240V EV-ChargeAmerica EVSE - (likely scam buyer beware)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
garygid said:
Maybe just add a second outlet on the same circuit, on the other side of the wall?
I would like to keep in on a dedicated circuit just in case. We just replaced our old electric dryer with a gas one, so I doubt we will ever need the 240v dryer outlet.

I live in the western portion of the state of Tennessee. I reserved a Leaf on May 10, 2010 and am being told by Nissan to expect being able to order in December, hopfully December, 2010. In the meantime I had the home assessment for the EVSE by AV in August. Given a quote of $2400 for unit plus install, which I find to be unrealistic, thus I have been pricing some other brands of EVSE's and looking at using a local electrical contractor for my install. One of these I was considering is EV-Charge America and their Level 2 unit. In fact I received an email today from Dwight saying the $649 special plus shipping was still active and to order today on-line, the units were in stock and they could ship so that you could receive the tax credit before the end of 2010. Dwight had left a voicemail on my home phone a week or so ago and directed me to a local distributor for EV-ChargeAmerica who had called me and priced the same unit at $899. I have been reading the threads on the EVSE blog concerning EV-Charge America and it looks like you guys are experiencing delivery problems from them to California. You might be interested to know that the distributor shared with me that leadtimes were running around 30 days due to all their shipments to California. I would like to hear from someone who has received one of the Level 2 units from EV-Charge America.
Leggedo
SL..white..QC...FM
reserved 5/10/2010
EVSE...brand yet to be decided, definitely not AV at $2400 installed

DarkStar said:
Quick update: I've been given a shipment date of 11/29 for my EVSE (arriving by 12/3). Once that tracking number shows up I'll definitely feel a lot better!

Great to hear! Hopefully mine will come soon as well. I just got a quote from my electrician this morning for $270 to install it with a new 240v plug. Saved enough off the AV quote to replace our washer and dryer. Replacing our old electric dryer and installing a new gas one so I can just the 240v line that is already on our outside panel out by the PG&E meter, just in case we run into problems with PG&E requiring it to be moved to a separate smart meter. AV was going to install it on our secondary panel that is already in the garage.

garygid said:
Is that good for an "in stock" item?

Remind me, when did you order the EV2104?

But, in any case, a "ship date" appears to be Good News.
Keep us posted. Thanks.

That's because they are not "in stock", if they were and it took them that long to ship just think of the turn around time to service when these break. I would love to see the inside of one of these boxes, if anyone can take a picture when its open for connections that would be good. I think that people will be shocked when they actually see what goes into an EVSE.

garygid said:
The EV2104 is a pkug-in EVSE, and is factory-sealed, and
breaking the seal voids the warranty, or so they say.

But, I would like to see (and investigate) the insides too.

So the electrical connections are in a sealed sub compartment? That's funny. If this thing can't be opened with a few screws there is a big problem. There must be serviceable parts. I thought this company said these were made in the USA or is this even true? I can't wait to see how this company is in year or so.

garygid said:
No connection compartment.
It has a plug-in pigtail that emerges from the "sealed" (with a security sticker, I presume) box.

CAN one ooen the box? Sure.

This is a "don't sue us if you get shocked" sticker. I have to really wonder about this company which is "rushing" people to place orders to day to get an EVSE by year end. In addition it seems the orders are stalled to group all transactions at once. When I call many different days there is never a live person answering and now no answering machine. The photos on their site are computer generated images of charging statins put in real locations, etc. I'm not saying that this is not a legit company but it sure is run poorly and a seemingly unstable manner. If they have the capital to make all these products they should do a better job running the business because it seems very "shoe string". How can they support customers if they can't even support pre-sales orders and questions? At the very least it's a poorly run operation which does not instill faith for a product that you will use on a daily basis. If they are real I give them 1-2 years and they are out of business. My theory of course.

OK guys, take a step back, a deep breath, and consider if you are being suckered in by the DEC 2010 deadline for the EVSE tax break. This thread if full of warning signs about this company. Think about value - a $2000 product that works well for years is better than a $1000 product that doesn't work at all. Forget the rebate and wait for a good product.

I received the following message, in response to my status inquire, yesterday...

"Your PayPal order has been confirmed and you are in the queue to be shipped. You will receive an email with the UPS tracking number and expected day of delivery soon."

This response came within a day of my inquiry. I have had no trouble getting responses from Charge America. Hopefully all goes well. I'll post when I get the UPS tracking number.

Back