240V EV-ChargeAmerica EVSE - (likely scam buyer beware)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
detlefo said:
Without comment, here is the complete text of the email ChargeAmerica sent me on October 13th.

Thank you for your inquiry. Yes, we are offering our EV2104 Level II Charge@Home unit at a limited time “special” price of $649, plus tax and S/H. Normal Delivery is 10 to 14 working days for delivery. Because of the limited time special pricing, we are currently back-ordered as you stated. We are shipping on a confirmed order basis.

To ensure early 2011 delivery, we would recommend ordering ASAP. We can take your credit card number over the phone. Simply call at the number listed below.

The EV2104 comes with a TWO year warranty.

Dwight Dagenais
EV Charge America
Sales Manager
702-204-7099

I have received same e-mail on 10/19.
What did you do?
I am thinking wait until Leaf test drive(schedule on 10/31) and get more information about EVCA before order.

I am going to wait for Leviton pricing. I will be test driving in San Jose on the 29th @ 11. Hopefully I can get some more info there. My order date is not until January so I can afford to wait and see what happens.

I received this email today (October 24).

Yes, the EV2104 Charge@Home unit is available to order. EV Charge America is currently special pricing this product for $649 on a limited time basis. Because of the response to this special price, we are currently backlogged for delivery. To expedite your delivery time, we are taking credit card orders via phone. Once an order has been confirmed via credit card, the product is shipped, rather than a wait list.

Simply call me at 702-204-7099 to place your order.

Thank you,

Dwight Dagenais

EV Charge America

702-204-7099

Did anybody get one yet?

On-line ordering lumps the $50 UPS Ground shipping in with the device cost, and charges tax on the total, but shipping should be excluded.

Apparently one can use PayPal, instead of a Credit Card.

No treatment of these issues:
1. receiving UL listing
2. is output 30, or 32 amps
3. the e-hose cord looks "skinny"
4. extra charges for Internet access
5. stock and availability status

So, ... is anybody ordering yet?

If it was a 16a, thinner cord and lower price as I expect Leviton to be I would be ordering it from EVCA before year end and take the tax credit delivered or not.

mwalsh said:
smkettner said:
If it was a 16a, thinner cord and lower price as I expect Leviton to be I would be ordering it from EVCA before year end and take the tax credit delivered or not.

Technically, the EVSE needs to be "in operation" to take the tax credit.

I'm sure the IRS will know that and even know what an EVSE is. If you have a receipt for purchase dated 2010 and can show payment then it should be fine. I won't be installing in 2010 but I will get the credit.

mwalsh said:
smkettner said:

Technically, the EVSE needs to be "in operation" to take the tax credit.

Actually, the wording on the IRS form is "in service".....I would imagine as opposed to "out of service".

The PDF claims the unit is "40 Amps", so there is your answer on that question...

http://www.ev-chargeamerica.com/EVCA_EV2104_Brochure.v916.pdf

The 40 amps is the input side circuit (and breaker).
I asked about OUTPUT.

A "40-amp" EVSE can legally "offer" (via the generated Control Pilot signal) a maximum of 32 amps to the EV. It might offer less, like just 30 amps.

So, what does the EV2104 actually "offer"?
I suspect 30 amps, not 32.

garygid said:
I asked about OUTPUT.

A "40-amp" EVSE can legally "offer" (via the generated Control Pilot signal) a maximum of 32 amps to the EV. It might offer less, like just 30 amps.

Can you please give me a link to that law that outlines "legally offering" regulations?

EVDRIVER said:
garygid said:
I asked about OUTPUT.

Can you please give me a link to that law that outlines "legally offering" regulations?
NEC continuous load needs to be 80% or less of the breaker

Hey Bob.
I ordered the same one EV Charge America Charger about two weeks ago. Please post when you get it and I will do the same!

John
Los Angeles County

Back