2013 Drivers: D Mode or B Mode?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
planet4ever said:
In the LEAF that is not an issue. The physical gear train is not in neutral. The motor is always spinning at a speed which is directly proportional to the speed of the wheels. That proportion does not change whether you are in Drive, Eco, or B. It doesn't even change in reverse; the motor is just spinning backward. And that is still true when you are in "neutral". If you are stopped, the motor is stopped. If you are moving, it is spinning.

Ray
The drivetrain is not my concern. The LEAF, as many cars are these days, is a rolling computer. Systems such as Nissan's Vehicle Dynamic Control (the electronic stability control system), Traction Control, and even systems as simple as Anti-Lock Braking rely on sensor inputs. Many sensor inputs rely also on other simultaneous sensor inputs. It is the computer's job to sort out these inputs to determine the proper response. Should one input not be the expected one, I don't want to be the first to find out. I am not advocating that other's not drive in neutral if they wish. I am only proposing that there may be other factors in play that have not been considered.

2013 SV here.

I drive in B mode whenever I drive in ECO mode.

And/OR

I drive in B mode whenever I know I am going to be stopping/slowing for many traffic lights.

Lastly, I also drive in B mode whenever I am going to make a long trip. I will take all the regen I can get over those long distances.

planet4ever said:
But you had better be confident you know how to use CO2Free's solution before the first time you take your car to a drive-through car wash!

Ray

No joke! Yesterday my wife and I took our new Leaf through a car wash for the first time. I'd never had the car in Neutral before, but hey, the puck showed that you just move it to the left, so how hard can it be, right? I give the guy the money, close the window, move the puck to N, and nothing happens! About that time, I feel the tractor thing grab the tire, lift the car, and pop out the other side. The guy yells, "Put it in neutral!" My wife and I frantically try to get it into Neutral, over and over, as the tractor drags under the tire and lifts and drops the front of the car two more times. I backed up, off the track and opened the window and told the attendant the problem. "Just hold it to the left," he said, and he was right. I felt pretty darned stupid at that point, but we managed to get through the car wash without killing anyone.

- Scott

svanhoosen said:
planet4ever said:
But you had better be confident you know how to use CO2Free's solution before the first time you take your car to a drive-through car wash!

Ray

No joke! Yesterday my wife and I took our new Leaf through a car wash for the first time. I'd never had the car in Neutral before, but hey, the puck showed that you just move it to the left, so how hard can it be, right? I give the guy the money, close the window, move the puck to N, and nothing happens! About that time, I feel the tractor thing grab the tire, lift the car, and pop out the other side. The guy yells, "Put it in neutral!" My wife and I frantically try to get it into Neutral, over and over, as the tractor drags under the tire and lifts and drops the front of the car two more times. I backed up, off the track and opened the window and told the attendant the problem. "Just hold it to the left," he said, and he was right. I felt pretty darned stupid at that point, but we managed to get through the car wash without killing anyone.

- Scott

I'm impressed that the attendant knew how to do it. I wonder if he drives one, or if he has had this problem before with another Leaf...

Sorry to have a novice question.

I just started to drive '13 LEAF SV from the last week (and this is my first EV).

I was surprised that many people uses N mode. Is it good to have N?

I tried ECO, but its acceleration isn't fun. But, B mode was okay. I'm mostly using B mode.

I'm also wondering that whether B mode can boost the range. Is there any information?

Thank you!

I use ECO B mode for mainly braking ( one-pedal driving), but if you want to increase your range, Neutral/Coasting in N is best.

carolle said:
I was surprised that many people uses N mode. Is it good to have N?
I'm also wondering that whether B mode can boost the range. Is there any information?
IMHO:
- It is best to coast as much as possible. It is better to coast in D or B because you can react to traffic situations more quickly. Just modulate the pedal for zero power. It can also become addictive because driving with essentially one foot is easier.
- B-mode can increase range if it is used instead of applying the brake. You will still need to apply the brakes to come to a full stop. I usually use coasting and then regen to drop under 10mph before applying the brakes for the final stop.

LEAFguy said:
Also, engineers design cars to be driven in gear, not in neutral. Not to say that all systems won't work properly if coasting down hill, but the engineering team likely never tested that scenario.

since there are no gears this statement does not apply

DaveinOlyWA said:
LEAFguy said:
Also, engineers design cars to be driven in gear, not in neutral. Not to say that all systems won't work properly if coasting down hill, but the engineering team likely never tested that scenario.
There is a reduction gear.

LeafLeafLeaf said:
I use B mode, but it's dangerous when someone is following me behind because brake lights do not turn on...Nissan needs to update software.
I also have noticed this, the B mode slows the car very quickly and those following have no warning. a solution could be what some commuter buses have which is yellow warning lights that are illuminated whenever the driver takes his foot off of the accelerator.

apvbguy said:
LeafLeafLeaf said:
I use B mode, but it's dangerous when someone is following me behind because brake lights do not turn on...Nissan needs to update software.
I also have noticed this, the B mode slows the car very quickly and those following have no warning. a solution could be what some commuter buses have which is yellow warning lights that are illuminated whenever the driver takes his foot off of the accelerator.

Yes, since B mode is super grabby, this is what I do. While decelerating, I apply a touch of brake to let person behind know that I'm braking, and then gradually let foot off the accelerator to a stop.

How is this any different than decelerating by downshifting, something that has been done without incident in vehicles for many decades.

LeafLeafLeaf said:

TomT said:
How is this any different than decelerating by downshifting, something that has been done without incident in vehicles for many decades.
in theory it isn't any different but in reality most cars, for the last few decades have automatic transmissions and 99.9% of the drivers of those cars do not down shift to slow down

apvbguy said:
TomT said:
in theory it isn't any different but in reality most cars, for the last few decades have automatic transmissions and 99.9% of the drivers of those cars do not down shift to slow down
If I just let foot off the accelerator to a stop, I noticed drivers behind get way too close, or just get pissed and move over to next lane.

DanCar said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
LEAFguy said:
There is a reduction gear.

and its engaged or disengaged how often?

I'm in D mode. I shift into B mode as I'm coming to a stop after I coast a little bit. Is this bad for the regen sys? I like this method cause it doesn't cause a sudden slow down when you lift off the pedal. I'm afraid it might damage the regen sys.

BlackLeaf13 said:
I'm in D mode. I shift into B mode as I'm coming to a stop after I coast a little bit. Is this bad for the regen sys? I like this method cause it doesn't cause a sudden slow down when you lift off the pedal. I'm afraid it might damage the regen sys.
There aren't any moving parts (save for the shifter knob and it isn't even a mechanical switch). The motor is linked to the wheels and keeps turning in the same direction. All you are doing is reversing the magnetic fields in the motor to turn it into a generator. It isn't at all like using a transmission in an ICE car. What you are doing by using B mode is reducing the wear and tear on the LEAF brakes and recovering some of the kinetic energy of the car.

The higher regen charge rate going into the battery might stress it some but it is similar to a DCFC (Quick Charge) except it is for just a brief time as you slow. (If you were to descend a long hill using B mode that would heat the battery some.)

Don't worry about it.

Back