2015 Lease Deals?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heading into the dealer today to see about a 2015 SV. I have a 2013 S right now and want to move up to the heat pump. Anyone have any recent deals they can post here to help me?

I am looking for info on recent lease deals in bay area (open to S/QC). Looking to lease one pretty soon. Please let me know if you come across any.

The last time I was looking to lease, I had car salespeople on me like fleas on a dog, except harder to shake off. This time, as soon as I wrote that I'd rather get an email quote than come in (a 40 minute drive) to "talk to a sales Rep" I heard nothing more whatsoever from the dealership. I guess that whatever "deals" that they had in my area have dried up.

I have been shopping from three weeks, got pretty good deals till 8/31 and after that everything disappeared. Something changed from 9/1. Probably nissan changed their policies.

Presently, I am at the end of my 36 month lease on a 2012 Leaf EL. I am paying $249 a month with zero down. In the last few days I have looked into leasing a 2015 Leaf EL to replace my 2012 and I have been very surprised that all of the quotes for the same lease were anywhere from $560-$745 a month. I have yet to find anyone who would quote me even close to $249 a month.

I can only surmise that Nissan is trying to heavily discourage people from leasing their new Leaf with the purpose of forcing prospective customers to buy rather then lease. Perhaps Nissan took a real beating over the last several years with most Leafs being leased, and the new business plan is to raise significantly The number sold. Any thoughts?

lshaw7878 said:
... Perhaps Nissan took a real beating over the last several years with most Leafs being leased, and the new business plan is to raise significantly The number sold. Any thoughts?
The auction prices show their residual guesses were crazy high.
NMAC lost a lot, maybe even more than the warranty costs on their defective battery.
They have adjusted the residuals to more accurate values which has doubled lease monthly cost.

I picked a 2015 SL from Hayward Nissan yesterday. I worked with Kaylee ([email protected]).

They had by far the best price and made the buying experience truly one of the easiest I have ever had. Totally upfront and honest about the pricing and fees. None of the "come down and lets talk" BS that I got from many of the other dealerships. Finance person was also great. No hard sell on paint protection and other stuff. Even suggested I put some items on my credit card so I could avoid the interest and tax that I would get hit with if I rolled into lease.

They had a White SL for $189/mo that I passed on for silver.

Silver SL
Premium Package
$3,500 out the door (lic, tax, fees, tax, first payment)
$219/mo ($239 w/ tax)
36k miles

$31,590 Price
$13,344 Cap Cost Reduction
$18,920.24 Adj Cap Cost
$11,038.85 Residual

$599 for prepaid wear and tear.

They have a bunch of Leafs available, so ping her today and she can hook you up with a killer deal and great service.

(Updated w/ Mileage)

Robert, the low residual values are generally bad for buyers. You will generally be better off with a higher residual value. See https://www.fightingchance.com/auto_leasing.php for the math. You are probably thinking that the low residual is like a low-priced call option, but you are paying for that dollar-for-dollar (plus interest) in the monthly payment. All other things equal, you will always be better off with a higher residual value. However, if residual value declines are matched (or exceeded) by a concomitant decline in the capitalized cost (can't speak to this, but I'm guessing they haven't been), then such a decline would be good for buyers for the call option value.

tce said:
Robert, the low residual values are generally bad for buyers. You will generally be better off with a higher residual value. See https://www.fightingchance.com/auto_leasing.php for the math. You are probably thinking that the low residual is like a low-priced call option, but you are paying for that dollar-for-dollar (plus interest) in the monthly payment. All other things equal, you will always be better off with a higher residual value. However, if residual value declines are matched (or exceeded) by a concomitant decline in the capitalized cost (can't speak to this, but I'm guessing they haven't been), then such a decline would be good for buyers for the call option value.
The low payments quoted above are the result of applying the $7,500 federal rebate (leasing company takes it instead of you) and heavy discounting by Nissan. Low monthly payments below $200 for a $36,000 car and $11,000 to buy at lease end. Many on this forum who leased three years ago had higher payments and $20,000 residual.
The $7,500 federal rebate changes the leasing numbers completely which is why 75% of us lease

EVforRobert said:
Notice the very low residual of the above lease. That is the best part of the deal IMO.

How? I don't think you fully understand how a lease works. A low residual is terrible for a lease since that's the part you aren't paying in lease payments. You want a high residual in a lease, because your lease payments will be less.

When you lease a car, think of it like eating a pie. There's always that 100% of the pie that has to be eaten.

Cut out your residual and set it aside. Nissan eats that piece of the pie (when you turn it in, they sell it at auction or the dealership tries to sell it on the lot).

Now cut out whatever dealership and manufacturer discounts are offered, and set those aside. You get $7500 from NMAC. Nissan has to eat that piece of the pie.

