$7,500 Fed Tax Credit CHANGES in 2023 BIG TIME

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
voltamps said:
I'm seeing some pretty new-ish looking '21 Leaf SV+ models with not many miles on them for around $20k plus or minus.
A $4,000 tax credit takes a nice chunk out of it!

Yes, this is the 2021 SV+ I'm selling:
https://www.findmyelectric.com/listings/2021-nissan-leaf-sv-plus-218549/

Please check out the website that I posted. An intermediate on-line dealer will handle the sale and therefore allow a qualified buyer to save up to $4000 in federal taxes. In addition, the title and funding are also handled so that both parties are at "arms length". The link to the on-line dealer are included in the description section.

This was quite a revelation to me and I'm hoping someone will take advantage so that I can go through the process and report out to the forum.

Marktm said:
Please check out the website that I posted. An intermediate on-line dealer will handle the sale and therefore allow a qualified buyer to save up to $4000 in federal taxes. In addition, the title and funding are also handled so that both parties are at "arms length". The link to the on-line dealer are included in the description section.

This was quite a revelation to me and I'm hoping someone will take advantage so that I can go through the process and report out to the forum.

That makes your car very attractive proposition then!

Yes, it's a great automobile, but I don't need two EVs and my wife has "fallen in love" with her Tesla MYLR - never saw that coming :mrgreen:

I'm willing to make quite a deal for someone that understands both the real advantages (and limitations) of the SV+ - and that qualifies for the $4000. I am simply unwilling to "give it away" to a reseller, which is the unfortunate current situation with used (and new!!) EVs. I'll continue to use it for all its advantages until the right person wants it.

When you go to===> fueleconomy.gov, you discover only the 2024 NISSAN LEAF & LEAF SV +
qualifies for a $ 3,750 IRS Tax Credit , when you do the 2023 Tax Return. The government wants
to fight Climate Change, but this EV incentive game really sucks! Are other Nissan Leaf owners aware
of this harsh reality scenario ??

When you go to===> fueleconomy.gov, you discover only the 2024 NISSAN LEAF & LEAF SV +
qualifies for a $ 3,750 IRS Tax Credit , when you do the 2023 Tax Return. The government wants
to fight Climate Change, but this EV incentive game really sucks! Are other Nissan Leaf owners aware
of this harsh reality scenario ??
It's not a Leaf thing only.. it has to do with where the battery materials was sourced and where the battery was built.

I could never figure out why purchasers of EV's feel the taxpayers should pay for part of their vehicle? It makes no sense to me.

I'm still curious why they're not eligible for the whole $7,500. They build both the car and the batteries in Tennessee.

Maybe the mineral supply chain goes to some not-approved places. I don't know. They don't provide that info in the Nissan presser.

I did send an email to the EV press contact at Nissan several weeks ago asking if they were gonna get their tax credit back or if I should be looking at VW if I wanted to spend my money on a Tennessee-built, tax credit-eligible EV. No response. But then, this week, they published this press release. 🤔

I'm still curious why they're not eligible for the whole $7,500. They build both the car and the batteries in Tennessee.

Maybe the mineral supply chain goes to some not-approved places. I don't know. They don't provide that info in the Nissan presser.

I did send an email to the EV press contact at Nissan several weeks ago asking if they were gonna get their tax credit back or if I should be looking at VW if I wanted to spend my money on a Tennessee-built, tax credit-eligible EV. No response. But then, this week, they published this press release. 🤔
See https://afdc.energy.gov/laws/409 for the requirements. I can only guess that Nissan was only able to meet one of the requirements there.

I could never figure out why purchasers of EV's feel the taxpayers should pay for part of their vehicle? It makes no sense to me.
It's in order to reduce the cost and make the vehicles (initially expensive) which will then eventually allow for economies of scale and the vehicles to take off.

Do keep in mind that per https://www.imf.org/en/Topics/climate-change/energy-subsidies "Globally, fossil fuel subsidies were $7 trillion or 7.1 percent of GDP in 2022, reflecting a $2 trillion increase since 2020 due to government support from surging energy prices."

See https://afdc.energy.gov/laws/409 for the requirements. I can only guess that Nissan was only able to meet one of the requirements there.
I'm aware of those requirements. It's just frustrating that Nissan isn't more forthcoming about which of them they're unable to meet.

I was a public relations man in a former life, so I understand the unwillingness to share that kind of granular detail, especially if the detail might not make the company look great. So, more frustrating than that is the lack of any kind of statement from Nissan saying what, if anything they're doing to meet the requirements to get to full rebate eligibility.

Actually, it's an indirect pass thru to the car maker; The incentives allow them to add an additional premium to the car price.
When I purchased my 2011 Leaf in 2011, I paid $19k, net out the door, after collecting for all the incentives.

EVs face an uphill battle against ICE vehicles because ICE vehicles are so established. Incentives are meant to be a temporary measure to increase EV industry production. This will in turn reduce EV production costs and make them more competitive with ICE vehicles with the ultimate goal of eliminating ICE vehicles and their emissions for the good of our planet.

Back