger (Nissan emblem)? When I had my Z Roadster that was the first thing that came off the rear, so the sun wouldn't have a chance to lighten the paint surrounding it too much. I used fishing line after softening up the glue with a hair dryer. The burger and adhesive came off easily.

Here’s Shaun's version on a white car plus my custom plate bracket. I used nylon fishing line to remove the Zero Emissions badge after letting it warm up in the Sun. It came off easily. I removed the remaining glue with my fingers.

I would like to thank the forum contributors for their input which was a great help.

z0ner said:
Has anyone thought of getting rid of the burger

Yep, I am actually considering what I have done to most of my cars, removing all the emblems. There are no alignment holes on the "burger" so the rear decklid would look clean with all of the emblems removed. No holes are shown in this production photo for verification:

Nissan-Leaf-production-line-body.jpg

I have changed the wheels and center caps so there are no Nissan logos there; that would just leave me with the front emblem. I am considering either modifying a 2nd charge door skin to flush in the recessed area of the "burger" and/or making a new lid all together (I have experience doing fiberglass/carbon molding/forming).

Some might be against removing all the emblems but I have always liked the cleaner look on my cars and normally remove them all the first day of ownership (I have waited 6 months so far with this car). The LEAF does blend-in with the scenery unless someone knows what it is; and most of the time either the headlights or taillights give it away. And in AZ we have the blue/white alt fuel plate to help identify it as an EV. Just my $0.02.

for the life of me, i can't figure out how to insert an image, so here's link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnnycee/5916461963

don't get too excited; i am a hemp advocate :)

I removed the Zero Badge with a fishing line after letting it sit in the Sun for an hour. It came off in a minute and had plenty of glue left to solidly re-stick it. I was able to remove remaining glue with my fingers and just cleaned the area with a micro cloth. Then used Blue tape to line things up. I laid the individual 100% letters on the used white background holding "Electric" and then dropped the used clear tape on them to hold them together. I then flipped them over and removed the individual letter backing and stuck them on the car. Note: Don't wax the car before applying.

I thank members of the Forum for their advice on this installation.

Here are my mods:

https://picasaweb.google.com/106799156281427173282/Jul102011?authkey=Gv1sRgCKLkrIDu1K7MwAE#

The 2011 Leaf models are winding down and soon only the 2012 models will be available...

Good thing for me I was able to get in early enough to buy one of the 2011 Leaf Limiteds....

'Scuse me while I turn on the heated steering wheel and charge up at 6.6kw...

limited.jpg

<just kidding> The "Limited" badge is from another car just for the photo....

I've been admiring all of the creative approaches people have been using to add "ELECTRIC" to their rides! I decided to go the ebay route and contacted Michael Whitman (ebay vendor theblueskyenterprise), asking him if he could add the "100%" to the "ELECTRIC" emblem he sells. He was more than happy to do this, and I bought the ready-made set (lined up & held in place), so I'd be less likely to mess things up.

I decided go yet a different way from others I've seen here, opting for an asymmetrical design. It might really bother those who like balance, but it's different, eye-catching, and I like it. And I got to show off my car today in the da Vinci Days parade and electric car display (Corvallis, OR)!

(Thanks, Randy, for your help in how to post a photo from Flickr!)

5944311803_a88f79dfa3_z_d.jpg

While you all are adding emblems to your cars I decided to remove all the emblems from mine. I am working on a custom fuel door for the front to remove the Nissan emblem from there as well. I prefer the clean look and it is easier to clean this way.

5945092847_f2684e9453_b.jpg

5945090835_722fcd2c9f_b.jpg

Is there a typographer in the house? I'd like to know the font that Nissan uses for the word "LEAF" on the car's badging. The subtle serif and clipped horizontals look pretty unique; this could be a one-off font.

Also, what's the font for the "100% ELECTRIC" that people have been ordering? It's definitely not Helvetica, but looks fairly common. WIth the vast variety of fonts being designed on computers nowadays, I suspect this one may have a name.

Thanks,

Glenn

Love the minimalist approach Skywagon, although I'm inclined you get several "what kind of car is that" questions.

It's so naked I want to throw a towel over it!

z0ner said:
Love the minimalist approach Skywagon, although I'm inclined you get several "what kind of car is that" questions.

It's so naked I want to throw a towel over it!

Actually, it seems I get more "Nice LEAF" comments now than I did before; it is strange. There are enough of them on the roads around here now that I think most people who care do know what they are. I have had a few people comment that they like the look without the emblems; even from a couple other LEAF owners I have encountered. I have actually not received a single "what kind of car is that" question at all in the 7 months I have owned the car.

Back