2013 LEAF Pricing and Features-S:28,800 SV:31,820 SL:34,840

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
evnow said:
downeykp said:
This is all fine and dandy but remember it still will only go +/- 50 mi. in the winter. And the $7500 Federal tax credit only works if you have $7500 in tax liability after deductions. If yo lease this is not a problem. But if you buy make sure you pay at least $7500.
I think this price drop along with significant upgrades should convince more people to lease rather than buy.

what is the logic there, please?
the reason to lease is all about battery uncertainty and that hasnt changed.

you can always get the full 7.5k if you use your ira to roth conversion ability.

thankyouOB said:

The viability of the LEAF battery is certainly on the mind of some, but for the vast majority of potential LEAF owners it is not the primary driver in the lease vs. buy decision.

For many it is a financial consideration especially for those that are on a budget and low monthly payments are a consideration. Leasing tends to be favored by that driver.

For others, such as myself, the technology maturation/price reduction curve is the primary driver in the decision to lease. As with any new technology platform, it is not until the third or fourth generation of a product that the original product design goals are realized. The first two or three versions are compromises of cost, schedule, technology, logistics, etc. A good example of that is the iPhone. It was not until the iPhone 3, that the original product design goals were realized.

We have certainly seen this with the LEAF. I expect that the 2014 model will contain advancements in battery technologies and capabilities, which will bode well for those early adopters that currently have 2011 models. Those that leased their 2011 will be able to move from a very good 1st generation BEV into a extremely good 3rd generation BEV with extended range and other new capabilities, very competitive pricing and content, and an even higher level of quality. Those that bought their 1st generation model will be able to expect residual values comparable to an ICE car if trading in, or will have options to refurbish their vehicles power train to a level comparable to when the car was new.

Hi I'm a potential Leaf buyer and new to the board.

I find myself in a tough spot, mainly because there's a lot of uncertainty...

I never considered buying/leasing a electric, or any similar type of car, just something always out of the box. My coworker mentioned the $199 lease deal for the 2012 and after running the numbers, it was a no brainer. We're also looking on buying a SUV soon to accommodate our growing family. The plan is to sell both our cars and lease a leaf as my commuter car, and make the SUV the family car. What I pay in gas to go work equals what the lease would be so that's a no brainer, and it's cheaper to maintain.

So, we did some calling around and learned that hardly anyone in northern CA has any of the 2012 SV in stock. I found one about 40 miles away. I called my local dealership and they said they would look around but mainly said, the $199 isn't a money maker for them and it doesn't make any sense for them to buy the car from a different dealership and turn around to lease it at $199. So my options if I want this is to get it myself which isn't a big deal.

But then yesterday they announce the 2013 and that they are continuing the 199 lease... There's not much details, and I don't know if they are going to move that lease price to the S trim or keep it on the SV model.

So the tough spot is... Do I wait for the 2013 and risk the lease price going to a "cheaper model" or do I skip the newness factor and go for the 2012 that is in stock now?

Welcome, naednek!
naednek said:
So the tough spot is... Do I wait for the 2013 and risk the lease price going to a "cheaper model" or do I skip the newness factor and go for the 2012 that is in stock now?
If I were you, I would wait a month or so and lease the 2013. It might be slightly more money to get the SV or SL version, but it is also a somewhat better vehicle than the 2012 or the 2013 S which you can get for $199/mo.

I don't understand leasing given that these cars are retaining their value very well (as did the first gen Prius), it seems like you're much better off buying, getting all the rebates, and selling after 2-3 years. I think you'd end up way ahead. To each his own of course, but I don't see the money working out.

I disagree. I leased my Leaf EXACTLY because of uncertainties about the battery and car and resale value. It turns out that it was a very smart thing to do as we all now know. I was also able to negotiate a money factor below the best Nissan was offering at the time which made it an even smarter deal... I also expect that the 2011 and 2012 resale prices will drop considerably in the next year or two.

BTW, the Leaf is the first and only car I have ever leased...

OrientExpress said:
thankyouOB said:
The viability of the LEAF battery is certainly on the mind of some, but for the vast majority of potential LEAF owners it is not the primary driver in the lease vs. buy decision.

EvansvilleLeaf said:
philipscoggins said:
downeykp said:
This is all fine and dandy but remember it still will only go +/- 50 mi. in the winter.
It was cold today in TN & I hit LBW at 49 miles, have yet to hit VLBW, I actually kicked the defroster back on at that point hoping to see it before I got home, but no such luck LoL!

Philip
Strange - in the 20s here and I get 55+ out of 80% charge. Haven't had the seats or wheel off in a few weeks and run the heat judiciously as needed - including a few minutes' preheat when I'm out on really cold nights.

Nothing was listed in that option table for the "energy saving hybrid heating system" that is supposed to help range in colder climates - is that not an option for an S model, and therefore only available from the factory on the SV (and SL) as standard equipment (per the press release)? I'm fine with all the cuts to create the S model, but was planning on upgrading to the faster charger and the optional heating system since I live in CT which is frequently in the 20's during the winter. My commute is 38 miles each way, and was hoping to squeek out driving RT with only a minor top off at home since where I work we have a charging station I can use for free. I'd be leasing, so I'd plan to fill to 100% since, honestly, I wouldn't be worried about LT battery life.