Now look at what's left- this is your portion. If the residual is high, you'll have a smaller amount of pie to have to eat. If it's lower, you'll have a larger amount of pie to eat. Now add whipped topping. That's your interest (called money factor).

Now cut that up into 24 or 36 or 39 months, and each one of those slices is your lease payment.

Low residual is the worst part of a lease, not the best part.

Nolansdad said:
I picked a 2015 SL from Hayward Nissan yesterday. I worked with Kaylee ([email protected]).

They had by far the best price and made the buying experience truly one of the easiest I have ever had. Totally upfront and honest about the pricing and fees. None of the "come down and lets talk" BS that I got from many of the other dealerships. Finance person was also great. No hard sell on paint protection and other stuff. Even suggested I put some items on my credit card so I could avoid the interest and tax that I would get hit with if I rolled into lease.

Silver SL
Premium Package
$219/mo ($239 w/ tax)
36k miles

$31,590 Price
$18,920.24 Adj Cap Cost
$11,038.85 Residual

They have a bunch of Leafs available, so ping her today and she can hook you up with a killer deal and great service.

(Updated w/ Mileage)
This is a real lease with low residual and low payments, the result of heavy discount and the lessor taking the $7500.
How does low payments + low residual = bad?

There are several things to consider. First, you have to decide if you will likely to be buying the car when the lease ends. In that case, a low residual with low payments is great news. If you will be turning the car in, though, the residual should be as high as possible in order to get the payments as low as possible. The question of interest ("money factor") tends to get a bit more attention than is necessary, IMO, because if you aren't buying the car eventually, all you have to look at is the total cost of ownership for the lease. That means downpayment + fees + total paid in monthly payments. A dealer ca give you a good money factor and screw you on fees, or vice versa, so total cost of leasing or total cost of ownership for those buying the car, are all you really need to worry about. Since there is more than one kind of lessee, there is more than one Right Answer.

EVforRobert said:
Nolansdad said:

Silver SL
Premium Package
$219/mo ($239 w/ tax)
36k miles

$31,590 Price
$18,920.24 Adj Cap Cost
$11,038.85 Residual

(Updated w/ Mileage)
This is a real lease with low residual and low payments, the result of heavy discount and the lessor taking the $7500.

your questions arise because you have not considered the full picture. Not sure I can say anything that will make a difference to you since several have already tried and failed.

what you have is $3500 plus 35 payments of $219 or $11, 165

now what I have is 35 payments of $245.75 minus a "overpayment" check (didn't mention a downpayment because there was none) of $137.53 for a total of $8463.72

now some clarification; I have a 2013 S with a charge package so different lease terms and I also have 15,000 miles which adds to the lease cost at the rate of 10 cents per mile over the deal above but my price, although slightly higher was nearly the same. I had no sales tax and my adjusted cap cost is $20,990.75 (which should be more than enough to account for the sales tax difference)

I leave you this to consider your "good" deal

DaveinOlyWA said:
EVforRobert said:
Nolansdad said:

Silver SL
Premium Package
$219/mo ($239 w/ tax)
36k miles

$31,590 Price
$18,920.24 Adj Cap Cost
$11,038.85 Residual

(Updated w/ Mileage)

your questions arise because you have not considered the full picture. Not sure I can say anything that will make a difference to you since several have already tried and failed.

what you have is $3500 plus 35 payments of $219 or $11, 165

now what I have is 35 payments of $245.75 minus a "overpayment" check (didn't mention a downpayment because there was none) of $137.53 for a total of $8463.72

now some clarification; I have a 2013 S with a charge package so different lease terms and I also have 15,000 miles which adds to the lease cost at the rate of 10 cents per mile over the deal above but my price, although slightly higher was nearly the same. I had no sales tax and my adjusted cap cost is $20,990.75 (which should be more than enough to account for the sales tax difference)

I leave you this to consider your "good" deal
You left out the $2500 back from the state. You need to consider all factors to decide if the deal is good. I failed? That's a little harsh. Put away your calculators everyone. I choose to spend as I wish. My thoughts are my own.
Peace

Robert, you didn't do badly, and if you love the car and want to buy it, you got a good deal because of the low residual. I do have one question: you seem to be counting "tax" twice. Can you explain this?

$219/mo ($239 w/ tax)

LeftieBiker said:
Robert, you didn't do badly, and if you love the car and want to buy it, you got a good deal because of the low residual.

Why not just buy it outright then? 0% financing for up to 72 months and $10k in "buy" incentives is still available I think. Considering the lease buyout incentives we saw lately low residual on the Leaf sounds like a bad deal. Having said that, there is a good chance that the days when high residual was offered are over.

Back