20,000 miles

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made it past 20,000 milles this week. I'm 15 months in. I drive way more now than when I have had any another car in the past and the Leaf is so much more fun to drive. It drives smooth as butter.

I charge to 100% twice a day weekdays so I expect to have some capacity loss but I can't know for sure if I actually do without a testing tool.

I drive pretty aggressively most of the time which helps me go less far. On the weekends I hyper mile to go longer distances. I would have more miles if there were more quick chargers.

Hit 20,000 miles today. 16 months of ownership. Unfortunately when I don't get to trickle charge at work, my 72 mile commute (at 4.8 kW/mile on the dash) is getting me home with VLBW. Hopefully it'll last me the last 20 months of Lease ownership.

May I recommend applying for one of the free ChargePoint chargers for your place of work.

After charging at work, you won't have to go vlbw as often. Having chargers at work is a life saver for me.

xtremeflyer said:
Hit 20,000 miles today. 16 months of ownership. Unfortunately when I don't get to trickle charge at work, my 72 mile commute (at 4.8 kW/mile on the dash) is getting me home with VLBW. Hopefully it'll last me the last 20 months of Lease ownership.

EVDrive said:
May I recommend applying for one of the free ChargePoint chargers for your place of work.

After charging at work, you won't have to go vlbw as often. Having chargers at work is a life saver for me.

xtremeflyer said:

We don't own our building and the Property Management isn't interested, even when my company said they would pay for one (this was last year). I've sent them the information about the free one, but I'm not optimistic.

I hit 20,000 miles yesterday. Sorta snuck up on me.
- 15 months of ownership
- No issues or problems
- 5 stars in all areas of the 1 year battery check
- No noticeable drop in range from my observation of distance traveled over a known route until the first bar disappears from 100% charge
- Charging to 80% normally
- Charging to 100% about 2 times a week
- Driven every day
- Never meet the turtle
- Plugging-in every night at night and leaving it plugged in until used the next day
- Quick Charging about once a week since this past summer

DaveinOlyWA said:
myleaf said:
Just wondering how everyone's tires are holding up. My tires are almost worn out at 18,000 miles.

Steve Marsh; 60,000 miles PLUS on his OEMs...

what is your tire pressure set at?

41-42. Not anywhere ready for a set yet. But my tires as a rule go over 100K miles. Almost all freeway.

higher pressures reduce wear. TaylorSF is a prime example of that. the other thing is simply road conditions. He drives thru Oly every day, the state capital where the freeways are in nearly pristine condition. get 10 miles north of town and the conditions deteriorates rapidly.

driving styles help too.

**edit** ah, "someone" submitted the post while I was on a "French Toast Flip" session...

but driving styles make a difference as well. Steve's high mileage is primarily due to high freeway driving percentages. guessing that 100,000 miles of freeway is equal to 30,000 miles on the streets as far as tire wear. that is a HIGHLY unscientific # and could be more along the lines of 100,000/60,000

DaveinOlyWA said:
...but driving styles make a difference as well. Steve's high mileage is primarily due to high freeway driving percentages. guessing that 100,000 miles of freeway is equal to 30,000 miles on the streets as far as tire wear. that is a HIGHLY unscientific # and could be more along the lines of 100,000/60,000
Wet roads also help, I believe, although one takes a hit to range. Then there are the dirt roads where I live plus steep mountain twisties; no I never even come close to the rated mileage on tires. Ever.

dgpcolorado said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
...but driving styles make a difference as well. Steve's high mileage is primarily due to high freeway driving percentages. guessing that 100,000 miles of freeway is equal to 30,000 miles on the streets as far as tire wear. that is a HIGHLY unscientific # and could be more along the lines of 100,000/60,000
Wet roads also help, I believe, although one takes a hit to range. Then there are the dirt roads where I live plus steep mountain twisties; no I never even come close to the rated mileage on tires. Ever.

ok, i should clarify; relatively "straight" freeways do minimal damage but not always. yesterday on my way home from work, I was behind someone who was jerking back and forth in their lane. it was as if they were having a tug of war over the steering wheel. it was pretty bizarre.

Underinflated tires (28) wear out the edges, overinflated (44) wear out the center. Been there done that.

OEM Leaf tires lasted 30,000 by which time they were illegal with barely any thread. All freeway.

I bought low res Michelins at Costco. Run them at 38. Will update the exact name later. Got the wheels aligned as well -- it was definitely needed. They are warranted for 50,000 miles, so I expect the tires to outlast the battery ... :D

DaveinOlyWA said:
ok, i should clarify; relatively "straight" freeways do minimal damage but not always. yesterday on my way home from work, I was behind someone who was jerking back and forth in their lane. it was as if they were having a tug of war over the steering wheel. it was pretty bizarre.
Some people just drive like that: somewhat like steering a boat, a little to the left for awhile then a little to the right for awhile and you generally stay on the intended course. The idea of slight steering adjustments to maintain a truly straight line is beyond their ken. I find it rather disturbing when riding with such people but it is not politic to mention it because every driver believes he/she is above average.

Then there are the DUIs but that's a different issue entirely...

ILETRIC said:
Underinflated tires (28) wear out the edges, overinflated (44) wear out the center. Been there done that.

OEM Leaf tires lasted 30,000 by which time they were illegal with barely any thread. All freeway.

I bought low res Michelins at Costco. Run them at 38. Will update the exact name later. Got the wheels aligned as well -- it was definitely needed. They are warranted for 50,000 miles, so I expect the tires to outlast the battery ... :D

42/40 on the Prius 42 all the way around on the LEAF. just checked all 4 tires (2 were replaced so still near new) and i cant touch the bottom of the groove on any tire all the way across. as far as I can tell, the wear is dead even.

on the Prius which needs tires replaced soon (have about 48,000 on the OEM's) the tread wear is dead even. not sure what pressure you need to put the tires at to cause them to bulge in the middle but guessing its got to be pretty high

dgpcolorado said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Some people just drive like that: somewhat like steering a boat, a little to the left for awhile then a little to the right for awhile and you generally stay on the intended course. The idea of slight steering adjustments to maintain a truly straight line is beyond their ken. I find it rather disturbing when riding with such people but it is not politic to mention it because every driver believes he/she is above average.

Then there are the DUIs but that's a different issue entirely...

ya know when i first saw the car i immediately thought it was a medical emergency so i hauled ass to get up next to them and when i did it was a young couple in their early 20's so i figured they were playing grab ass or something...

DaveinOlyWA said:
on the Prius which needs tires replaced soon (have about 48,000 on the OEM's) the tread wear is dead even. not sure what pressure you need to put the tires at to cause them to bulge in the middle but guessing its got to be pretty high

With modern radials probably close to 100lbs to get bulge-out wear on the center.. get a precise thread depth gauge and keep an eye on the tires. The ride is very uncomfortable at 100lbs :)

26,000 so far and I expect to get 35,000 to 45,000 miles out of these tires. I run near max sidewall pressure.
Best case probably replace next winter either way. Probably choose a different brand.

Back