240V EV-ChargeAmerica EVSE - (likely scam buyer beware)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EV-Charge America has not responded to my e-mails for over a week now. I have been e-mailing Dwight. I am going to go with AV IF EV-Charge America does not get me the 240EV by December 8th!

JPC2822 said:
EV-Charge America has not responded to my e-mails for over a week now. I have been e-mailing Dwight. I am going to go with AV IF EV-Charge America does not get me the 240EV by December 8th!

Just a thought. You are considering buying an EVSE from a company that does not respond to pre-sales communication, so how would you expect them to respond when you have any issue whatsoever?

EVDRIVER- Dwight at EV-Charge America has responded probably 50% of the time. I am not too confident that EV-Charge America will get me the item any time soon. I would bet that AV will have it to me first. Will find out for sure next week when I call both of the companies every day!

JPC2822 said:
EVDRIVER- Dwight at EV-Charge America has responded probably 50% of the time. I am not too confident that EV-Charge America will get me the item any time soon. I would bet that AV will have it to me first. Will find out for sure next week when I call both of the companies every day!

This company seems off to me, I'll try and leave it at that.

I am close to believing that EV-Charge America is a sham and.or shady as well. I will give them until Monday or Tuesday to see if they ship or not! AV was actually much more nicer over the phone when I spoke to them last Monday or Tuesday!

Testing the EVSE, Phase 1:

I meant, without the J1772 nozzle connected to anything, and the EVSE ON, I think there should be 12v (measured to ground) DC on the Control Pilot pin.

After you load that pin with the proper resistor and a diode (in series, to ground), the EVSE should generate a "square wave" signal, about +9v and -12v, at 1kHz as I recall. That says the EVSE senses the car, and the duty cycle of the square wave "tells" the car the maximum current available, essentially at 10% per 6 amps, so 50% indicates 30 amps available.

From memory, the resistor is ABOUT 2.7k ohms, with the diode "pointing" to ground.

Of course I might have forgotten the exact values (see the J1772 2010 specifications).

EVDRIVER said:
ht2 said:
Hi Gary,

I don't know EV-ChargeAmerica unit is UL approved or not but if not I can not use it for Electric Vehicle because NEC625.
My only other choice to get it done by the end of year is AV.

My uneducated opinion is if there is no NEC625, Nissan could go to simpler solution. Implement manual charge current over ride to the Leaf and ship with simpler version of Tesla MC240 cable with car side connector change to J1772.
http://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/charging/products/universal-mobile-connector-available-october-2009

Why would they need to do this? What is your specific issue for charging?

Well ... as to U.L. approval ... I understand THIS part of his question. The answer is ... no:
http://www.pluginamerica.org/accessories
Just click the "UL or NO UL" button at the top of the page, and only the UL models will show.
I realize the UL question was almost a couple months ago, but it still seems to be true. Great price ... great features ... but ...

Anybody actually purchase one yet?

EVSE Testing - Phase 2:

To simulate the car's requesting power (asking the EVSE to close the relay to pass the 240v connection on out of the EVSE to the "nozzle"), parallel the 2.7k resistor with a 1.3k ohm resistor (thus, making effectively about 880 ohms).

The +9v (high side) of the Control Pilot should drop to about +6v (the -12v side should remain at -12), and 240v AC should appear across the two large "POWER" pins.

USE sufficient CAUTION.

Removing the 1.3k resistor should "turn OFF" the 240v AC, as if the EV is finished charging.

These tests check only the most basic functions of the EVSE.

NOTE: When the 240v AC turns ON or OFF, one should (usually) be able to hear a fairly loud "click" of the relay operating.

So has anyone received any real production unit yet? Darkstar... did they send you the new unit yet?

Part of me wants to go with this company over AV...but if they still haven't shipped a final working unit yet... will I be able to get one this year.. or will it be just delayed and delayed. Have good customer service is also important.. but it doesn't sound like they have good support. Seems like their unit is more durable that the AV one (and made in the USA).

hmm.....

Hello.
Bob at EV ChargeAmerica told me that their units would be completed around December 15th. Bob is the president of EV ChargeAmerica. I would continue to ask him... I went with AV cash and carry due to time constraints and the uncertainty of the EV ChargeAmerica unit.

At this point, it is not possible for me to know what to believe about EVCA.

Even ONE working, UL Listed EVSE would be a good start.

But, can one count on them, now, or for service later?

Back