240V EV-ChargeAmerica EVSE - (likely scam buyer beware)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bassman said:
Ordered their unit with the internet portal last week. They promised to get me the unit before the year end. We'll see if they do good on their promise. If not, I'm going to be very upset as it will eliminate the federal tax credit for me (about $1000 at 50% of my total install cost).

Anyone here receive a working unit yet? Any word from any of the other EV websites?

Is EVCA now refusing to replace this incomplete, non-UL unit that they "sold" to you?

Are you going to dispute the credit card transaction to get your money back?

Myself, I would not want to "illegally" install a non-UL device in my house.

I suggest returning it, getting a refund (if needed), and starting over with a "real", functional, UL-listed EVSE unit. Of course, other's opinions are likely to differ.

In fairness to EVCA ... So they are able to make "working" units ... Aug 28, 2010:

http://nashville-scooters.com/nashville-electric-vehicle-charging-station/
http://nashville-scooters.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/electric-vehicle-charging-station-nashville.pdf

garygid said:
Are they saying that it was their FIRST working (installed) unit?

But, still not the EV2104 model that we have tried to buy.
No, I think they are saying the first public access station in Nashville.

Look carefully at the video at 0:14-0:19 and again at 0:39+ and 1:38. The installation looks like it uses an EV2104 at the bottom, while also supplying a NEMA5-20R and possibly other outlets. Interestingly, though, at one point one of the presenters is holding the J1772 nozzle from the upper unit, not the EV2104, and calling it "the fuel of the future".

So ... is the unit at the bottom a "working" unit ? You'd hope so, based on a (probably/hopefully) inspected site.

LEAFer, the inspectors don't have equipment to actually check that the J-1772 is conforming to the standard, or even that it "works".

mitch672 said:
LEAFer, the inspectors don't have equipment to actually check that the J-1772 is conforming to the standard, or even that it "works".
Nissan should stop by from Smyrna (20miles) and test it :p

What a scam. Received this pdf letter from Bob, EVCA President, after they promised two weeks ago that I would get delivery by year end.

"EV-Charge America
Environmental Responsibility is hard. We make it easy.®
EV-Charge America – 9030 W. Sahara Ave., Suite 125 – Las Vegas, NV 89117
Phone: (702) 696-1600 – Email: [email protected] Web site: www.EV-ChargeAmerica.com
December 17, 2010

Dear Glen,
Thank you for your order on a Charge@Home™ Level II, EV Charging Station. We
appreciate your business and are looking forward to serving your EV Charging needs
with your exciting new electric vehicle purchase.
As you know, there was a mad-dash scramble toward year end to try and get EVSE
purchases in time to comply with the expiring IRS tax credit. The good news is that the
tax credit has been extended as part of the new tax legislation that was signed into law
just today.
To help you prepare in advance of receiving your new vehicle and charging station, in
this box, you will find that we are shipping you:
• Charge@Home™ Charging Station wall mounting bracket;
• Complete Installation Instructions, and;
• Free, complimentary 240 Volt wall outlet.
We’ve sent you this installation kit in advance, at no additional cost to you, so that you
can be prepared, in advance of your product delivery with the installation, permitting and inspections completed and ready to charge when your vehicle is delivered.
Because of the huge demand that we’ve experienced, well in advance of the cars showing up, and the fact that much of the existing production capacity of our suppliers has been taken up by other EVSE government give-away programs for early EV adopters, we are running a lot longer on delivery lead times than we expected to be. Please bear with us as we fill our supply chain and obtain the necessary components for fulfillment. As of today, we are still waiting for some required components from suppliers that quoted us 8 to 10 weeks of lead time, 14 weeks ago, and still they put us off daily. As soon as we can give you a firm date, we will. Thanks for your patience.
Best regards and happy driving,
Bob Rosinski
President
EV-Charge America"

I told Bob to cancel my order and refund my money immediately.

Yeah, a paid $699.64 on Pay Pal and sent them a $300 check for the smart internet portal option which they cashed on 10 December. What upsets me is that they knew when they took my order that they weren't going to be able to deliver it on time.

Rush said:
Hi all,
Boy am I getting educated... I wish I had thought of the Leaf before...
Your education isn't over yet.

The parts you are selling doesn't appear to solve any problem. The Leaf has a J1772 inlet already, and the EVSEs have the J1772 plug, so they are already compatible. No conversions needed.

The parts you are selling appear to be for converting a J1772 EVSE into a standard (dryer) outlet plug for charging something other than a Leaf. Not particularly useful to a Leaf driver, I would imagine.

Also, you might consider starting your own thread with these items for sale, rather than tacking your advert onto existing threads. Just sayin'

Yeah ... this should go in a new separate EVSE thread.

But I think there's an opportunity here for some DIY-minded geeks. The J1772 plug (with which to charge the LEAF) could be added to a) /replace an existing non-J1772 EVSE cable (thinking Avcon); b) make your own Pilot signal controller+plug; c) existing mobile connector (think Tesla).

:p

Bassman, thanks for sharing your experience. Yes, it appears you've been scammed. The ethical thing for EV-ChargeAmerica to do would be to apologize and refund your money, and when they do have it ready to ship (if they ever do) then they can contact you and see if you still want it - but clearly being an ethical business is just not their thing. You might never get that $300 check returned, but the amount that you paid via PayPal can be reclaimed. I advise you file a dispute with PayPal immediately. According to PayPal rules, a seller must ship you your order within a certain period of time. Since the EVSE hasn't even been shipped yet, I'm sure PayPal will refund the money back to you. But don't delay too long - according to PayPal, "All claims must be filed within 45 days of the transaction or the claim will be denied".

Back