20,000 miles

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reached 20,000 miles on Sunday, April 29th, exactly one year to the day. Not one issue. Cars great. Battery test was 5 of 5 stars and my range is back up to where it was last April with the warmer weather. :D

Another LEAF hits 20,000 with zero issues and zero maintenance cost.
Range seemed to be dropping a bit for the last three months but in the last week range seems back to near new. Range was dropping enough I thought I might lose the 12th capacity bar. Now I am back to thinking it will hold for some time yet.
Have been charging 100% lately as I have been driving more. Has been warmer but not much over 80 if that.
I expect no problems in the next 20,000 :D :cool:

My LEAF officially ticked over 20,000 miles yesterday (8/4/12) on the way
home from our SoCal LEAF gathering ... 2 days short of 14 mos.

Freakishly, I had ticked over 10,000 miles 1 day short of 7 mos.

It may be time to buy my first Lottery ticket. :)

I joined the 20k club this morning. That's 17 months of eDriving without benefit of an ICE backup. I didn't think I would make it this long without a second car, but also told myself I would use my Federal tax credit to buy a used car for longer range excursions - sorry, the infrastructure of electric cars just isn't there yet.

Who knew the IRS would demand the "manufacturers certification", without being able to tell us what that is? Oh well, maybe the refund will show up next month. And I might try to stretch things to my second anniversary of LEAF ownership before buying the second car.

Cinnabar said:
I joined the 20k club this morning. ... And I might try to stretch things to my second anniversary of LEAF ownership before buying the second car.
... or ... NEVER buy a 2nd one; use $ on rentals ...

P.S.: Congrats ! :)

LEAFer said:
Cinnabar said:
I joined the 20k club this morning. ... And I might try to stretch things to my second anniversary of LEAF ownership before buying the second car.
... or ... NEVER buy a 2nd one; use $ on rentals ...

P.S.: Congrats ! :)

Thanks, I really do like the car. But... there are so many great day trips in the SF Bay Area that are outside the LEAF range given the current infrastructure, buying a used car makes more sense. I have loved not worrying about gas prices, and also enjoy the fact that my work location had ChargePoint charges ready for me the week after I picked up my car. Maybe if there is a burst of L3 charger installations, I will change my mind, but I don't really see that happening fast enough.

Cinnabar said:
Who knew the IRS would demand the "manufacturers certification", without being able to tell us what that is? Oh well, maybe the refund will show up next month.
Congrats on the milestone! Any luck getting the certification letter?

surfingslovak said:
Cinnabar said:
Who knew the IRS would demand the "manufacturers certification", without being able to tell us what that is? Oh well, maybe the refund will show up next month.
Congrats on the milestone! Any luck getting the certification letter?
The dealership I purchased from offered to write a letter, but when I called Nissan North America, they said use this: http://www.irs.gov/businesses/article/0,,id=230506,00.html, which I hand labeled "manufacturer's certification" and faxed it along with a large pile of documents showing I purchased and own a LEAF. We'll see...

DaveinOlyWA said:
DarkStar said:
FYI, just hit 28,900 miles this morning. Time for the countdown to 30k!
can you check your GID count? any noticeable range degradation yet?
I don't have a GID meter, however I haven't noticed any range reduction yet. I do plan on picking up a LEAFSCAN as soon as it is available.

We hit 20,000 miles yesterday while driving along the beautiful north shore of Big Bear Lake, CA. As most of our LEAF's miles have been in the San Bernardino Mountains, it has proven to be a very nice mountain car.

For battery longevity, we do drive slowly when climbing the mountain all the way from the valley that is 5000' below us. After some capacity loss that coincided with me starting a job in the hot Valley, we are now trying to minimize time spent parked in the summer heat down there. Up here, we do not need A/C and the LEAF is at 5 temperature bars and below most of the time. :)

We went over 20000 miles at 14 months. No visible degradation, but I do not have anything to measure the GIDs. No issues at all with the car or the Blink charger.

was hoping to hit 21,000 miles before Sept but that wont happen. car will end up with about 20,954 and will be leaving in Prius for camping as soon as SO gets home from work.

i do have GID meter and have degradation but minor and well within my "acceptable" range since is way below my "expected" range. GID count is 275-276 or 2% degradation...i can live with that

Just rolled over 20k as I was coming into the parking lot at work this morning. No loss of capacity bars for me (yet). Some loss in autonomy that has been mostly made up by increasing driving efficiency - driver has gotten much better and the car is allowing regeneration sooner.

20k miles yesterday (32000 km):

IMG_0887.jpg

Todays 80% charge gave 211 gids. I got the car since 2011-07-07 with 2700€ saved on diesel and 560€ spent on eletricity.

camasleaf said:
We went over 20000 miles at 14 months. No visible degradation, but I do not have anything to measure the GIDs. No issues at all with the car or the Blink charger.
Likewise here, although it took us 17.5 months to hit 20K miles. Had the tires rotated for the second time yesterday. They are wearing evenly, but will be down to the wear bars in the next 5K miles, I think. Have not lost a capacity bar, but am seeing 9 instead of 10 bars on every other 80% charge these days. Range has not yet been a problem, but may have deteriorated somewhat. It's hard to tell without having any accurate instrumentation (can't wait for Phil's Scangauge to become available) or doing any rigorous range testing. We seem to be using the car even harder than ever, driving more miles and charging to 100% more often in anticipation of longer trips, as well as using opportunity charging from the Blink network more than ever during the day. Even with a 30% capacity loss, the car will continue to meet our needs, perhaps with a little more time lost for charging away from home, but I sure hope that it is the advertised 8 years before that happens and not 3, or 5.

TT

Back