Unfortunately, that appears to be correct. You need to upgrade to at least a SV to get the hybrid heater...

jfon101231 said:
Nothing was listed in that option table for the "energy saving hybrid heating system" that is supposed to help range in colder climates - is that not an option for an S model, and therefore only available from the factory on the SV (and SL) as standard equipment (per the press release)?

TomT said:
Unfortunately, that appears to be correct. You need to upgrade to at least a SV to get the hybrid heater...

jfon101231 said:
Nothing was listed in that option table for the "energy saving hybrid heating system" that is supposed to help range in colder climates - is that not an option for an S model, and therefore only available from the factory on the SV (and SL) as standard equipment (per the press release)?
Yes - basically S is a little stripped down version of 2012 SV.

evnow said:
TomT said:

jfon101231 said:
Yes - basically S is a little stripped down version of 2012 SV.

While I had hoped that the S would work for me, there were three items that to me are more than worth the $3k extra to get to the SV....cruise control, hybrid heater, and 6.6kW charger...roughly in that order.

Now I need to decide between the red (my original choice before cancelling my 2012 order) or the new slate...which looks pretty slick in pictures.

Desertstraw said:
Does anybody know how this will affect residual prices for those of us who have leased the Leaf?
Not at all. The residual prices are set and don't change.

evnow said:
Desertstraw said:
Does anybody know how this will affect residual prices for those of us who have leased the Leaf?
It may, however, impact NMAC's ability to resell the turnbacks for anywhere near the residual price.

evnow said:
Desertstraw said:

I don't understand. A three year old car has a degraded battery and other wear and tear disadvantages. If newer cars are cheaper why wouldn't this make them less valuable?

Got a reply from my dealer regarding the 2013MY.

"I have spoke to my manager and we have cars on order that meet that configuration. They have not given us and exact ETA as of yet. Nor have they given us the final price release or incentives. As soon as I get the word I will let you know."

Sounds like they have no clue as to availability. Asked about a Metallic Slate SV with LED package or standard SL.

Desertstraw said:
evnow said:
Desertstraw said:

I don't understand. A three year old car has a degraded battery and other wear and tear disadvantages. If newer cars are cheaper why wouldn't this make them less valuable?

It makes the 2011/12 less valuable, but that is not the leasees issue, it will be Nissan's issue.

wantonsoup said:
I don't understand leasing given that these cars are retaining their value very well (as did the first gen Prius), it seems like you're much better off buying, getting all the rebates, and selling after 2-3 years. I think you'd end up way ahead. To each his own of course, but I don't see the money working out.
Assuming a 3 year old Leaf is worth anything near ~18K residual (which I don't think they will be as gen2 becomes cheaper), my numbers show only a ~$2,500 advantage for buying. That's not worth the risk of buying gen1 imho (especially considering the current battery issues and the way corporate is handling it).

Did you figure in that lessees can also get the full federal tax credit via a capital cost reduction (and the extra $4650 in NMAC lease incentives over purchase incentives)?

We'll have to agree to disagree. "only" $2,500? That's huge. $2,500 is roughly 10% of the net purchase price (after incentives). And it's a lot of buffer in case resale price does drop a bit. Again, to each his own, but I don't see the advantage in leasing and if resale stays high and you end up putting a scratch on it, the lease may end up being a seriously bad deal. And I don't see the $4,650 lease incentive continuing with the 2013's. It'll potentially drop to $0, maybe $850 as it was on the Leaf previously.

wantonsoup said:
We'll have to agree to disagree. "only" $2,500? That's huge. $2,500 is roughly 10% of the net purchase price (after incentives). And it's a lot of buffer in case resale price does drop a bit. Again, to each his own, but I don't see the advantage in leasing and if resale stays high and you end up putting a scratch on it, the lease may end up being a seriously bad deal. And I don't see the $4,650 lease incentive continuing with the 2013's. It'll potentially drop to $0, maybe $850 as it was on the Leaf previously.
Agreed to disagree, not arguing just hoping to see differing viewpoints from others and or change my own.

Nissan has announced 2013 $199 leases will remain in place, I assume the way they will continue to do this using higher lease vs. buy incentives (according to Edmund currently $10,150 vs $5,500 = $4,650 advantage). I do hope resale remains high, but with gen2'/gen3's projected to cost up to a third less then gen1, I personally do not see getting $16-17K (my 3-year breakeven point lease vs buy) on a used gen1 three years from now.

I have never leased before since it did not make any financial sense to do so, opting instead to buy and keep a vehicle for 8-12 years. But with the Leaf lease numbers (combined with questionable long term battery capacity, and unknown repair/replacement cost, both which could devastate resale value), leasing three years for $8,000 total and then buying hopefully cheaper and more mature gen2/gen3 makes more sense to me.

We'll see what the future holds, look back and laugh at how wrong I was :) .

Back