240V EV-ChargeAmerica EVSE - (likely scam buyer beware)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow... just joined the forum, looking for Level 2 station for my home and there is a LOT of chatter back and forth on the topic... long thread to read...

Are there any residential EV charging companies out there that people can sort of all agree on as at least "OK"???

Thx,

Ken

evdriver said:
There is a thread on this topic with the same basic title as noted above, please post there as that is where this should have been posted. We don't need a third thread on this topic.

Thank you.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=88241#p88241

I disagree with your locking that thread and putting all the information into this thread. This thread has been off topic for most of the past 20 pages. The other thread is much newer, started by a person who actually purchased a unit and has been having other forum members testing it and I am awaiting his report from EVCA as well as Boomer and Gary who went over to inspect it with him. This thread should have been locked and all discussion of this particular unit should be directed to the new thread.

I agree, this thread was about the EVCA EVSE in general.
The other thread is about one buyer's experience.

Maybe the newer thread's title should be modified to clarify the subject.

Please unlock the other thread, that has (had) ongoing discussions.

I will unlock that thread. In the future members need to do a better job at thread titles, regardless that thread will end up off topic like this one and we will have three redundant threads. I believe there were other user experiences shared on this product and there is yet another thread on this topic.

I think this company is a fraud. I ordered (and paid for) one of their charging stations in November of 2010. In December they said they were real busy and would send me a bracket. In response to my inquiry in May of 2011, they said they would ship me a unit the first week of June. Now it is the first of week of July and I have yet to receive my charging station.

I strongly recommend against order a product from these guys. They led me to believe I was ordering an EV charging station. I got a $649 bracket that can be purchased at any hardware store for $10.

Ed Blackmond

If you don't perform due-dilligence before you send an unknown entity your $$$, AND use a payment method that can't be contested, you deserve to kiss it goodbye.

evchargeamerica.jpg

**********WARNING on EV-Charge America**********

EdBlackmond said:
I think this company is a fraud. I ordered (and paid for) one of their charging stations in November of 2010. In December they said they were real busy and would send me a bracket. In response to my inquiry in May of 2011, they said they would ship me a unit the first week of June. Now it is the first of week of July and I have yet to receive my charging station.

I strongly recommend against order a product from these guys. They led me to believe I was ordering an EV charging station. I got a $649 bracket that can be purchased at any hardware store for $10.

Ed Blackmond

**********WARNING on EV-Charge America**********

Hello Fellow forum users.....

As you can see, this is my first post here and I want to warn others of my experience with EV-Charge America. Just as Ed Blackmond has indicated in his post, these folks are taking our money and failing to deliver the product we paid for. They were very good at responding to e-mails and returning phone calls until recently and now that I have phoned and e-mailed them and told them to cancel my order and refund my payment, they are not returning phone calls or e-mails. If you are considering ordering anything from them I would be VERY weary of them.

I plan on taking action against this company and would ask that if there are others that are in the same situation as I am, we consider coordinating our efforts. Please private message me here and we can discuss what EV-Charge America has done and what options we may have to seek a remedy.

I would like to update fellow forum users on my ongoing issue regarding the fact that I paid EV-Charge America $699.64 for a EVSE on Feb 28th 2011 and had not received the unit as of 8 July 2011 when I notified them that I wanted to cancel the order.

I have been successful in getting PayPal to review this case and due to the circumstances involved here, in which I was lead along by e-mails and phone calls promising delivery in a short time, PayPal has indicated that they would refund the purchase price of this transaction. The key to successfully getting this corrected was speaking directly via phone with a PayPal representative who can review the account details.

I highly recommend filing a 5 minute report with the Internet Crime Complaint Center at http://www.ic3.gov to help stop people like this.

CJF said:
I highly recommend filing a 5 minute report with the Internet Crime Complaint Center at http://www.ic3.gov to help stop people like this.

Well done CJF.

When I think about these ongoing situations, and some of the interactions this company had with another MNL user and purchaser of their unit, I can only think back to a popular misquote of Samuel Johnson's axiom: "Lawyers are the first refuge of a scoundrel".

I have been using their EVSE for several months now with no problems. After an initial problem with the unit was found when I first tried to charge my car, the unit was sent back for repair and has worked great since. I do agree that they have a major communications problem.

Communication is not the only problem with this company, I'm willing to bet this company does not last and those that have units will be left to service them on their own and they will need service. The EVSE is going to be a commodity and the market leaders will survive not clueless start up companies like this. No mater how many new threads are started on this topic and how much smooth talking they do to get positive reviews from a few owners it will not change the facts. Some people will still buy from this company after reading all this (and other suppressed threads) and they will get burned. This has been going on in the EV space for years and years and yet people turn off their common sense. I hope people get their money back and I hope finally people stop thinking this company and EVSE are a good idea. I see no value in this unit when a converted Nissan unit is far superior and since the IRS tax rebate is vague one could buy a new converted Nissan EVSE and file for the 30% tax credit. Best of luck to those to get their money back soon!

EVDRIVER said:
since the IRS tax rebate is vague one could buy a new converted Nissan EVSE and file for the 30% tax credit.
I guess I might get to try this. I bought a new EVSE from my Nissan dealer and had Phil upgrade it.

tps said:
EVDRIVER said:
since the IRS tax rebate is vague one could buy a new converted Nissan EVSE and file for the 30% tax credit.
I guess I might get to try this. I bought a new EVSE from my Nissan dealer and had Phil upgrade it.

The last time I read the code it was very non-specific as it covered a generic range of equipment. I'm not giving tax advice but I would have no issue taking the credit if I bought a new unit, even the cost of the upgrade on an existing unit is subjective.

They did no "Smooth Talking" for a positive review. I was simply stating my experience with the unit. If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't. If it quits I have a modified Nissan EVSE and a AV in the box that I got on eBay.

Back