240V EV-ChargeAmerica EVSE - (likely scam buyer beware)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
garygid said:
Yes, I am looking north, because the even numbers seem
to be on the north side of the street, odd on the south.
Right.

Chipotle Mexican Grill just a little west is on the North Side at 9240 W. Sahara Ave., Suite 150, Las Vegas, NV 89117

And
Bank of the West, directly across on the South side of the street is at 9021 W Sahara, Las Vegas, NV 89117

EVCA was reported to be at Santa Monica today, offering their
EVSE for $699, as a show special, marked down from $899.

Not reported if they actually had any EVSEs there to buy on the spot.

No, they didn't have any to buy on the spot. Sorry I didn't reply sooner on that, Gary. They told me there would be an 8 week wait!!

So we're none too soon to act on that.

I have spent some time looking into the various charging station options (Blink, Coulomb, Leviton, GE, Aerovironments). There is a disturbing trend to all of them.

We are all aware of the AV scam. In my case, I have a free 50A circuit in my garage that is ready to connect to a chargepoint (new construction). My bid is $2300 for the install. The install will consist of connecting four wires and screwing a few bolts to the wall.

However, with the other commercial units, they are depending on Leviton's to be released evr-green adaptor. The pitch is that an "Authorized Leviton Installer" connects four wires to the Leviton device, then you can buy any of the branded chargepoints and connect it to the Leviton port.

This sounds great, but the hitch is in the "Authorized Installer" part. Leviton cannot stand that electrical parts are commoditized. The only way to avoid this with charging stations is to introduce "Authorized Installation", much like AV has. You won't be paying for the product, which will likely be about $1.98 of plastic and copper. You will be paying for access to the product. This is similar to high-end AV equipment whose prices are kept inflated by access restrictions.

I believe we should draft a letter to the Attorneys General of Washington, Oregon and California. The inflated prices are an obvious attempt to collude to capture subsidy dollars that are limited, neutering their effect and ripping off the American taxpayer. If each charge point consumes $1-2,000 in subsidies, it will run out quickly. If the chargepoints are instead priced reasonably at $150-200 (still obscene profit margin), then that same money could go 5-10x.

The goal should be to use taxpayer money to create a large base for electric vehicles, not to maximize the corporate profit per vehicle. The state should mandate that any charging station supplier sell their product with or without install. Let competition set the real price, not restricted access.

I emailed EVCA (again) to try to find out when we can buy one. About 10 days ago they told me to get in line, and that the wait was something like 12 to 14 days. I will let you know when I find out more.

I still do not know if a web/cell "connection" is required to use the device. If that RFID verification cannot be bypassed, that could be an inconvenience in some "private" applications.

However, until we know more, we do not know who to NOT buy from.

The RFID has me a bit put off. I do not need one more thing on my keychain or to hang on the wall next to it or whatever.

I want less features not more.

IF I was in charge, you would get better for less.

I like the idea of a total energy counter and a couple of "trip" energy counters (one charge, by day, by week, by month, and by PU billing period, for example), and an inexpensive display ... would be nice if it only added $35 or so.

But, what they are thinking, I do not know. Perhaps they are just packaging commercial "guts" into their own box?

I'd also like an EVSE that shows charging power used per charge. So the EVCA box has me interested. Otherwise, the Blink sounds good, though it's large and more expensive. I tend to trust Ecotality over a smaller startup like EVCA that has no record and about which we know nothing.

I'm not particularly interested in portability because I don't have destinations with available 240V outlets where I could charge.

The guy I talked to during the alt-car expo said that you can get the charger without the "web-card" for $650, although there is a 2 months wait. With the "web-card" (additional $150) it will talked to their server so you can go online and check your usage status and history, possibly using as a second meter if SCE approve, but there will be a $3 monthly charge.

Boomer23 said:
I'd also like an EVSE that shows charging power used per charge. So the EVCA box has me interested. Otherwise, the Blink sounds good, though it's large and more expensive. I tend to trust Ecotality over a smaller startup like EVCA that has no record and about which we know nothing.

I'm not particularly interested in portability because I don't have destinations with available 240V outlets where I could charge.

I would like both the meter and the portability, but those two desires most likely conflict, right ? . Ideally there would be a part that stays mounted to my garage wall, that includes the meter, and a part I could occasionally transport to a friend's house to get a charge for the drive back. Not likely to happen.

I have emailed both EVCA and the Ecotality. Thanks to you and garygid for all your research.

None of the brochures for either company I have viewed show the meter clearly. Is there a picture I have missed ?

Thomas

No missed picture.
Apparently like a Kill-a-Watt, w built in LCD display that can show perhaps 3 digits, like 25.6 (kWh).

The display goes wherever you go and "beg" for electrons. With the meter embedded, you can offer to pay (fairly accurately) for the "mooched" edies.

Just got an email from Charge America indicating that they are taking orders and are shipping "on a confirmed order basis". Their "limited time" price is still $649 plus tax and S/H. I have the correct 240 volt outlet in my garage and they state that this unit will plug into either a range or a dryer outlet. So it seems to me that all I need to do is mount it on the wall and plug it in. Seems too simple, am I missing something?

What is a "confirmed order basis"?

Do they actually have working units to ship?
The EV2104 units?

There are 2 kinds of dryer sockets (older 3-pin NEMA 6-30R, and newer 4-pin NEMA 16-30R), and the range socket might be the older 3-pin NEMA 10-50R or the newer 4-pin NEMA 14-50R, right? These 3-pin sockets do not have GROUND, so "should not" be used (without a ground) for powering the EVSE, which requires a ground.

How can their unit be "plugged into a Dryer or Range socket"?

Their FAQ page says that the plug is NEMA 6-50P (supplied on the pigtail), which would use the 3-pin NEMA 6-50R socket. It is just "similar to" a Dryer or Range plug, but NOT directly compatible (without an adapter).

Then, the typical Dryer is on a 30-amp circuit, ... and the Range is usually on a 50-amp circuit, right? (maybe 40-amp?)

The EV2104 outputs "32 amps" for the Control Pilot, thus needing at least a 40-amp circuit and breaker. Actually, they advise AGAINST using a 50-amp circuit.

Use of a 30-amp circuit would require a "24-amp" Control Pilot signal, which they say that the EV2104 will not do. Similarly, a "16-amp" Pilot would be required to use a 20-amp circuit.

According to their FAQ, the EV2104 has not yet received UL "listing".

If you order and actually get one, please let us know.

I asked them to put my name on the waiting list. No reply.
After 2 weeks I asked status. No reply.
No e-mail this time for order either.
I may have issue with "confirmed order basis" since I am in January order group.

I am using [email protected] email address.

ht2 said:
I asked them to put my name on the waiting list. No reply.
After 2 weeks I asked status. No reply.
No e-mail this time for order either.
I may have issue with "confirmed order basis" since I am in January order group.

I am using [email protected] email address.

I find it very interesting that after all the warning signs from this company pre-sale that anyone would consider buying from a company that has poor service, is disorganized, and likely may not be around in a year or two to even cover the product.

Back